It was Des all along coaching thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

Who do you think will be coaching us next year?

• Total voters
Just on defence last year ... yes terrible on occasions .... but defence at first grade level takes several years to develop for most individual players and often several years for teams to gel ....

I forget the exact age stats that @Ryan produced but last year our team was the youngest team in the comp on average age by more than 2 years ..... and on number of first grade games played generally over 1000 games less than our opposition .......

I don't think much will change under Cartwright !

The longer we are procrastinating over what to do with Barrett the longer the odds are on us getting someone decent like Maguire ! If the coaching circus continues Cleary will go to the Panthers, Maguire will then go to the Tigers and we get stuck with Cartwright.

Come on Penn's be proactive and do something about it before the horse has bolted !! How frustrating is this Club ! Give us some news , anything !

I don't think much will change under Cartwright !

The longer we are procrastinating over what to do with Barrett the longer the odds are on us getting someone decent like Maguire ! If the coaching circus continues Cleary will go to the Panthers, Maguire will then go to the Tigers and we get stuck with Cartwright.

Come on Penn's be proactive and do something about it before the horse has bolted !! How frustrating is this Club ! Give us some news , anything !

I would assume there is plenty of work going on behind the scenes currently and I know there will be some news coming out, likely in early October.

Especially with Walker in the centres from where he should never have been moved.

That was one of the many dumbarse moves by Barrett that hampered this team IMO.

When we signed Hodkinson, we finally had a decent replacement for Blake Green. Granted it wasn't the best option, but it was definitely the best we had. Problem was that he really didn't get a lot of time playing in the halves. Once Api got injured, for some reason Barrett decided that Walker should play 5/8 again and he mostly used Hodko from the bench as a backup hooker.

For a team that was struggling for direction, playing with only one half, 3 centres and using your fullback as an extra play maker at the expense of his running game was a dumb plan. Especially when there was an Origin winning half sitting on the bench, even if his knees were suspect.

I still have a sneaking suspicion that if / when Trent Barrett goes to a well staffed, well catered club, (with sound owners and funds at his disposal) he will shoot the lights out tbh.

He got a raw deal here in my view. I think a lot of us will be eating crow at some point.

You seem to forget that Barrett's game plans, team structures and team selections basically sucked. He was making the same rookie coaching mistakes in Round 25, 2018 as he made in Round 1, 2016. And the fact that he failed to get this team firing despite the proven talent we had was also telling on his ability to be a successful coach. Not having a recruitment manager or having to bring in his own desk and outdoor furniture doesn't and shouldn't have stopped him from actual coaching.

IMO Barrett was out of his depth as a head coach.

Last edited:
Needs less Croker and more someone better. At full strength we did have a good team this season, just no depth

The sad part is that at the start of the season....we DID have someone better. But we now know that Hastings was never going to be the 5/8 whatever the reasons were. In fact, the way things were he was dead lucky IMO to even play from the bench for a few weeks.

That put us even further behind the 8 ball than we already were losing Green and with Walker on the sidelines. And the season hadn't even started!!!!!

Barrett was a rookie coach who obviously got fa support/ advice from a supposedly experienced assistant coach in Cartwrong. He got laughed at for blowing up in the box after loss to Penrith. No good will come to us if Cartwrong is appointed head coach. I'm already on the sack Cartwrong bandwagon.

I still believe that Phil Gould sold Barrett's virtues as a coach to Bozo so that he would get head coaching experience somewhere away from where it would hurt Penrith.

If Barrett was as good as what Gould was saying, why did he immediately move him out of the Panthers U/20s coaching position after just one year, then 6 months later do what he could to get him out of the Panthers altogether without having to sack him? All while making it appear as if he was trying to help his mate further his coaching career.

I wonder though, if this was our team for the full season, do you think things would be different?

01. Tom Trbojevic
02. Jorge Taufua
03. Brian Kelly
04. Dylan Walker
05. Akuila Uate
06. Lachlan Croker
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Addin Fonua-Blake
09. Apisai Koroisou
10. Marty Taupau
11. Joel Thompson
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Jackson Hastings
15. Kelepi Tanginoa
16. Taniela Paseka
17. Shaun Lane

Because I think that team beats most in the NRL
Lussick too maybe in there

I still believe that Phil Gould sold Barrett's virtues as a coach to Bozo so that he would get head coaching experience somewhere away from where it would hurt Penrith.

If Barrett was as good as what Gould was saying, why did he immediately move him out of the Panthers U/20s coaching position after just one year, then 6 months later do what he could to get him out of the Panthers altogether without having to sack him? All while making it appear as if he was trying to help his mate further his coaching career.

I agree but really, who knows what the Fu!k Gould was thinking, he changes his coaches, and his mind based on the skid marks in his sacks.
I wish Barrett well, Barrett will come good as an assistant at some far far place away from where....I just don't know what he will be assisting.

I’m suggesting we might know at the fan forum BUT no I don’t have any knowledge that it will be announced.

So not #nextweek but very close

I agree but really, who knows what the Fu!k Gould was thinking, he changes his coaches, and his mind based on the skid marks in his sacks.
I wish Barrett well, Barrett will come good as an assistant at some far far place away from where....I just don't know what he will be assisting.
If you see say...Mary smiling as his team is getting flogged by the Sharks next season...the reason could be ‘out of camera range’.

Maguire in the frame as Sea Eagles go cold on Carty
Michael Maguire had some form of contact with Manly on four occasions in the past week as the club goes cold on the idea of appointing assistant John Cartwright to replace Trent Barrett, who is at war with the Sea Eagles and certain to leave.

Maguire is considered the best coach available to slot into a club that needs reshaping. If he had his way, there is no question Maguire would take the Broncos coaching job when that comes up. He may have to take Manly instead.

Maguire is a good judge of a footballer. He can see potential in the Manly squad. There is a lot to like about the playing group.

The first and most pressing issue facing the Sea Eagles is the position of the Trbojevic brothers, Jake and Tom. They are not happy with Barrett’s treatment, but were happy Cartwright was set to take over. They will need to be sold on Maguire, if he is interested.

The Trbojevics are the most important figures in the future of the Sea Eagles. A year ago, if you had asked either of the brothers if they would ever think about leaving Manly, they would have ridiculed the idea. Now there is discussion that they need to be talked to so they can be shored up.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 3 5 -55 8