Jamil Hopoate

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
RE: Jamil Hopoate a maybe for Manly

Jamil Hopoate a maybe for Manly
BY: STUART HONEYSETT From: The Australian December 12, 2012
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/nrl/jamil-hopoate-a-maybe-for-manly/story-fnca0von-1226534833046

MANLY could emerge as a new home for Jamil Hopoate after Parramatta terminated his contract yesterday.

Hopoate, the son of controversial former player John and younger brother of NSW representative Will, was sacked following several breaches at an NRL rookies camp in Sydney over the weekend.

Jamil, 18, was previously in the Manly system and attracted headlines after photographs of him "planking" in dangerous places were posted on Facebook.

Last month he had his driver's licence suspended for six months for mid-range drink driving. "We have no plans to chase him but the recruitment team may meet to discuss it," Manly football manager Steve Gigg said yesterday.

Jamil was lured to Parramatta at the end of last season alongside his brother Will, who is in the middle of a two-year Mormon mission.

Yesterday's decision means Will's dream of playing alongside his younger brother at Parramatta is over.

Parramatta chief executive Ken Edwards admitted the club was disappointed to part company with a player regarded in some circles as having more potential than his older brother.

"Unfortunately, Jamil has failed to respond to ongoing support, tutoring and mentoring from our dedicated coaching staff as well as our welfare and education department," Edwards said.

"While the club regrets losing such a talented player, the club has made it very clear that we expect high standards of behaviour across all grades."

Parramatta has adopted a hardline stance under coach Ricky Stuart as he looks to turn around the fortunes of last year's wooden spooners.

He's only 18 and making mistakes lots of 18 year old's do.

There's guys playing first grade for us and other clubs, who have done much worse, but good on Parra for setting an example to their other NYC players and teaching Jamil a lesson, hopefully he'll learn from.

Give him 15 minutes to talk to Choc and maybe he'll realise the potential ramifications of behaviour, as Choc has really turned his life around and some are saying Captain potential. So, if that's not learning from your mistakes, I don't know what is. Mind you, speaking to his father would also help, but who at 18 really listens to their dad?

I went to boarding school and to say I didn't 'duck out' on some nights (when strictly told not to) with quite a few others, would be an understatement. As for his DUI offence, plain dumb, but many still do it, so he's not exactly a pioneer. T-Rex was suspended for the same thing and there may have been others (juniors) in the club that we don't know about, yet they weren't exactly crucified. Thankfully no one was injured as a result of his indescretion.

As for the money Parra threw at the Hopoate's, how could Will not accept it? Would any of you seriously knock back $800k a year (or whatever the amount was)?

Money rules the world in the NRL these days, particularly for GenY. Employer loyalty is limited with GenY, it's about 'me'. There's nothing totally wrong with that, but many employers now share the same opinion when dealing with GenY... 'Get the most you can out of them now because they'll probably be gone in 12 months (once the head hunter's guarantee expires and they approach them for another job). So, loyaty is disappearing both ways, hence, the one year contracts. Perform or you're out (to the fringe players).

Jamil is a great young player with massive potential and just needs some direction and discipline, which he'd get at Manly with Joe G and Kite and the senior group, given his Polonesian background.

I realise this is very long winded, but I'd still have him back tomorrow and while Dave Warwick has said they're not chasing him, he did subtly suggest the recruitment team may meet to discuss it. It comes down to Tyran Smith and how much he can 'shop him around for', as he gets the commission!!!!

If Tyran Smith was really looking after Jamil's welfare, he'd bring him back to Manly on a very minor contract to further emphasise the result of his indescretions. But will Tyran Smith look after his well being, by coming back to Manly or just "Show me the monneeeey". If I was his father and how manly looked after him, I'd be saying, "Come back to Manly and when you make it, then we'll chase the the money".

And what's wrong with that? Loyalty is now only as good as what the employer can offer to you through the culture of the organisation, development and financial compensation and how much you can bring to the employer through your success and contribution to the business. If any of that does not meet expectations, from both sides, people leave for a better job or are sacked.

We let go or they left out of choice, something like 27 players for 2013 (NRL, NYC and NSW Cup) for next year, many who were let go who probably felt they'd given their heart and soul for the club. So, it's a two way street.

Come back Jamil, Manly is the place for you to realise your potential.

I agree. I think manly should take him back. Many people have talked him up (much like they did with will, and he was brilliant for us).

Manly has a great culture and a good environment for him to 'grow up'.

Besides it will be a bit of a kick in the teeth to John and Will for leaving.

Mabye Will will want to come back

Matabele said:
When did Choc become a paragon of virtue?

So far so good Mata. Sure Choc's made mistakes and claims he's learned and now he's settled in a happy marriage and past all the old times and errors of judgement.

It's not to say Jamil has to be married to be settled, but the people who the younger one's tend to learn from are those who have trodden the same path before, probably more so than the righteous. They tend to listen a bit more to those advising who can empathise, as they've been down the same path at some stage and can warn of the real risks and ramifications, rather than those who haven't experienced it personally.

Now this may be a bit hypocrital to my previous point of view, but while Kite and Joe G may not have trodden the same path, I am certain they have advised many other players in the club, not just fellow Polynesian players in the club, and you just have to look one of the latest interview on the Club's site with Joe G and Chee Kam to see the awe in which he's held (it's called space!). These guys are worth their weight in gold to the club, in terms of culture.

Jamil's sin was not as bad as 'Hip Hip's' supposed indescretion on the Gold Coast so I wouldn't be too quick to crucify him, but I still applaud Parra's decision. It's just up to his dad and Tyran Smith now as to whether they really care about his welfare or the $. It will be a real shame if it's the latter as he's not likely to learn a lesson. Look how long it's taken Todd Carney.

As for Choc, well hopefully he remains settled, as he's become a person who junior players in the club can aspire to; loyal, commited and someone who has recognised his mistakes and wants to be a better person, than he's been portrayed in the media in years gone by.

So yeah, in my opinion, Choc would be good to talk to as would Kitey and Joe G. That's not to say that his dad hasn't already hhad words with him.

Jamil Hopoate has proven that he wont benefit with a club that offers him more money . Jamil will benefit with a Great club like Manly who have the best Mentor in Geoff Toovey. Manly is the only club that will turn this local boy into a Man

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7