Josh Schuster in 2020 ??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
And it is noteworthy that the only player that Des has brought to the club .... drumroll ..... is Morgan Boyle ... no wait ... he also signed Musgrove .... ****te ... forget that last one ....

What about Waddell & Garrick ??

That's right, Barrett had good players but Des has them performing and pumped for a premiership @;)

Interesting way to rephrase ... I prefer the fact that Barrett put the squad together on a limited budget .... I agree however that Des, Donnie, Monners, Ballin, Crusher et al are the ones to get a top performance out of them ...

This is one of the most exciting pre-seasons I can recall. Putting my "Des" and Nostradamus hats on I would say young Albert Hoppa might be a first cab off the rank.... likely in for Elliott. Ben T next inline for an injured George on the wing. Shuster in for Walker either as injured or moving to centres to replace an injured Parker / Suli. Funa might get a chance if we loose both Parker and Suli to injuries. Young Sione Fainu not sure he will get a run this year given the depth of forward talent we have. I cant actually recall us being in this position before. Challenge will be to keep all these young guys interested......and in the cap. I am sure Des has all this uppermost in his mind!!!
I am highly doubtful Schuster would get a run at 5/8 for Walker. If Schuster gets a gig it would likely be at centre or off the bench.
I also dont think Ben T will play 1st grade this year. Elliott, Hoppa, Funa, Sam Smith, Miski and Anderson are all likely to start before Ben T. Maybe next year he might get a gig but unless Ben does something extraordinary in this pre season then he will not get a game.

I am highly doubtful Schuster would get a run at 5/8 for Walker. If Schuster gets a gig it would likely be at centre or off the bench.
I also dont think Ben T will play 1st grade this year. Elliott, Hoppa, Funa, Sam Smith, Miski and Anderson are all likely to start before Ben T. Maybe next year he might get a gig but unless Ben does something extraordinary in this pre season then he will not get a game.

What will be interesting for both Ben T and Schuster will be the evolution of their games and their best positions ... both are 2nd rowers and centres with Schuster also being a 5/8 ..... versatility is great ... but it can also hinder or slow development .....

Certainly do not mind being corrected and think that i referred to this before but where is the indication that young Schuster has previously played as a centre in the junior ranks . Probably good and for his development that he has played in the 6 role periodically but doubt that he is being groomed for Manly i st grade there , back row in all likelihood . Similar to the very promising Haumole Oloka . Thomo and . Siro in the short term with these two young guns being part of the back row mix and all things normal before not too long .

And it is noteworthy that the only player that Des has brought to the club .... drumroll ..... is Morgan Boyle ... no wait ... he also signed Musgrove .... ****te ... forget that last one ....

Des is a super coach ... and he and his team will get the best out of the players ..... BUT .....

Credit where it is due ...... This team and all the up and comers are 100% the squad Barrett put together ... despite 3 years of Salary cap pain ...

PSSS ... Cue the numbnuts ... (not aimed at you Bear)
Not Bozo?

Certainly do not mind being corrected and think that i referred to this before but where is the indication that young Schuster has previously played as a centre in the junior ranks . Probably good and for his development that he has played in the 6 role periodically but doubt that he is being groomed for Manly i st grade there , back row in all likelihood . Similar to the very promising Haumole Oloka . Thomo and . Siro in the short term with these two young guns being part of the back row mix and all things normal before not too long .
There is no real indication that he has played centre before. It is just an obvious solution to groom him for 1st grade.
Remember Garrick was a centre his whole career but makes a damn good winger. Fainu was a half but makes a damn good hooker. Just because a guy hasnt played a position regularly before doesn't mean they wont be successful in that position. Everyone keeps saying he's a 5/8 or 2nd row... Correct me if im wrong but they are 2 completely "different" positions. Centre and 2nd row are very "similar" positions these days and a number of players can play both rolls extremely well.
If Schuster can play so successfully at 5/8 and also 2nd row then why couldn't he also play a very similar position at centre?

