Josh Aloiai to fight Paul Gallen

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Multiple wrist and hand operations already, and punching training is risky. Manly should put a stop to it. We need this bloke to be professional.
Surely there's a duty of care here or at least Manly have a say in it.

Considering we lost Josh for 10 weeks with a wrist injury (let alone time out for other reasons) and now he's in a boxing match beggars belief. Then their's the highly topical subject of concussion risks.

In my (admittedly female) humble opinion, with the coin they're on it beats me why NRL players have to box!

I don't know much about boxing but I do question if Gal's a boxer. Sure he can throw a bit, he's fit and clearly hard to knock out but not sure on the boxer bit.
Dear Lord,

Fwiw, I said he can fight... I never called him a boxer...

Amen...

Well, he's going to be suspended for the first three rounds. - so, the extra training should ensure he remains in good shape. I don't get why people whine and whine, and whine and whine - over every bloody thing. We truly live in the age of the professional sook. Nothing's off-limits from their incessant, ass clenching complaints. Not even Coon cheese.

Put your tissues away, people. Josh is a tough boy who wants to get in the ring with Gal, pocketing a fair chunk of change in the process. He plays a high collision sport for half the year, and the chances of him getting seriously hurt in the ring are very minimal. Who knows? Perhaps there is a financial incentive for the club in all of this.

Good luck, Josh - smash some Coon, kill a cow, and pay no attention to the sooks.
Isn't that what your doing ? Bloody whinging whining, whining about other people's whinging and whining, having a sook about all the sooks ?
I normally agree with you kevvie, but its a bloody opinion, and in this case a fair one Manly pay him a decent wage to play footy, a guy who missed a great deal of the season with hand issues, and he wants to box in the off season ? Fans have a right to question why.
It's not about tough guys, its risk management he has had issues with his hands, personally I don't give a sheet if he boxes and breaks a wrist so long as we don't get screwed over because of it, cause he wants to make some more bucks. Either box or play footy, he gets paid plenty.

Sook over.
Over to you, you whinning old so and so ;) @:p @:D

Isn't that what your doing ? Bloody whinging whining, whining about other people's whinging and whining, having a sook about all the sooks ?
I normally agree with you kevvie, but its a bloody opinion, and in this case a fair one Manly pay him a decent wage to play footy, a guy who missed a great deal of the season with hand issues, and he wants to box in the off season ? Fans have a right to question why.
It's not about tough guys, its risk management he has had issues with his hands, personally I don't give a sheet if he boxes and breaks a wrist so long as we don't get screwed over because of it, cause he wants to make some more bucks. Either box or play footy, he gets paid plenty.

Sook over.
Over to you, you whinning old so and so ;) @:p @:D
Yeah sh*t wrists and the NRL concussion protocols don't seem to equate to an upside for Manly (his employer)...

I just dont get why the club would allow a player in their top-30 with clear injury issues to moonlight in a dangerous sport... and its not like he is a marquee that can dictate his own terms (ala SBW)...

The article says it is no secret in boxing circles that Josh can fight ... BUT .. Gallen is no longer a footballer who fights .. he is now a 10 fight seasoned prize fighter fit enough to go 10 rounds ... don't care how good Josh throws them .. Gallen will have a lot more boxing fitness and experience ... and the article said .. Josh has had one (1) amateur fight that he won in the second round ... unless he is an absolute superstar, with the one punch power of a mack truck, one and a bit rounds is hardly the CV I would be confident with. ...

GALLEN TO FIGHT SEA EAGLES ENFORCER

Paul Gallen’s next heavyweight opponent can be revealed – Manly Sea Eagles front-rower Josh Aloiai, who has a huge reputation in the fight game.

Contracts have been signed for the pair to fight on the Gold Coast on Friday night, December 10, on Foxtel’s Main Event.

Talking up his boxing prowess, Aloiai declared last year: “I’d back myself against anyone in the NRL.”

The Manly front-rower has had shots at Gallen on social media. He had one amateur fight in 2017 and knocked his opponent out in the second round.

Gallen’s advisor and corner man Peter Mitrevski junior said it would be one of former Sharks star’s toughest fights.

“Everyone in the fight game knows Josh can fight,” Mitrevski said, “Gal will have to be at his best. Outside of Justis Huni, this could be his most difficult fight.”

From all reports Aloiai is known to be able to throw them and grew up in the gym boxing everyday and people confidently say he is a better boxer than any other NRL player including Paulo (who can throw them)
Even though Galen's a pro now, Aloia has probably still spent more time in the ring over his life time.
I'd be excited to see him fight, highly unlikely he gets injured and will have to train his ass off for the fight. Some people think theu can fight but Aloiai knows he can fight.

From all reports Aloiai is known to be able to throw them and grew up in the gym boxing everyday and people confidently say he is a better boxer than any other NRL player including Paulo (who can throw them)
Even though Galen's a pro now, Aloia has probably still spent more time in the ring over his life time.
I'd be excited to see him fight, highly unlikely he gets injured and will have to train his ass off for the fight. Some people think theu can fight but Aloiai knows he can fight.

I hope you are right Robbo ..

By George that's our George....

"Broncos strike weapon Kotoni Staggs is the latest NRL star ready to jump into the boxing ring.

Sport Confidential can reveal Staggs has signed a deal to make his boxing debut on the undercard of Paul Gallen’s planned return to the ring in December following his gutsy loss to Australian heavyweight champion Justis Huni.

Staggs was approached a few weeks ago by Matt and George Rose, promoters of aspiring world-champion Tim Tszyu, and has been given the green light to fight by Broncos coach Kevin Walters."

I'm pretty sure he would have consulted the club, coach, and physio before accepting the gig. Just a hunch.

A bit off topic but here's an anecdote about off-season sporting endeavours which has shaped my opinion about these kind of things

Ten years ago Robert Kubica was one of the most promising Formula 1 drivers on the grid (who also liked to do rallying, which by all accounts he was extremely good at). His team at the time was fine with him participating in a few rally events despite him being a contracted Formula 1 driver.

Long story short he was involved in a rally crash where a guardrail pierced his car and his right forearm was partially severed.
853ed23cbad82036cf74856ed095e53c470b1127

He made a Formula 1 comeback seven years later in a backmarker team (mostly due to very wealthy sponsors) but his arm is/was not fully functional and he was nowhere near the same driver he was.

8kyp28c6w4dz.jpg

As for Josh, not saying he'll sever his forearm in a boxing match, but given the circumstances (i.e. injury history) I don't think it's very wise

Just my opinion...

By George that's our George....

"Broncos strike weapon Kotoni Staggs is the latest NRL star ready to jump into the boxing ring.

Sport Confidential can reveal Staggs has signed a deal to make his boxing debut on the undercard of Paul Gallen’s planned return to the ring in December following his gutsy loss to Australian heavyweight champion Justis Huni.

Staggs was approached a few weeks ago by Matt and George Rose, promoters of aspiring world-champion Tim Tszyu, and has been given the green light to fight by Broncos coach Kevin Walters."

Good grief ..

Dumb idea for josh, his hands are packets of chips. Multiple wrist and hand operations already, and punching training is risky. Manly should put a stop to it. We need this bloke to be professional.
He has a decision to make - routinely get punched in the head in the ring, or concentrate on being a professional footballer.

If his footballing continues its 2021 late season downslope into season 2022, then I can see the club offloading him at the end of next season.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4