Is NRL poorly run ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
There have been a few improvements from the debacle of a few seasons back, yet still so many flaws including new one's with the Salary Cap uncertainties enough to have Every NRL side shrugging shoulders, apart from those few who have no limit, with no questions asked of course.
Maybe being a bit harsh here, but the amount of "Grey area's" pi##es me off and it's not JUST against Manly, though there definitely seems some favourited teams amongst it.
I refer to the stand down rules, post match suspensions ect where you find an exact incident may earn a player 4 weeks off while others get 0 for the exact same offence.
Also recently noticed "I think Angus Crighton" serving suspensions by missing 2023 trial games ?? maybe wrong here , but that's what I heard....will wait and see and maybe trials do count, but pretty strange as if I had say Tom Turbo having 5 games to serve...I would have Manly play 5 trials so he is good to go round 1.
And just how in the heck are certain clubs who had "Full" salary caps able to but "top shelf" players suddenly and in the hunt for more....especially since the NRL still have not given out a SALARY CAP number for teams to work within ??
Let's say these glut of $800,000 players Dogs have signed....even Tigers forwards pack splurge.....now the NRL says cap is X amount and these teams need to release 1 - 2 star players - what a week out from the start of season.
Anyways rugby league is up with favourite sports personally, but the ppl running the game need more clarity and improvement in certain area's, as this is 1 big reason the game does not grow as well as it could and get's leapfrogged by other sports.

There have been a few improvements from the debacle of a few seasons back, yet still so many flaws including new one's with the Salary Cap uncertainties enough to have Every NRL side shrugging shoulders, apart from those few who have no limit, with no questions asked of course.
Maybe being a bit harsh here, but the amount of "Grey area's" pi##es me off and it's not JUST against Manly, though there definitely seems some favourited teams amongst it.
I refer to the stand down rules, post match suspensions ect where you find an exact incident may earn a player 4 weeks off while others get 0 for the exact same offence.
Also recently noticed "I think Angus Crighton" serving suspensions by missing 2023 trial games ?? maybe wrong here , but that's what I heard....will wait and see and maybe trials do count, but pretty strange as if I had say Tom Turbo having 5 games to serve...I would have Manly play 5 trials so he is good to go round 1.
And just how in the heck are certain clubs who had "Full" salary caps able to but "top shelf" players suddenly and in the hunt for more....especially since the NRL still have not given out a SALARY CAP number for teams to work within ??
Let's say these glut of $800,000 players Dogs have signed....even Tigers forwards pack splurge.....now the NRL says cap is X amount and these teams need to release 1 - 2 star players - what a week out from the start of season.
Anyways rugby league is up with favourite sports personally, but the ppl running the game need more clarity and improvement in certain area's, as this is 1 big reason the game does not grow as well as it could and get's leapfrogged by other sports.
Mate yes at times but all sports have admin issues. I follow nfl fair bit in off season, Miami dolphins fan now the Tua concussion storm where they changed protocol and put extra spotters in place. Got missed and his coach noticed symptoms not the nfl appointed spotters. They are light years behind nrl in concussion protocol

We have just come off the first season in the games history where every single club made a profit ... The game has never been in better hands ... not perfect ... but headed in the right direction ..

Mate yes at times but all sports have admin issues. I follow nfl fair bit in off season, Miami dolphins fan now the Tua concussion storm where they changed protocol and put extra spotters in place. Got missed and his coach noticed symptoms not the nfl appointed spotters. They are light years behind nrl in concussion protocol
Well then mate - hope u are backing my Gutsy "under the Radar" Seattle Seahawks on Sunday !!
I'm ready to roll but tbh, tough, tough gig - need things to click and Walker to make 100+ on the ground and a few Massive plays from Metcalfe and Lockett, Gino on target....would love a pass rusher to attack the rookie QB, but will see what happens in the pressure cooker of knockout :wait:

We have just come off the first season in the games history where every single club made a profit ... The game has never been in better hands ... not perfect ... but headed in the right direction ..
Fair call....but....I'm more about the hands on stuff like uncertain salary caps and inconsistent decisions regarding suspensions ect than the money made.....though I do like he fact the game has somehow increased revenue, as do recall the game quickly sinking financially and never really recovering since the Super League wars....Yes this is a good thing in this regard.

Fair call....but....I'm more about the hands on stuff like uncertain salary caps and inconsistent decisions regarding suspensions ect than the money made.....though I do like he fact the game has somehow increased revenue, as do recall the game quickly sinking financially and never really recovering since the Super League wars....Yes this is a good thing in this regard.

I think the NRL thought that increasing the cap by 25% and min wage to $150k would be cheered ... however they underestimated the gross stupidity of the Players association.

Lmfao, try being a Commanders fan

No, they keep themselves employed over at HQ and spend all their monies.

