John Bateman

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
3 things ... we have always gone well with a pommie in the side .... he is better than any 2nd rower we currently have ... and I don't trust any mutt that won't honour a contract in good faith ..

He is a hard working creative second rower. As I said above it would be hard to value him above 580.

if we could afford that then we couldn’t have our combo of dce, turbos, our props etc. Or alternatively our depth would have to suffer.

we have quality 2nd rowers possibly on 400k each, and a fair bit of forward depth at the moment.

pursuing Bateman on 580 or above would wreck the balance of the team.

IMO . What dictates what we spend and who we buy is how our current players perform as
Weak links in a team sinks a team .
At the moment I believe Des has a playing group with so much potential and all of our current players are a great investment .
I have faith in all of our boys . No room for Bateman in our squad
1562713619706.jpg

3 things ... we have always gone well with a pommie in the side .... he is better than any 2nd rower we currently have ... and I don't trust any mutt that won't honour a contract in good faith ..
Completely disagree with your second point! To me he’s overrated & not worth even $580k....he would bring zero to our attack....the 2nd rowers we have are just as good!

Can't see him going anywhere.

He'll test his market value and then the Raiders will make it work to upgrade him

Dally M 2nd rower of the year .... must have a few people bluffed then ....
Was helped by playing in a good team! Doesn’t mean he’s any better than what’s at our club![/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably is going to be hard enough to retain all of Manly "s existing good forward line up and playing group as well as the emerging promising up and comers . Schuster may well be considered as a back rower contender in any case reasonably soon so again unlikely that the club would be interested in any high profile forward recruits as things now stand .

Hooper standing by his comments:

“I’ve got the utmost respect for John Bateman as a player and I don’t think the Raiders make the grand final last year without him,” Hooper said on Triple M.

“But I’m also a big fan of putting the sssshhh in Twitter, ****ter because it is a sewer social media full of toxic rubbish.

“John is well within his rights to have his say on there, but I stand by the story.

“His agent Isaac Moses has been repeatedly at the Canberra Raiders agitating for a release since the grand final last season.

“He wasn’t his agent when he signed with the Canberra Raiders. As a result I don’t think John Bateman will be at the Raiders next year.”

This will end up just like the Latrell situation, he will find no club is willing to pay enough over his current deal to cover the new managers fees. Should've kept his mouth shut, stuck to his word/signature, focused on winning a second Dally M backrower of the year and let the bidding war commence for 2022.

If he leaves the Raiders, the usual pretenders with too much cash and no sense will snap him up. He'll make a great Dragon, Eel or Bulldog for a few years on squillions and then scurry back to the ESL with no trophies. Who farking cares.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2