Jake, DCE , outside backs

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
While the defence of both teams wasnt really first grade standard last night the game stated some obvious examples for many of the questions that fill these pages

Jake being wasted / slow as first receiver. I think its been made pretty clear that jake plays this role because quite simply no one else does. He is a symptom of someones reluctance to get involved. Last night cherry played a traditional first receiver role and that affected jakes game in a positive way

Outside backs are all hopeless. Again pretty clear that when they get ball they can do something. Personnel changes shouldn't be confused with limited opportunities received prior to last night. Walker and suli haven't seen that more ball that others got last night since they joined the club

Last night cherry played a role, his role and the rest of the team benefiitted by being able to perform there role.It wasnt pretty , with much more east/ west than go forward but it was both a start and as obvious as the nose on your face. He stepped up for the last 2 games of last season and did the same

This has been des fault, number 6 fault , number 9 fault, covids fault and my favorite , out of forms fault, but good old chez saved them all from embarassment by simply being part of the solution

What a guy

As a sidenote
He got hit pretty good twice last night and didnt look to enjoy it. Wonder if he will perceiver . Will the turlte go back in the shell

After last night some will have him pegged as the great white gamebreaker who is just misunderstood and a lone ranger
Others will say he put himself where he should be but was still ok at best

Whatever the opinion we should all see that his role affects the whole team and he just isnt cutting the mustard on a regular basis

While thats a bit to mull over id like to highlight his kicking game for a reason
His early kicks last night were atrocious, not first grade standard. But the man is highly skilled

So i ask this question. Do you think a man with his ability would kick so poorly on a regular basis if he was on a year by year contract .( not money but length)
If the answer is NO, then try and tell me its not comfort and attitude as opposed to coaching, form, or 5/8's .

Pssst pssst. Thats the noise of the S.S. cherry brigade getting ready to pump up his tyres because of some stat. I welcome your input.

Lack of balance across the team? I am sure Des sees it but fixing it isn’t easy - cap, contracts, available players to target etc.

Last night the opposition allowed him the air space needed.

When you watch other teams play they use their wingers effectively; either through slick backline passing or deft kicking. Whilst Harper and Tyfuna have been revelations I don't think that either of our wingers -- Miski and Hoppa Jnr -- were given any clean ball or room to move last night.
Some of this is due to Sir Loin being a hog. He continually cuts back inside, leaving his outside players starved for opportunities.
I'm not sure if it's poor coaching but it explains why our wingers this season have not been scoring many tries.
Hopefully next season with The Shoe at 5/8 he will create chances that allow our wingers to do what they are paid to do.

The classic scenario in the DCE debate is the Paseka try last night.

The fanboi sees DCE running the ball off good dummy half service, scheming, probing till he hits a man puts him through a hole and we score. DCE gets the try assist and his stats look great

The DCE critic sees a guy run sideways across the field to the right, run out of ideas, do a 180, run across the field to the left, run out of ideas. Dumps off to a forward pretty much standing still with no obvious gap in front of him. Said forward puts on a bit of footwork, brushes through some feeble defence and we score. DCE gets try assist and his stats look great.

I see that with his "ball playing" on the right. Fanboi sees a great pass putting men into holes. Critic sees non selective hard flat pass across the line hoping to hit someone who is running a hole.

Same with his kicking game last night - it was worse than poor. But the fan will see that one bomb that went up 20m too deep and the winger drops it cold with no one around him.

I did read one stat the other day, which I'll have to try and find. It was around line engagements. For a half whose running game is his strength he was well down the list. The other thing is if defences know you aren't going to engage them they can sit off you and let you run yourself into a corner, they just slide with you if you aren't prepared to take them on. I'd like to see him take on the line more and STRAIGHTEN the attack, not crab across or run around in circles

Anyway I've learnt it's too polarising as a subject. In terms of what he is capable of and what he has been producing these last few years - there has been no consistency in my opinion. He does lead the comp in one stat - most excuses afforded a halfback for poor performances........ :) ....easy boys, just a little joke.

Thank God it was the Dogs last night and not some team that could actually play because we weren't that great, and that wasn't just DCE either.

That Paseka try was extremely painful to watch .

DCE doing his headless chook impersonation, no-one even thinking about giving him some sort of option with a straight hole hitting run.

I was actually cranky after Paseka scored.

Only the Dogs could let a try in on that play.

The classic scenario in the DCE debate is the Paseka try last night.

The fanboi sees DCE running the ball off good dummy half service, scheming, probing till he hits a man puts him through a hole and we score. DCE gets the try assist and his stats look great

The DCE critic sees a guy run sideways across the field to the right, run out of ideas, do a 180, run across the field to the left, run out of ideas. Dumps off to a forward pretty much standing still with no obvious gap in front of him. Said forward puts on a bit of footwork, brushes through some feeble defence and we score. DCE gets try assist and his stats look great.

I see that with his "ball playing" on the right. Fanboi sees a great pass putting men into holes. Critic sees non selective hard flat pass across the line hoping to hit someone who is running a hole.

Same with his kicking game last night - it was worse than poor. But the fan will see that one bomb that went up 20m too deep and the winger drops it cold with no one around him.

