It was Des all along coaching thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

Who do you think will be coaching us next year?

• Total voters
What Taylor is going to turn up though
09 Taylor or the other years? He's had one extraordinary year and the rest have been ****, possibly worse than Barr..... well I'm not sure about that

Read this and think if this Taylor story has any legs;

The Daily Telegraph reported late on Wednesday night that Taylor has supposedly thrown his hat into the ring to take charge of the Sea Eagles with Trent Barrett looking to quit the club.

Toovs didn’t really change anything when he took over from Des. Literally, nothing at all. He most certainly was twenty minutes away from a grand final win, but with the team Des built. I think Toovs definitely has the makings of a successful NRL coach, I know I’d love to play for him. But there is no better coach currently available than Des Hasler.
It was the team des and tooves built. Tooves was there the whole time as assistant coach. I’ve heard tooves did most of the coaching in 2011 too, when des spent the best part of 6 months shopping himself to the tigers and dogs..

Why not both? Co-coaching. New idea.

Head Coach: Hasler and Toovey
Assistant: Randall
Fitness: Ballin (Singe as mentor consultant)
Club Captains: DCE AND Turbo (senior)
I’m coming around to des as coach and just hoping he’s learnt from the stifling boring block plays not working at Canterbury.

You can’t add Jake as captain though when DCE is now Australian vice captain. He’s proven himself, it’s his team. I don’t think jakes ready. At prob 26-27. That’ll be his time, just not right now, still has some maturing to do on the field. I think he’s fantastic off it just a bit too emotional on it

At prob 26-27. That’ll be his time, just not right now, still has some maturing to do on the field. I think he’s fantastic off it just a bit too emotional on it

Absolutely agree, he's been marched 10 metres for back chat twice from memory.
He will be the next captain of manly, once DCE has retired.

The Taylor story is laughable. It was probably said to a certain person at the club to test him and see if he would leak it to the press.

My guess on this issue is that the new coach is signed already, possibly could have been before the members night and before Madge claimed he knocked it back, that could have been Maguire’s manager saving face because he missed out on the job. I think the deal is done but due to legal reasons with Barrett they can’t announce it. It would explain why the club is so confident that we will be happy and unfortunately why they have been held back from announcing everything.

Barrett isn’t going away easy because the payout from us will probably be his last big money payday and it will pay a good bit off his mortgage and allow him to be happy on assistant coach wages, which is what he will be on for the rest of his days.

The good news about the deal potentially already being done is whoever our new coach is, I reckon they are hard at work planning now, hence why the club are just letting the idiots in the media speculate away.

As soon as Barrett accepts his fate and ****s off things will be announced, until then its a holding pattern.

Remember we might not be top of the pile football dept wise, but as far as a coach wanting to work and live on the northern beaches we have it all and it is much more attractive than driving for hours every week over to these other **** commuter belt clubs. Hang tight.

Last edited:
But boy don’t the Silvertailers get sucked in!!
Yeah we do sometimes over-react, but it is understandable considering just how badly & wrong plenty of decisions have gone for the club in the last few years. If someone went back in time to 2008 and posted that Toovey would take over from Des & would be sacked and replaced by an untried Trent Barrett after making a gf & missing the finals once with a 58% win record, we would have laughed & ignored it. Now we believe everything because it potentially could happen regardless of how stupid of an idea it sounds like..

Last edited:
Cartwright is not a proven performer and neither is Neil Henry
Nor is Jason Taylor. Do any of them have those attributes Penn refers to....strong, hardened, proven performer....I think not.

Which is why re-reading that Penn interview was interesting and the mystery continues. The only candidates with those attributes imo at this point would be Hasler (if bridges are mended) or possibly Sheens.

Penn could have told her it's a results driven business;-)

When I sought advice on how to cancel my auto-correct, think it was the day before McGuire knocked the club back, I similarly said I needed to see who the coach was first.

The Manly girl couldn't have been more pleasant, and said she said she had sorted it all for me. I received a comment like she hoped I'd be back.

I am hoping it means the good news is since Madge said no.

But I have to say I was really really impressed by the professionalism and courtesy of the girl in membership.

She must have one tough job. And with call after call to cancel etc it would be easy to treat someone like just another number.

It's not often you feel like nothing is a hassell etc especially from this club in the past.

CUSSO please pass on credit, where credit is due.

It's great to hear this sort of stuff mate - Dealing with them directly on the Members Council, I know they do work extremely hard and are an asset to the club. Cuzzo was made aware of this feedback and has passed it on to both Lyall and the membership team.

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8
9 4 5 -19 8