But really they are sh1t
I follow the MLB quite a bit.
Way more professional in every manor
Admittedly it's worth a bit more with 30 teams worth a minimum of 1 billion USD each.

Just on the consistency for suspensions etc.

Impossible, will never happen as if you get 100 different league fans together a 3rd will tell you a sentence was to harsh, a third will tell you it was too lenient and another third spot on.

Those who say too harsh will be split between, should have got off or 1 week less. Those too lenient split between 1 week more, 2 weeks more, 3 weeks more.

If you comparing two tackles, some will say they are the same, some will say one is worse and some will say the other is.

Even on field decisions fans will argue over decisions ad nauseum, some say the pass was forward, others flat, others back.

The game is presided over, officiated by and supported by human eyes and we all have opinions.

What is consistent for one is unjust to another.

And dont think for a second every other fan forum doesnt think their team is the one that gets a hard time.

To summise my rambling, chasing consistency is a fools errand and half the fun of follow sport is debating the calls, blaming the refs and having differing opinions

I personally think PVL is a grub, but he can get a job done, when it suits him. You notice PVL only steps in when it suits his ego.The entire salary cap drama should cost some people their jobs.

Its the entire commission that is run poorly. Can someone tell me who on the commission has achieved anything. How Wayne Pearce keeps getting a gig, astounds me. And throw in the Players Assn run by Newton. FMD.

Well then mate - hope u are backing my Gutsy "under the Radar" Seattle Seahawks on Sunday !!
I'm ready to roll but tbh, tough, tough gig - need things to click and Walker to make 100+ on the ground and a few Massive plays from Metcalfe and Lockett, Gino on target....would love a pass rusher to attack the rookie QB, but will see what happens in the pressure cooker of knockout :wait:
Haha we are both underdog teams, I like seahawks and way they play. Niners are a rough team to play there defence is elite.
My phins a bit guttered might have found closest thing we had to Marino in qb in Tua but his health may force a retirement. Playing Allen with a 3rd string qb going to be very ugly

I am not knowledgeable enough on the inner workings to have a strong opinion but appears these are better times than experienced in the past that’s for sure considering the recent pandemic.

They lurch from one drama to the NEXT but because it’s such a great game they make lots of money !!

Still run like a Micky Mouse watch in my opinion.
Agree, Mark. The NRL succeeds (and always has) in spite of itself. No matter how they try to bugger it up, it's still a great game.

I would be interested to know the health of the game outside of the clubs making a profit

For years there have been articles on the death of the game (in the bush etc) - is that still a concern?

Up here in Qld I'm not sure about dying as such but there's just so many options for kids these days. League,Union,soccer, AFL, basketball,baseball, cricket, even America football etc etc etc.
"Back in my day" 👴it was summer cricket, winter footy growing up in a small town.

Just on the consistency for suspensions etc.

Impossible, will never happen as if you get 100 different league fans together a 3rd will tell you a sentence was to harsh, a third will tell you it was too lenient and another third spot on.

Those who say too harsh will be split between, should have got off or 1 week less. Those too lenient split between 1 week more, 2 weeks more, 3 weeks more.

If you comparing two tackles, some will say they are the same, some will say one is worse and some will say the other is.

Even on field decisions fans will argue over decisions ad nauseum, some say the pass was forward, others flat, others back.

The game is presided over, officiated by and supported by human eyes and we all have opinions.

What is consistent for one is unjust to another.

And dont think for a second every other fan forum doesnt think their team is the one that gets a hard time.

To summise my rambling, chasing consistency is a fools errand and half the fun of follow sport is debating the calls, blaming the refs and having differing opinions
Good points Disco and this black duck has recently been reffing touch footy at every level and wearing these shoes quickly teaches you, there will always be those not happy with decisions and everything will be debatable (in all sports) - I love the ability to banter with opposition fans and feel Manly are "The most hated" which only makes my support stronger...
I refer more to inconsistency from the NRL heirarchy - that bloke can serve suspension time in trial games - that bloke can't.....this bloke is stood down until further review - that bloke who done basically the same offence, has to sit out....and then the NRL not having a salary cap for teams to work while players are in the deep blue sea, not knowing their future, is simply unprofessional and places a fair bit of pressure on every NRL team moving forward.
I would definitely add the fact that Isz mentioned earlier - the game falling away in country towns.
I am up living near Toowoomba these days and it's a footy mad area tbh, but unfortunately many rural area's have fallen away and I agree 100% not been helped near as much as it should from the NRL

Last edited:
I would be interested to know the health of the game outside of the clubs making a profit

For years there have been articles on the death of the game (in the bush etc) - is that still a concern?
Spot on, many country area's who lived and breathed Rugby League have been leapfrogged by AFL, soccer and basketball.....many country towns that had an abundance of teams, often struggle to provide teams and also have teams travelling 300km just to make up the numbers...

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8