Joel Thompson

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

anthonyb1965

GO Manly
Probably an unpopular opinion but I have to say and am very disappointed with what Joel Thompson has provided on the field. There have been some good moments but on a whole, I would rather a junior at second row. On field experience/leadership is one thing but Joel seems to get rag dolled a little to much in attack for a forward.
We should let him go at the end of the year.

agree, but only if a suitable replacement is found rather than depend on an up and coming player. Manly need a gamebreaker 2nd rower and neither Sirro and Thompson deliver that. Find that 2nd rower, and keep Sirro who is somewhat solid, has a few great games, and has more upside with his age

Look Des will be reviewing the roster through out 2019. There will be a few players with targets on them especially if they don’t step up.

Joel would be one of them

Unfortunately for Des he has to make do with this roster. It will be a few years for him to get the roster he wants. I think we will start seeing my toilers on the bench like Rodney, Williamson etc with some A grade starting players. He will probably also sign cheap reliable wingers

Completely agree, love his attitude off the field but unfortunately thats not enough.

I’d love to get Kurt Capewell and Scott Sorensen from the sharks. Both hard hitting edge backrowers and both off contract.

Pretty confident this will be his last year. He has already admitted he wants to play in the super league. Freeing up his cap space plus perrett who is actually on really good money. No walker, no taufua plus no cap penalty should see us in the market for a couple star signings to go with Taupau AFB the T bros and chez.
With the emergence of Garrick, hoppa, schuster, olokatau cust etc the future actually looks quite bright.

Thommo doesn't do much wrong .... a good player ... but in 2019 ... an 80 min 2nd rower on his coin has to do a lot more right ....

I was a fan of his signing because it was thought he would add the much needed "starch" and attitude to our team ... well. it seems that whilst he may possess it, it is not contageous .... in this he has failed ...

Said in the off season he would be battling to hold his position in the starting side .....

I think Thompson has been good, Not amazing but then again amazing is probably an unreasonable expectation if you have followed his career. Thompson has always been a very good player but just short of representative class.

I think he is a great player to have in the dressing room and around the younger players....much like Kite in that respect.

He is getting to that age, whereby his form needs to be closely monitored before offering a new deal, but as it currently stands I would offer a 1 year extension on slightly reduced terms and if he wanted to look elsewhere, then he would be welcome too.

Probably an unpopular opinion but I have to say and am very disappointed with what Joel Thompson has provided on the field. There have been some good moments but on a whole, I would rather a junior at second row. On field experience/leadership is one thing but Joel seems to get rag dolled a little to much in attack for a forward.
We should let him go at the end of the year.

We lost Shaun Lane and we got Joel Thompson

Nice one Baz

In saying that Joel is a good player and given the oppurtunity with some structure and cohesion the best is yet to come from him.

But Shaun Lane was the future

Joel is a no nonsense no frills kind of player. A stop gap. More positive off the field than on. However I think he will suit us fine and keep this position warm for the player of Des' choosing during our rebuild.

Joel's best was his final stint at Illawarra, but the unfortunate situation with the current roster, he is needed.....
At many NRL sides would struggle to get a look in at all.
I still think he is a decent henchman in defending his half defensively, but does lack line break ability and in many games, you would not know he was on the field.
Was really hoping when he signed, to emulate a poor mans BK with leadership, but unfortunately not resembled that at all.
Truth be known, he is needed in the current Manly 17 due to available options, not from great form, never expected spectacular, but a little more conversation and a little more action....

I have to politely disagree. He is the least of my concerns when I look at our roster. All he has to do is run hard and tackle hard in order to do his job; something that he did on the weekend and something he has done in the past for us. Every team needs an old head and their impact is not something that can measured in a performance from the grandstand; you need to be in the thick of it to feel the impact.

OK, he is not someone I am racing out to resign on a long term deal into the future, but for season 2019, there a bigger holes in our roster.

I have to politely disagree. He is the least of my concerns when I look at our roster. All he has to do is run hard and tackle hard in order to do his job; something that he did on the weekend and something he has done in the past for us. Every team needs an old head and their impact is not something that can measured in a performance from the grandstand; you need to be in the thick of it to feel the impact.

OK, he is not someone I am racing out to resign on a long term deal into the future, but for season 2019, there a bigger holes in our roster.

Snake you are generally on the money. Any news on possible signings to fill some of the glaring holes in our roster?

Thommo doesn't do much wrong .... a good player ... but in 2019 ... an 80 min 2nd rower on his coin has to do a lot more right ....

I was a fan of his signing because it was thought he would add the much needed "starch" and attitude to our team ... well. it seems that whilst he may possess it, it is not contageous .... in this he has failed ...

Said in the off season he would be battling to hold his position in the starting side .....
To be honest I think to be contagious we need at least a reasonable amount of them to have that mentality. Joel alone couldn't have brought a major change but I too was hoping more of the players would take after him. Maybe this season.

Leading by example is a major thing for a player to influence others, and if there's one area Joel does this it is in defence. Hopefully, with a lot of the squad focusing on defence this year, his influence can be greater in 2019, at least in this department. We don't need all our forwards to be beasts, I'm happy to wait it out as Thommo's true value could be exposed in times like these. When teams are on the up certain players take control, I just feel that he could be one of them that will.

Or maybe not, either way 2019 is make or break for Joel.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6