Jake Trbojevic... take a bow

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Killer03

Bencher
Well if this is the way Madge's NSW reign is going to be, he's got me. You could not pick a more deserving Captain. Jake you are an effing legend.

And no disrespect to Tedesco, he has been a great player, but his time has come and gone.

Good to see Madge isn't afraid to make the tough calls.

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Well done Jake!

For those asking about Captains from the one club.

I believe (as I just read it somewhere) that the last time was in 2000 when Fittler and Adrian Lam were captains of Nsw and Qld respectively.

Here 'tis:

Pete W

Bencher
Well if this is the way Madge's NSW reign is going to be, he's got me. You could not pick a more deserving Captain. Jake you are an effing legend.

And no disrespect to Tedesco, he has been a great player, but his time has come and gone.

Good to see Madge isn't afraid to make the tough calls.
Jake captain, Robson, McInnes, Edwards, Barnett... this looks to be a side with different character to the usual A-lister NSW teams of previous years. Well done Madge

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
So whats the deal. Do you think burton goes to bench. 4 forwards. Is someone in doubt.

Mcinnes to play 80 and fill in for robson or is he going to play 80

Best nsw side in a while but no bench magician seems like it could cost

Last edited:

Rafferty

Mug punter
So whats the deal. Do you think burton goes to bench. 4 forwards. Is someone in doubt.

Mcinnes to play 80 and fill in for robson or is he going to play 80

Best nsw side in a while but no bench magician seems like it could cost
Strong looking bench all the same.

Be interesting to see how Madge plays it’s, I think McInnes will spell Robson at some point, pretty hard to expect your DH to play 80 at club land least of all origin, Cam can get 80 his a freak, however I think he will get rotated at 20 - 25 min to bring Yeo on, then Cam comes back at 60 to play DH, Robson will be cooked, he gives everything, but 80 won’t be an option, should give us a strong finish.

No Burton, think we pretty much go with the bench as named, fingers crossed our backs all get through, Young is mobile enough to work into the backline should there be a need for a reshuffle, it’s not a bad looking side, only question mark for me is around our halves.

Eagle 1

First Grader
His runs haven't exactly set the world on fire, sometimes only 3 to 5 metres per hitup.

I miss the days when he bent the line and made a break or 10+ post contact metres several times per match.

But yes his defense is enormous.
Agree, more effective when running against the grain and straightening the attack, ie, the try he scored on Friday perfect example.

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Is NSW short a front rower?
Leniu doesn't play long minutes even at club level, actually Haas is the only regular starting prop.
Very mobile bunch though.
I think with tino out and flegler , qld are kind of the same. Cotter as a worker but not an intimidating middle. But nsw have picked a team that will go after qld physically all game

In a losing team RCG has gone alright. Did he annoy team mates a few years ago and has a whiff about him

I feel game 1 will be a throwback in time a little. madge to channel his inner turvey

BLUESSSSLANDER

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Firstly Massive congrats to Jake T, a true competitor and nice guy of the game, earning the right to Captain his state.
Another thing, at what is near the pinnacle of Rugby League, he is viewed as a prop forward and personally feel this is his "Best" position.
It shows a hole needing filling at Manly, with an agile lock a Top lister imo.
Maybe the Manly heirarchy are right and see him as the best fit in the 13 at Manly, but his attributes as a front rower are far more in line with his style of footy.
Maybe we simply don't have any other great options at lock, so this is what fits the team best in 2024 ?
What's the thoughts, is Jake more suited to lock or front row and also, is there any other "current" options at lock ?
All Silvertails opinions welcome....:wait:

The '47ers

When Eagles are silent Parrots begin to chatter
I don't see the fascination of Jake at prop.
Prop to me is a:
Haas
JWH
JFH
AFB

Yeah sure he's passionate and "Manly" but that only counts for so much. He'd be flat making a linebreak in our Toowoomba league.

We all know how passionate jake is he’ll go ok i also have to admire madge as coach who has had nothing but positive things to say about jake he must have a lot of faith in him.

lsz

First Grader
Staff member
I don't see the fascination of Jake at prop.
Prop to me is a:
Haas
JWH
JFH
AFB

Yeah sure he's passionate and "Manly" but that only counts for so much. He'd be flat making a linebreak in our Toowoomba league.
His game is not about that but about defence. Notice the difference around the ruck when he came off against the storm?