There is no real indication that he has played centre before. It is just an obvious solution to groom him for 1st grade.
Remember Garrick was a centre his whole career but makes a damn good winger. Fainu was a half but makes a damn good hooker. Just because a guy hasnt played a position regularly before doesn't mean they wont be successful in that position. Everyone keeps saying he's a 5/8 or 2nd row... Correct me if im wrong but they are 2 completely "different" positions. Centre and 2nd row are very "similar" positions these days and a number of players can play both rolls extremely well.
If Schuster can play so successfully at 5/8 and also 2nd row then why couldn't he also play a very similar position at centre?
Your pretty spot on - 2nd rowers play a similar role to a centre but are tighter and generally aimed at the edge defence, while lock is often a ball playing forward, which is the similarity to 5/8 and often have short kicking games as a bonus

Would that be Scott Fulton signing them up at that stage as Trent was already on the nose ??

Quite right. I didn't express myself well in suggesting Hasler had been responsible for getting players to the club. I should have indicated his influence and skill made the teams he coached. But the real people who got most of these juniors to the club were the recruitment group, in pacticular young Fulton, folowing in his father's footsteps. Barret brought a few in but the vast majority were brought over by Scott Fulton and his team. In 2005-8 period it was no doubt Noel Cleal and his team

Would that be Scott Fulton signing them up at that stage as Trent was already on the nose ??

We can only ponder .... but these negoatiations are usually the result of many months of planning .... I have no doubt that others were involved ... and if Scott Fulton was ... then well done to him .... but remember not all were signed in the last stages of 2018 .....

I am sure he did .... But We can't have it both ways Budgie ... As head coach Barrett was blamed for every thing including DCE kicking out on the full once and the team bus being 10 min late .... we would be a little phsycotic to now suggest he didn't have anything to do with putting this squad together ....
And no one on Silvertails is a little psychotic!

One player I am curious has not been mentioned, with Manly struggling for a hooker, is the SG Ball hooker from last year, Jack Birt. I've watched some of the highlights of that team's performances and he gave excellent service, was nippy, strong and ensured the likes of Schuster were getting the ball early. Is he still with Manly and why is he not mentioned in dispatches?

Yeah... it is a well known fact that Bozo and Scott raided the best juniors from multiple clubs a few years ago. A lot of the other clubs were up in arms about it at the time. It was a fine strategy because we were hampered by the Snake and Matai salary dramas and its paying dividends now it would seem.

Yeah... it is a well known fact that Bozo and Scott raided the best juniors from multiple clubs a few years ago. A lot of the other clubs were up in arms about it at the time. It was a fine strategy because we were hampered by the Snake and Matai salary dramas and its paying dividends now it would seem.
Yeah parra fans make note on Schuster on Twitter we stole him

As far as well known facts go ... @Smokin Joe ... help me out here with your wisdom .... would I be correct in thinking that the driving force behind getting many of our younger players like the fainu's and guacomole was that u/20's coach that also coached St Gregory's I think it was .... wasn't he the link instrumental in attracting a lot of the talent ?

As far as well known facts go ... @Smokin Joe ... help me out here with your wisdom .... would I be correct in thinking that the driving force behind getting many of our younger players like the fainu's and guacomole was that u/20's coach that also coached St Gregory's I think it was .... wasn't he the link instrumental in attracting a lot of the talent ?
No doubt he played a key role [ Lampkin ] but also no doubt in conjunction with the then Manly recruiting staff and the pleasing thing also is that when he left the Manly coaching scene , all of the acquired juniors have been retained . Good result all round , at least to date [ Fainu "s current situation excluded ]

Talented and naturally good footballers like Schuster could probably play in any number of positions and still perform well and take your point there but again just seems right now that back row is considered his best fit . Just out of left field and realize that he is a big boy [ but obviously still very mobile ] wonder how he may go as a bench 9 or utility player until he maybe is established as a Manly back rower . Should be capable of handling the rough stuff in the middle and his attacking flair could trouble some tiring and slower pace ruck formations . Also as acknowledged as a heads up for Fainu "s style of attack . maybe Schuster could do the same . Used to be a guy named Ray Brown in the Eighties who played lock to prop for Manly [ and international ] woodsie would have known him ] but did particularly well as a hooker . Point is also that big boys can still do well as a 9 if they are good enough .

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4