Jamie Lyon to the Titans?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
joeboy said:
Does anyone think we actually might have gone close to losing him?

Be interested to see what happens at the end of the season?

No. I think Jamie is genuine in his defence and his comittment to Manly along with his desire to stay & end his career with the club.

When I first heard I put a comment on this thread earlier saying it was hogwash - that was my gut feeling. He has too much on the Northern Beaches, houses , 3 kids attached to schools and footy clubs etc - however there is /as always that possibility and I was as freaked as the rest of the fans.

Hopefuly his contract negotiations run smoothly and swiftly and we retain him for 3 or so more years. Fingers crossed ..

1947 said:
joeboy said:
Does anyone think we actually might have gone close to losing him?

Be interested to see what happens at the end of the season?

No. I think Jamie is genuine in his defence and his comittment to Manly along with his desire to stay & end his career with the club.

When I first heard I put a comment on this thread earlier saying it was hogwash - that was my gut feeling. He has too much on the Northern Beaches, houses , 3 kids attached to schools and footy clubs etc - however there is /as always that possibility and I was as freaked as the rest of the fans.

Hopefuly his contract negotiations run smoothly and swiftly and we retain him for 3 or so more years. Fingers crossed ..

3 more years & he will become another manly 200 1st grade games player.
i like the sound of that

bones said:
Briza said:
2013 will be Lyon's last season as a Sea Eagle unless he accepts a 2 year extension.

I'm ok with that. He will be going on 32 then. No 32 year old centre should be offered a three year deal IMO, I don't care who they are. Anyone 32 or over should be a year to year proposition only. Look at Matt Cooper at the Dragons. One of the best centres in the game in his prime, but now even the dragons fans are saying he has hung around too long. And they're stuck with him again in 2013. I don't want that to happen to Jamie.

Agree with your point regarding ANY aging centre like Cooper but there is a major difference here imo Bones.
If he only loses a tad of pace he stays at centre, would still back him against any others in the NRL even then.
Also, Lyon though a champion centre, is simply a super footballer who could easily slot in at lock. That does not say cya to gift - he moves into 2nd row if that option is needed.
In 99% of cases I back the logic & reason but with Lyon I think he can be with the elite over the next 3 years.

MK Eagle said:
bones said:
Briza said:
2013 will be Lyon's last season as a Sea Eagle unless he accepts a 2 year extension.

I'm ok with that. He will be going on 32 then. No 32 year old centre should be offered a three year deal IMO, I don't care who they are. Anyone 32 or over should be a year to year proposition only. Look at Matt Cooper at the Dragons. One of the best centres in the game in his prime, but now even the dragons fans are saying he has hung around too long. And they're stuck with him again in 2013. I don't want that to happen to Jamie.

Agree with your point regarding ANY aging centre like Cooper but there is a major difference here imo Bones.
If he only loses a tad of pace he stays at centre, would still back him against any others in the NRL even then.
Also, Lyon though a champion centre, is simply a super footballer who could easily slot in at lock. That does not say cya to gift - he moves into 2nd row if that option is needed.
In 99% of cases I back the logic & reason but with Lyon I think he can be with the elite over the next 3 years.

Sorry, can't agree that Killer could easily make the transition to lock. Killer is a great defender but there is a big difference from the type of tackling and the volume of tackles and there is a huge difference from making runs down the sideline as opposed to making 15+ hitups in the middle of the field where you will be hit by 3-4 guys every time. If you want to force him into retirement sooner than try and turn him into a lock, but I think its ridiculous to expect someone his age, extend his career by turning into a position he's never played easily, let alone at all in a game which is only getting tougher to play.

Masked Eagle said:
MK Eagle said:
bones said:
Briza said:

Sorry, can't agree that Killer could easily make the transition to lock. Killer is a great defender but there is a big difference from the type of tackling and the volume of tackles and there is a huge difference from making runs down the sideline as opposed to making 15+ hitups in the middle of the field where you will be hit by 3-4 guys every time. If you want to force him into retirement sooner than try and turn him into a lock, but I think its ridiculous to expect someone his age, extend his career by turning into a position he's never played easily, let alone at all in a game which is only getting tougher to play.

totally agree its centre or nothing

Comparing Cooper with Lyon is like comparing a shrimp and a lobster.

Lyon is a great centre and if he wants a 3 year deal imo we should give him 3 with kpi's in the 3rd year. If he's playing well enough then there's no problems.

Only trouble I see is what amount of $$$ would satisfy Jamie.

