Joel Thompson

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
We're not going to be in a position to sign up too many high quality players. Because we're now an also ran bottom dweller it's going to take massive overs to sign test or origin quality players. Yes we'll free up some $$$ when we ditch the overpaid non performers but I can't see us attracting too much high quality very easily. We aren't the attractive high profile club we used to be.

Car could be yours Nicci - assume you would be a member?
In the process of becoming a Born and Bred.
I wanted to trade the hat for a drink bottle. It's not possible but they can throw in a 2018 travel mug for free. Just tonight I responded and said sweet.
I'll be a member very soon. But I won't be at Brookie on Saturday because I live in the Queensland bush with lots of marsupials, and also ferals such as broncos supporters.

We're not going to be in a position to sign up too many high quality players. Because we're now an also ran bottom dweller it's going to take massive overs to sign test or origin quality players. Yes we'll free up some $$$ when we ditch the overpaid non performers but I can't see us attracting too much high quality very easily. We aren't the attractive high profile club we used to be.
Yep. That’s the problem Mick. It’s fine saying we free up cap space and sign this bloke and that bloke but in reality who wants to play in a bottom four side if there are other options. And Des , as much as I rate him , is not the drawcsrd he once was and that will only change with us winning games.And then there is the Barrett fiasco and the general boardroom antics ... it doesn’t paint a great picture and that can often end in the fatal mistake of paying big overs for average players.

Our future lies in this current crop of youth. Hoppa Shuster Fainu Cust Metcalfe etc if a few of them kick on to add to the Turbots etc we can get back to competing again.im pretty confident they can. If they don’t then it’s going to be some long hard years ahead I’m afraid.

Have you had a head knock @Sue ?
Hark back to 2003-04. Our squad was far worse and the club more dysfunctional....and Des was a rookie ffs!
The thing that you completely underestimate is Hasler’s burning desire to right some wrongs and the challenge to himself to reinvent.
I won’t be foolish enough to back him out.
One or two tough, no nonsense forwards and a couple of good defensive outside backs with real speed and we are more than competitive.
The youngsters we have coming through have an ideal coach to learn and prosper under. If they don’t have the work ethic and attributes upstairs, they will be gone.
Once the honeymoon is over, Des will be back to his ruthless best.
Any coach that can show Beaver the door in his prime for the sake of future success, doesn’t trade in short cuts or emotional bias.
I am looking forward to the ride back up more than the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow...it will be icing on the cake!

No headknock Zim

First I clearly said I have confidence some of those kids I mentioned will come through.

Plenty has changed since 2003. The massive one being 3rd party agreements and the huge advantage it gives to teams like Storm and Roosters in getting the marquee players. We all go on about the Roosters roster. It’s the TPAs that do it. Legal or illegal.

If you are an elite player and you can play in a side that will threaten to win comps and get paid a ****load more due to TPAs outside the cap then you go there , not to a bottom four club with rumours constantly circling about relocation / sale of licence etc.

It’s a bigger more ruthless NRL now , a far cry from the post Super League war in the early 2000s where the whole joint was a shambles , and the rich are getting richer and the poor poorer. That’s just a sad fact.

Last edited:
We lost Shaun Lane and we got Joel Thompson

Nice one Baz

In saying that Joel is a good player and given the oppurtunity with some structure and cohesion the best is yet to come from him.

But Shaun Lane was the future

So who was the Thompson playing with us last year with Lane???

Yep. That’s the problem Mick. It’s fine saying we free up cap space and sign this bloke and that bloke but in reality who wants to play in a bottom four side if there are other options. And Des , as much as I rate him , is not the drawcsrd he once was and that will only change with us winning games.And then there is the Barrett fiasco and the general boardroom antics ... it doesn’t paint a great picture and that can often end in the fatal mistake of paying big overs for average players.

Our future lies in this current crop of youth. Hoppa Shuster Fainu Cust Metcalfe etc if a few of them kick on to add to the Turbots etc we can get back to competing again.im pretty confident they can. If they don’t then it’s going to be some long hard years ahead I’m afraid.

and as much as every likes to deny it Baz was right that lack of facilities compared to other clubs comes into it.

Same money but spend life in air con, good gym, nice showers and 1st class comfort etc or life back in the 80's like we currently have.

The new COE once complete will fix this, hence why so many clubs are after that.

still the best backrower we have

I am not going to be surprised to see Tangles have a shot in the back row ...
To be honest I think to be contagious we need at least a reasonable amount of them to have that mentality. Joel alone couldn't have brought a major change but I too was hoping more of the players would take after him. Maybe this season.

Leading by example is a major thing for a player to influence others, and if there's one area Joel does this it is in defence. Hopefully, with a lot of the squad focusing on defence this year, his influence can be greater in 2019, at least in this department. We don't need all our forwards to be beasts, I'm happy to wait it out as Thommo's true value could be exposed in times like these. When teams are on the up certain players take control, I just feel that he could be one of them that will.

Or maybe not, either way 2019 is make or break for Joel.

Can't argue with any of that .... my feelings are that he isn't doing enough for me to be rapt .... and he isn't bad enough for me to say drop him ..... he is reliable ...

Remember he spend a fair bit of his time at StGeorge coming off the bench ..... and I think if Waddell, Tanginoa, Guacomole or GoJetSki work out he may be back on the bench ....

Penn went cheap on us (probably through necessity) and it hurt us. Poor recruitment on and off the field and here we are trying to climb out of a big hole. We have recruited well off the field this season starting with Des which has had a great flow on effect with coaching and support staff. The club will have more space in the cap next year and the reconstruction of the squad will commence with appropriate retention and farewells. The club can't afford a repeat of this pattern and if the club starts to struggle financially I hope Penn doesn't allow blind pride to prevent him from welcoming financial partner/s. Its going to be a tough year due to lack of quality and depth but we just need to see it through and win a few games along the way. IMO Quality players will be reluctant to join us unless they can see we are on the up and that should be our main objective this year. I saw improvement in our defence at Leichhardt on Saturday and that is a good start.

I think Joel is pretty good and normally gets heavily involved, but he went missing against the Tigers.

Hopefully he acknowledges his disappointing performance.

NYEagle

Probably an unpopular opinion but I have to say and am very disappointed with what Joel Thompson has provided on the field. There have been some good moments but on a whole, I would rather a junior at second row. On field experience/leadership is one thing but Joel seems to get rag dolled a little to much in attack for a forward.
We should let him go at the end of the year.
Green out Thompson in has been a negative. I get it he is a media darling for all the things he does off the field but he has bought nothing but disappointment.

So who was the Thompson playing with us last year with Lane???

Lane signed a 2 year contract in 2017

2018 he was our highest try scorer

Thompson joined 2018 and started in the second row

Lane wanted a starting second row position and wanted 80 minutes

Barret wanted to use him off the bench and preftered Joel Thompson to start

Shaun Lane 22 years old

Joel Thompson 30 years old

I think lane should of been first priority

Thompson is a fantastic player but he is at the end of his career

Good luck to Joel this weekend, hope the boys help him out with a win for his 200th match!
A good start would be Joel stepping up and inspiring his teammates for that win. He is one that can make a big difference if he gives his all. He needs to come out playing smash em up.

Shaun Lane 22 years old

But we lost Lane and got Thompson apparently.

Shaun Lane 22 years old

When Ben Kennedy came to Manly at the end of his career, he had a ton rep experience and was still in the elite player group. Joel Thompson is not even close, and I must admit, that I was hoping for an "Bk" effect on the Manly team when he arrived. And just to make it worse, there are no "BK" type players on the open market at the end of the year.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 4 4 -60 8