It was Des all along coaching thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

Who do you think will be coaching us next year?

• Total voters
If Hoss gets the job that means the Penns has taken the cheap soft option. Saving money and keeping the sooks (playing group) happy. Gee I hope this isn't true.

i asked Kramer and he said (snap) this may work think about it .... a rookie coach with his heart in penrith and an owner with his heart up his arse somewhere near his brain... this could do it ..bring on 2019

Look, the facts are that we needed a new coach and at the cheapest possible price.

The players choice also would have been taken into account.

Like when Barrett started, I'm willing to give Cartwright a go if this is true. At least he's not a rookie, we know what we'll be getting for better or worse.

Lets face it, Cartwright had a crap squad at the Titans during his time there and I would say that our squad is likely to be stronger.

It could be worse you know.

IF it's Cartwright - step 1 is to terminate these 80's style drinking sessions and get a bit of mental steel back into the team.
If these drinking sessions were on and they were winning games - all day.....but it's a thing of the past, that should be reserved for Special occasions, not after getting belted in a game of footy at NRL level.
The current culture stinks...

If Cartwright gets the gig I'll still be optimistic about our chances next year, the guy has experience that's for sure.
I've never paid any attention to coaches or clubs other than Manly, but I expect he is an upgrade on Barrett.

Guys I don't think we have any other option tbh. When they all got re-signed recently (Cartwright, Randall & Ferris) it was at Barrett's request.

The Club was put in somewhat of a corner as that was what Barrett wanted and part of his so-called number of requests. In affect the Club was trying to do the right thing by him !

Unfortunately he then took us for a ride and put in his resignation request and we have now been left with possibly three(3) people that probably would not be here otherwise. There is no way the Penn's would consider paying out there new 2 year contracts and hiring a new team. It will cost them too far too much money.

Barrett has been deceitful in all of this and has cleverly fu##*ked us up big time. The sooner this year is over the better. We all need to move on and if Carty gets the job we should all get behind him and support our Team . The mighty Sea Eagles !!!

The biggest losers are the Membership Team.

Hard to sell 'Yes he was here for the last 3 declining years, but now Carty is fully in charge' :confused:
That is one.
Another is the transition from assistant to head coach - reputedly the assistants are more matey with the players, he's been that for 3 years with this group, can he change that relationship? Will they take him seriously?
Another is recruitment, can he attract decent talent? really?
Another is his drive to succeed - when he left the Titans he said he was just about over rugby league, and since then he has been content to assist. What has changed?
Another is his point of difference from Barrett - are there any? He was part of that team, what changes did he agitate for that were denied by Barrett? If none...that's not a good start!

After missing the spoon by a whisker (fingers crossed, we aren't there yet) I am shocked if a new-broom approach to the coaching set-up isn't the obvious choice.

The sooner this year is over the better. We all need to move on
Your own post suggests we can't move on because we are tied to current staff. You also suggest that is Barrett's fault for being dishonest, at a guess the fault lies at least equally with incompetent management. At least equally. If not totally.

edit - to clarify - incompetent if they locked us in to support staff we now don't want

IF it's Cartwright - step 1 is to terminate these 80's style drinking sessions and get a bit of mental steel back into the team.
If these drinking sessions were on and they were winning games - all day.....but it's a thing of the past, that should be reserved for Special occasions, not after getting belted in a game of footy at NRL level.
The current culture stinks...

I love to have a beer with maxta
I love to have a beer with max
We drink in moderation
And we never ever ever get rollin' drunk
We drink at the Brookvale pub
Where the atmosphere is great
I love to have a beer with maxta
'Cause maxta me mate,

Your spot on mate
Deal done
Sauce
Straight from the hoss’s mouth
I hate to say it, but that would only mean that he trusts what the Penn people have told him. I wouldn't trust them if they were the last people on earth.

Guys I don't think we have any other option tbh. When they all got re-signed recently (Cartwright, Randall & Ferris) it was at Barrett's request.

The Club was put in somewhat of a corner as that was what Barrett wanted and part of his so-called number of requests. In affect the Club was trying to do the right thing by him !

Unfortunately he then took us for a ride and put in his resignation request and we have now been left with possibly three(3) people that probably would not be here otherwise. There is no way the Penn's would consider paying out there new 2 year contracts and hiring a new team. It will cost them too far too much money.

Barrett has been deceitful in all of this and has cleverly fu##*ked us up big time. The sooner this year is over the better. We all need to move on and if Carty gets the job we should all get behind him and support our Team . The mighty Sea Eagles !!!

Wonderful ... except Barrett had tendered his resignation with 12 months notice some 3 months ago .... are you seriously going to say that the club re-signed Cartwright and Ferris on the demands of a coach that had already resigned . .... good lord .... if this madness continues we will have Baz on the grassy knoll next .... pre natal ...

Last edited:
How could it be worse than a guy who was so asleep at the wheel half his team was on the nose candy? It's bad enough his coaching record is poor but he installs no discipline in his sides, is it any wonder the players support him.

While I won't argue with that, I do think that the assistant coaching role gets overstated at times. The reality is that the most they do is run some of the training sessions.

Cartwright certainly isn't the best choice. But would you rather we keep Barrett?

That is one.
Another is the transition from assistant to head coach - reputedly the assistants are more matey with the players, he's been that for 3 years with this group, can he change that relationship? Will they take him seriously?
Another is recruitment, can he attract decent talent? really?
Another is his drive to succeed - when he left the Titans he said he was just about over rugby league, and since then he has been content to assist. What has changed?
Another is his point of difference from Barrett - are there any? He was part of that team, what changes did he agitate for that were denied by Barrett? If none...that's not a good start!

After missing the spoon by a whisker (fingers crossed, we aren't there yet) I am shocked if a new-broom approach to the coaching set-up isn't the obvious choice.
Spot on, I just don't see the Penn's making the same mistake twice.

This is all a bit hard to believe, given Barrett is still our head coach and still contracted, at least until a settlement is negotiated.
I'd say at most we have made a verbal undertaking to Carty to honour his contract so that he will remain at Manly, and a verbal undertaking that at this stage he is in line to coach NRL.

No doubt all will be revealed in the fullness of time!

Promises are like pie crusts easily broken. The promises may serve to keep calm until after sundays game. They can calm the playing group by keeping Hoss on as assistant and I still suspect we are after Madge followed by Henry. I must say that in my view the players need to keep their thoughts within the club and focus on doing their job which does not include picking the coach.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8