Masked Eagle said:
MK Eagle said:
bones said:
Briza said:

Lock is not just about hitups in the modern game & playing through the line, watch Glenn Stewart pass more than run, how often is he targetted by 3-4 defenders at the edge of the ruck?? Try never.
As stated above, imo Lyon is obviously better suited to centre & imo can handle 3 years as an elite centre.
Lyon is 1st & foremost a footballer & 1 of the best there is.
The lock option is similar to a 2nd 5/8 in the modern game in attack & if you dont think Lyon would handle the defence there my opinion again is different.
Already a proven winner at 5/8 which is similar to lock in todays game - Bird, Wade Graham, Anasta are proof of that.
Over the next 3 seasons Lyon will still be dominent & most likely in the centres so the debate about positional change wont come into play, just hope its at Manly.

MK Eagle said:
Masked Eagle said:
MK Eagle said:
bones said:
Briza said:

Lock is not just about hitups in the modern game & playing through the line, watch Glenn Stewart pass more than run, how often is he targetted by 3-4 defenders at the edge of the ruck?? Try never.
As stated above, imo Lyon is obviously better suited to centre & imo can handle 3 years as an elite centre.
Lyon is 1st & foremost a footballer & 1 of the best there is.
The lock option is similar to a 2nd 5/8 in the modern game in attack & if you dont think Lyon would handle the defence there my opinion again is different.
Already a proven winner at 5/8 which is similar to lock in todays game - Bird, Wade Graham, Anasta are proof of that.
Over the next 3 seasons Lyon will still be dominent & most likely in the centres so the debate about positional change wont come into play, just hope its at Manly.

I didn't say he couldn't handle the defence, but you are the one who said he'd do it easily. Playing killer at lock just takes away his space. I can't see lyon playing a similar sort of game to Bird or Graham who definitely do like to run the ball aggresively. Anasta's move to the forwards has been far from successful.

He's a centre or a number 6 at a pinch. The forward workload would limit Jamie's impact and probably shorten his career. I don't see him losing pace, and he is a different player to cooper. Jamie usually gets outside players so rarely gets hammered when tackled. Cooper is more physical and often gets taken head on. He has less guile than Jamie. More scope for playing into his mid 30s than coop.

Jamie Lyon is somewhat like his namesake Cliffy. He relies on positioning, creativity, setting up the play. His speed is fairly constant, just like Cliffys was. Not an essential ingredient but good to have when needed.

Cooper is more like Jennings. Speed is essential and he uses it to make his breaks around individuals. He's tough and strong, but he doesnt have the creativity of a Lyons or Lyon.

With Cooper and Jennings, you watch where they position themselves for a raid, and cover them as best you can because of their speed to get around you. With Lyon and Lyons, its the other players who is is also important to watch because with them, its not just about beating the man with speed and swerve, its about setting up a play. Its more about watching who in their team they are setting up to link with, who the pass is going to, and often that's more than one option. You can lose speed but you dont lose nous. That's the big difference between those players

swoop said:

Lyon is a great centre and if he wants a 3 year deal imo we should give him 3 with kpi's in the 3rd year. If he's playing well enough then there's no problems.

Cooper was close to the best centre in the game at his prime, as is Jamie Lyon. My point is that age eventually catches up with even the best. And it will catch up with Lyon one day. I'd rather our stars retire a year too early than a year too late. I think two more years is about the right offer.

bones said:
swoop said:

Cooper was close to the best centre in the game at his prime, as is Jamie Lyon. My point is that age eventually catches up with even the best. And it will catch up with Lyon one day. I'd rather our stars retire a year too early than a year too late. I think two more years is about the right offer.

Disagree about Cooper, yes he was a great centre but no where near as good Jamie. Cooper wasn't a leader like Lyon, lacks the balls skills and kicking ability of Lyon and you can add to the fact that Lyon is a very good goalkicker aswell.

I'd like to think that Lyon would know when it was time to retire and I'd hate to see him fall victim of playing too long. While he keeps playing this high standard of footy he should be kept. As I said, a 3 year contract with clauses or kpi's in the 3 year.

Met a bloke today from the Titans who had some very compelling evidence regarding Jamie asking for a release. All I will say is I hope he makes 2013 his best year yet.:-/

wombatgc said:
Met a bloke today from the Titans who had some very compelling evidence regarding Jamie asking for a release. All I will say is I hope he makes 2013 his best year yet.:-/
So are you suggesting Jamie was lieing when he said he didn't ask for a release? What was the evidence?

master blaster said:
yea,you have something then share it,otherwise your just refuelling the fire

And have Rothfield run with it?...not likely. It's a mute point as far as this year is concerned now.

Does this mean that this conspiracy is still alive. Goody. I love a good conspiracy. Recharge the popcorn container will you dear.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6