I did read one stat the other day, which I'll have to try and find. It was around line engagements. For a half whose running game is his strength he was well down the list. The other thing is if defences know you aren't going to engage them they can sit off you and let you run yourself into a corner, they just slide with you if you aren't prepared to take them on. I'd like to see him take on the line more and STRAIGHTEN the attack, not crab across or run around in circles

Anyway I've learnt it's too polarising as a subject. In terms of what he is capable of and what he has been producing these last few years - there has been no consistency in my opinion. He does lead the comp in one stat - most excuses afforded a halfback for poor performances........ :) ....easy boys, just a little joke.

Thank God it was the Dogs last night and not some team that could actually play because we weren't that great, and that wasn't just DCE either.
I've just watched a replay. Can I start by saying you won't find a bigger fan boy for DCE. And **** he was terrible. Kicked dead. Kicked out on full. Missed easy conversions kicks. MANs last tackle kicks are the worst in the comp. As a team they still can't even get the ball to the right man. And he's so often in the wrong spot.

We need to be massively concerned by our halfback. I'm not seeing a halfback or even a coach who thinks a kicking game is important and the job of the halfback.

The silky pass trys mean so much less when U keep giving the ball back to the other team, giving them the chance to score, and struggle to turn 4 points into 6.

Cliffys lowest hour was being moved to hooker, and he returned to the halves twice the player.

DCE to hooker as punishment. He needs to learn the value of possession.

Until DES can change DCE, this team is going no where. And sorry I can't see Foz being the complete answer. He will kick, but no more than Cust.

I've just watched a replay. Can I start by saying you won't find a bigger fan boy for DCE. And **** he was terrible. Kicked dead. Kicked out on full. Missed easy conversions kicks. MANs last tackle kicks are the worst in the comp. As a team they still can't even get the ball to the right man. And he's so often in the wrong spot.

We need to be massively concerned by our halfback. I'm not seeing a halfback or even a coach who thinks a kicking game is important and the job of the halfback.

The silky pass trys mean so much less when U keep giving the ball back to the other team, giving them the chance to score, and struggle to turn 4 points into 6.

Cliffys lowest hour was being moved to hooker, and he returned to the halves twice the player.

DCE to hooker as punishment. He needs to learn the value of possession.

Until DES can change DCE, this team is going no where. And sorry I can't see Foz being the complete answer. He will kick, but no more than Cust.
I think DCE to 9 is a great idea for 2 reasons and I have 1 concern.

Yes it may teach him the value of possession and give us a chance to see Metcalf at 7.
Maybe he will be pissed of and leave...saving us the money for 2 or 3 VERY GOOD players.
He may be ok with doing it but not any good at it thus leaving us stuck with him being crap at 2 critical positions.:cool:

I'm going an a bear hunt.

This thread was called Jake, DCE, outside backs. Please rename it ' let's bitch about DCE but ill add a few other names to try and hide my bias'.
Bias...interesting. Do you think there would be this "bias" against DCE if he actually did what we are paying him to do as the highest paid player in the game?

It's not "bias"...it is just passionate supporters being sick and tired of the 1.25 million dollar man not being able to guide OUR TEAM around the park, finish sets with some hope of competing and NEEDING someone else beside him that can... and everyone here has the right to bitch about him at every opportunity if they feel so inclined

Why are we paying QC money for an ambulance-chaser? If he can't do the job required on his ridiculous money, get rid of him.

Is that bitching or just pointing out the freakin' obvious?

Look I've been a DCE fan since he came into the team, even when the old boys turned on him. I do however think at this point, Brisbane 2.0 can't come soon enough - it would be best for all parties involved.

The last 2 weeks dce has been alot better.. he makes mistakes sure but last week he had 4 try assists and this week a few more. His last tackle options are still bad i dunno what's happened to him there.

I think there are some valid points and DCE has been a little off at times but to add some perspective from a different angle....without Fainu, Tom and Walker who are the entire spine - missing....stacks a heap more weight on his shoulders.
As an example, if you had Thurston or Lockyer playing in this side missing key players, they would also look nowhere near what fans would expect.
Im not saying DCE is as good as these blokes, but playmakers will always struggle when their halves partner, hooker and strike fullback are missing

That Paseka try was extremely painful to watch .

DCE doing his headless chook impersonation, no-one even thinking about giving him some sort of option with a straight hole hitting run.

I was actually cranky after Paseka scored.

Only the Dogs could let a try in on that play.
OK but there is a team in Qld called Brisbane.

You lads should get in touch with the selectors for all the rep sides who clearly have no idea how to analyse footy and select a side, coz they keep picking him

You must have been a riot in the luke williamson has goat photos thread.

Yep Jake has taken it all upon himself to become a half back because he knows DCE is terrible. Exactly. Also, the moon landing was fake and 5G towers cause Coronavirus.

Dead set.

Fell free to add some footy perspective as opposed to sarcasm .
Your not obligated of course

DCE could come up with 7 try assists, 40-20, try saving tackle and the same few posters would still bitch he needs to go. Interesting he pretty much keeps getting the 3 points every week on here for the majority of posts for MVP.

I also find that interesting.

I think some people would give him 3 points if he was out injured
i would be happy to debate his game day influence and input but the only people who do that are the negative nancies. The positive pelicans rarely back it up with solid game day information

You gatta meet half way

I presume you think he is in form now @Simonmyers11
You have stated he is out of form for 63 weeks straight and is waiting for ..........

He has taken more responsability with the ball the last few weeks which is better for sure. You said he couldnt do that without a 6

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4