Jake Trbojevic... take a bow

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Eagle 1

First Grader
I really don't rate him...that's why I hope he signs with Parramatta.
Parra is a poison chalice, and only fit for coaches wanting to fill their bank balance. Bennett didn't even think about it, why else would he go to a team running last. He knows what's around the corner and he doesn't want a bar of it. They may take a punt on Madge, but i doubt it. Right now I'm backing in Barrett to take over. He'll be cheap to discard early in the 2025 season anyway.

Jay Eagle

Reserve Grader
Im going to make a big call here but I think one that's very possible.
Madge won't have Jake as captain for game 2 that will go to Yeo

And possibly Hamoule doesn't even get selected.

I think Madge showed his hand on this.. selecting Jake as captain and playing at prop meant he was always going to spend half the game on the bench and that's not good for a side to have your captain on the bench when he should be on the field leading from the front.
Madge selected Jake as captain because of Jake's passion and personality and I guess Madge wanted to make a statement about blues players really wanting to bleed for the blues and to bring the state together..and it worked everyone was happy to have Jake as captain.
But really it's looking like a PR stunt that has now backfired on Madge, I just hope Jake's confidence isn't too battered by it.

Hamoule was underwhelming when he got on the field and used terribly.. he seemed unable to get the pace of the game and was constantly receiving the ball in bad positions or just flat footed. Again I hope he's confidence isn't rattled.

Chunkytuna

Reserve Grader
Tipping Member

I think Madge showed his hand on this.. selecting Jake as captain and playing at prop meant he was always going to spend half the game on the bench and that's not good for a side to have your captain on the bench when he should be on the field leading from the front.
Madge selected Jake as captain because of Jake's passion and personality and I guess Madge wanted to make a statement about blues players really wanting to bleed for the blues and to bring the state together..and it worked everyone was happy to have Jake as captain.
But really it's looking like a PR stunt that has now backfired on Madge, I just hope Jake's confidence isn't too battered by it.

Hamoule was underwhelming when he got on the field and used terribly.. he seemed unable to get the pace of the game and was constantly receiving the ball in bad positions or just flat footed. Again I hope he's confidence isn't rattled.
I’m not sure that he’ll make too many changes mainly due to the fact that we lost a player so early in the game and that basically changed the whole complexion of the game - interchange plans, playing styles, everything went out the window. So it’s very hard to judge players based on that game. Having said that, I think Nicho is in some doubt because he was pretty poor and he was second choice to Moses anyway.

Eagle 1

First Grader

Fair points Jay E, Putting Ola on when the Blues were behind and under the pump wasn't an ideal introduction to Origin, kinda like a sink or swim scenario. Dont think Ola has ever come of the bench before, would of been better starting him, were he could of worked himself into the game.

Eagle 1

First Grader
I’m not sure that he’ll make too many changes mainly due to the fact that we lost a player so early in the game and that basically changed the whole complexion of the game - interchange plans, playing styles, everything went out the window. So it’s very hard to judge players based on that game. Having said that, I think Nicho is in some doubt because he was pretty poor and he was second choice to Moses anyway.
Yeah, we needed Nicho to bring his Sharks form on Wed night, unfortunately he didn't.

I was just thinking the same thing yesterday or if Teddy is still in the side, he may give it back to him

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Fair points Jay E, Putting Ola on when the Blues were behind and under the pump wasn't an ideal introduction to Origin, kinda like a sink or swim scenario. Dont think Ola has ever come of the bench before, would of been better starting him, were he could of worked himself into the game.
Yeah by picking workers everywhere he did have bench issues. Spencer was great but there was a little too much likeness in the team and the bench .

By the time interchange came about there was already scoreboard pressure, 12 men and a number of debutants. Oku was pumped and would have loved to be on that right side waiting to sucker punch any number of fullbacks qld were playing. He and crighton, right side, strong side ( movie reference )

Next game i would select moses at 7 but keep nicho on the bench. He and mcinnes could share replacement hooker duties later in the game for stability and x factor
I would keep Robson. Man is a machine.

It was a fast game, a big 10 m and NSW couldnt set early on after the send off. It was a big 15 minutes for both sides straight after and clearly defined the game while the inexperienced NSW side struggled with the moment

Next ref might allow more ruck interference and its a different game

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
I was shocked and clearly Jake was bewildered, to bench your captain
The other shock that seems to be on the cards for NSW is sacking their captain after game one.
Game one and your done !
Ruthless Madge was ruthless enough to Bench his captain and he would be ruthless enough to sack his captain .
There is talk that NSW is looking for impact players to fight fire with fire with the more Dynamic attacking Maroons .

The removal of captain Jake may not be ethical but it would be practical as he seems Pedestrian in the fast paced Origin Level .
Jake is Passionate and and great defensively but offensively he is Passive.

Any Coach or selectors with half a brain would know not to pick Jake, Jakes only worth is playing long minutes as a tackling machine to reduce the frequency of interchanges and tackling load on other players.

When you need to find "under appreciated defensive efforts"as the main reason to select a player in a State of Origin squad you are asking for trouble in such a fast paced the best of the best arena, you can't be slow in Modern Origin fullstop.

If anything i would of kept Jake on field even longer(when down to 12 men) so NSW could have spread the interchanges better and keep the surrounding forwards a little fresher.

Haumole was soft and didn't look to impose himself on the game, sure he works better with team structure and combination on Manly's right edge but I've always had issues that his running style and line running lacks "all round consistent effectiveness" that wont translate well in other playing environments.

Haumole still could have imposed himself more to lead and inspire, even with offering his trademark hits in defence to signal his presence and arrival at the highest level of the game.(Sure much harder with a team always on the backfoot and down a man but he looked shy, slow, lazy and timid)

mickqld

Sea Eagle forever
Tipping Member
You got to love Jake. He's just a genuine, hard working whole hearted player who gives his all every week. But I just don't see him being an origin leader. In fact apart from being a tackling machine he doesn't offer anything in attack and really isn'tup to origin speed. I don't see him as an 80 minute lock either at nrl. 40-50 min as a mid is what he's suited to now. Manly won't go too far with Jake at lock we need a skilful, fast, powerful young player in that role.

eagleron

Bencher
Is it possible jakey may feel like Nicho did last year. Might it affect his confidence

Just wondering
Surely Jake knows none of what happened on Wednesday was of his making, there was no reason for that arse clown Maguire to take him from the field, it was almost like a rookie panic move from the bloke who rates himself as the best in the business, I hope he gets the Squeels job, they deserve each other

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
14 11 3 103 26
14 10 4 118 24
14 10 4 78 24
15 9 6 161 20
14 8 6 60 20
14 7 7 63 18
14 7 7 37 18
15 8 7 -8 18
14 7 7 -50 18
14 7 7 -79 18