AlxFromNthNarra

Rarely does big posts worth reading....maybe
Jake captain, Robson, McInnes, Edwards, Barnett... this looks to be a side with different character to the usual A-lister NSW teams of previous years. Well done Madge

I like that Madge has ignored the view of many pundits/commentators and just chosen players in form. Hard-nosed players that play with consistency, nobody 'picked on potential', aside from Nicho - who has earned it in Rounds 1-10 despite his team's flogging over the weekend which he was pulled injured from - as long as he can get himself right, we'll have a dig. Or we'll get flogged with Qld using the Panthers template to hunt Nicho down into the dust.

This is a team that won't beat themselves, they will keep turning up. Not giving Tedesco the (c) is the biggest gamble, but also the biggest sign that after 2 origin losses - where we were 'on paper favouties' - that somethings gonna change. Qld are arguably favourites now. Blessing or curse? Who knows.

If the determinant of that blessing or curse is a quorum of Anasta, Kent, Rothfield and Gordon fkn Tallis? Yeah, i'll take a punt on the 'underdogs' thanks very much.

If it fails, at best it shows what Madge is willing to do in response - use the broom vs ego-driven loyalty of Freddy - it's easier with only 1-game as a track record. Not especially keen to revisit a time when players like Gallen get the nod continually because they show the 'passion' whilst bypassing the word 'Team'. Gallen thought he could single-handedly 'passion' us to a win in his time - Gallen was a fool. Felt like he probably had himself as coach/captain/NRL-demigod on Supercoach the way he prioritised indiviudal stats - surprised the greedy fkr didn't decide he was the goalkicker too. That guy was the biggest case of on-paper 'stats' vs actual game impact - a complete moneyball failure. His selfishness in play was invisible to the stats the systems like Supercoach prized so greatly.

As mentioned, Tedesco dropped from (c) was the biggest casualty, contentious and arguably harsh, but in reality Tedesco has lost 2 SOO as captain when Blues were the favourites (on paper), and also was captain in our most recent 0-30 loss to NZ - when the Roos were also favourites. He's the Roosters captain - a team picked to win the comp bascially every year since Cordner retired. They haven't made it past week 2 of finals - Souths out-performed them. DCE comprehensively out-captained him.

Madge as Blues coach is backing a Luai/Hynes halves combo, and Edwards as FB. A good coach builds his team around their strengths. So now Robson makes sense over Api, Yeo on bench in favour of Cam McInnes might work, a Mongrel like Leniu in the rotation despite his suspension make sense as an aggressive interchange with a perceived 'softie' nice-guy like Jake at Prop... Freddy speculatives like Pangai Jnr are out (thank fk), and guys like Burton will ultiamtely mirror the Cobbo bench call I reckon - sorry Hudson Young but Burton is our 'Turbo has done his Pec' backline-anything backup option - and Slater selecting Cobbo on the bench has made that both easy and justifiable.

My concern is how to place those named centres with those wingers - Crichton and To'o on one side is beast-mode from Panthers days, but leaves Lomax with Suali'i on one side......potent attack but defensively liable.

No L.Mitchell makes sense given the bunnies this year, and Turbo injury hurts - and it means we pick acutal Centres as Centres this year. Even though Mitchell/Turbo in the centres is a different unit to what we have this time around, they are both not Centres. Latrell is an origin engima though. Is he still? Dunno - and we won't know this year methinks unless we lose Game-1 bad and Latrell cuts sick in the next fortnight.

Admittedly my doubts on Suali'i are driven by a lack of exposure on the kid - maybe Rugby know
what they are doing spilling a decade of budget on him.

Roll the dice. Why not? If Madge comes on and retains a losing team, whats the point? They won't shaft him after 1 game will they. He may as well give it a shake up - first game is in Sydney after all...

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
13 10 3 97 24
14 10 4 118 22
14 10 4 78 22
13 8 5 66 20
14 8 6 143 18
13 7 6 81 18
13 7 6 -55 18
14 7 6 42 17