Josh looks forward at Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
From today's Manly Daily. They have a pic of Josh with the following "Manly's marquee signing for 2008, Josh Perry, is looking forward to getting back to playing his best football with the Sea Eagles. " Marquee signing?

John Greco
13Nov07

NEW Manly prop Josh Perry has declared he is ready to resurrect his representative career by starring for the Sea Eagles in 2008.

Perry made one appearance for NSW in 2003 but a run of injuries and a drop in form has meant the Newcastle junior has failed to add to his tally.

After a difficult time at the Knights last season, Perry is confident his best football is still ahead of him and believes working with new coach Des Hasler will help his return to the representative arena.

``It's definitely a goal of mine . . . it was too long ago now,'' Perry said after half of the Sea Eagles squad began pre season training at Narrabeen yesterday.

``I want to get back to rep footy and I'm really focused on playing my best for Manly. Playing Origin again is something I spoke to Des (Hasler) about before I came here. I've got a lot of faith in Des as a coach and I know he's got a lot of faith in me.

``I think the next three years will be my best and hopefully I can get that Blue jersey back.''

First the 26-year-old will just be hoping to crack a spot in the Sea Eagles engine room that already boasts representative quality in Kangaroo prop Brent Kite and Jason King.

Manly will also be expecting local junior Adam Cuthbertson to continue his development in 2008 while forgotten prop George Rose is making steady progress from a broken leg.

``It's half of the reason I came here,'' Perry said. ``I want to better myself and I know I'm going to have to be playing my best just to get into the 17 let along the starting line up.

``There's so many good forwards here it's only going to be good for me and the team.

``It's not going to be easy but it's a good move for me and probably what I need.''

Asked the most exciting thing about his move to the peninsula, Perry said: ``It will be good to get back into that winning culture. Just the whole feel about the place is a lot different compared to what happened at Newcastle last year.''

Marquee on the basis of being an origin player I guess. Personally I think he will have a decent season and be a good insurance policy should Princess prove to be a one-season wonder.

i think he will be in the starting side sooner then he thinks and will have a great year maybe push williamson out of the side with a bit of luck

I think Perry will be known as one of the buys of the year. He seems like a really classy guy OFF the field as well.

toovs - I seriously hope our starting backrow will be Choc / Beaver / Stewart. I hated Willow starting TBH. I also think there is enough depth that a workhorse is no longer a necessary evil in our side. I mean, with that backrow I have said, the bench could be:-

14. Mark Bryant / George Rose / Heath Le'Strange
15. Josh Perry (definite)
16. Adam Cuthbertson (definite)
17. Glenn Hall / Jack Afamasaga / Luke Williamson

my preferred bench would be:-

14. Heath Le'Strange
15. Josh Perry
16. Adam Cuthbertson
17. Glenn Hall

I also think Des will go with a utility type player this year with Monaghan out of the team.

While the adage is "you can never have too many props", we may be pushing it to the nth degree next year. We have:

King
Kite
Perry
Bryant
Hall
Afamasanga
Rose

Assuming Perry regains fitness & form, I would start with King & Perry & play Kite in the 2nd row. Stewart would lock the scrum while Beaver would play off the bench in a utility role. Sayonara Willo.

My bench would be:

Hall
Beaver
Le Strange
Rose/Bryant/Afamasanga

Although it appears we have quite a few props now, I would not sat all are good enoughto win us a title. The way our bench played in the GF was abysmall. I am till not convinced Byant and Jack Alphabet has enough impact or go forward to do the job required. As for Gourgeous George, his lateral movement in defence is still my concern. King (if he can do 2 good seasons in a row), Kite, Perry and Hall are my top 4 ....

As for Williamson, I still cannot see what the coaching staff see in him and sign him for another 2 years, should have thrown that extra money at Burns!!!!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8