Is it time to move on from Turbo?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Should Manly keep Turbo?

• Yes

Votes: 26 38.8%
  • Unsure

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • No

Votes: 29 43.3%

• Total voters

Rafferty

Mug punter
We won't get within 20 points of the Storm. Unlike the Raiders who do have some players with a bit of pride and guts, we have a bunch of sooks who have a tantrum when things don't go their way. They remind me of the everyone wins a prize ilk.

I think we’d all be happy if our side could dig in like the Raiders did, remembering their best prop was out, Whighton out, no savage, few others, playing the form side, playing away, not just across the city. Hugh win for them, full respect.

If we can manage to play like that next week, I’ll be happy, just struggling to believe we can, sadly I think Melbourne have more to trouble us with than the Riff did, could get very ugly if we don’t turn up, short turn around, plenty of selection issues, big test, a win puts us back on track, theres plenty to play for. I would even cop a loss if we stand up like the Raiders did.

Maybe Peter Peters was right that it's time to cut Turbo loose or maybe medically retire him. His not the same player anymore and is completely struggling at the requirements to be a fullback in the modern game.
People seem to think like he's still fresh out of the blocks because it seems like he hasn't been around that long and can play like its his first year. It's his 7th season in first grade and people need a reality check to realise its a sport where careers can quickly be cut short due to injury. Tommy is no different to the rest.

Damien2812

Bencher
People seem to think like he's still fresh out of the blocks because it seems like he hasn't been around that long and can play like its his first year. It's his 7th season in first grade and people need a reality check to realise its a sport where careers can quickly be cut short due to injury. Tommy is no different to the rest.
True and with injuries that continue to persist with Turbo something needs to be done regarding his pay packet. The lack of games over the past 5 years continues to make it hard for Manly to recruit capable players.

BirdMan4ever

Reserve Grader
Even when turbo was fully fit , I feel his defense reads are Very ordinary. Just how many try saving tackles has he made.? U need attack and defense to be an elite fullback.
time for the centres and a salary review

True and with injuries that continue to persist with Turbo something needs to be done regarding his pay packet. The lack of games over the past 5 years continues to make it hard for Manly to recruit capable players.
I think mentally Turbo seems to be feeling the pressure. The speculation about his health and the stupid documentary that the club did on his rehab can't be doing him any good.
For his sake he might benefit if he moves to another club and takes unders to play in a position where he isn't as involved and there are others who are calling the shots or can take the spotlight off him. The expectations have become too much to expect him to deliver every week when he has the sort of health issues he has.
The ideal place he could maybe go to would be the Dolphins or Storm.
Wayne would know how to use him and he would have a mongrel pack to protect him from getting hurt. More importantly Wayne would know how to keep the pressure off him and manage him properly.
Bellyache on the other hand would allow Munster to take the pressure off him and he has an allround team of competent players around him

I can't agree with any of that.
The video the club did on Turbo was not stupid, it was illuminating.
Suggesting Turbo should leave the club he's always dreamt of playing for, his brothers and the area he loves is equally misguided, imo.
The documentary puts a lot more pressure on him imo. Did you see how he was talking about his rehab with Seibold and Mestrov standing next to him? It looked awkward and cringey.

Terry Zarsoff

First Grader
The documentary puts a lot more pressure on him imo. Did you see how he was talking about his rehab with Seibold and Mestrov standing next to him? It looked awkward and cringey.
The ongoing ‘Tigerisation’ of the Sea Eagles?

Whatever happens between now and September, I’m sure Mestrov (for one), will learn a lot from this season, on top of what he already knew. I imagine he knows where the systemic problems lie, it’s a case of whe the Dr he can fix them under our ownership/board model.

Marto1970

Reserve Grader
Couldn't agree more. If it means he's just cantering along...but doesn't get injured. What's the point?

I've given some leeway in the opening rounds. But time is ticking....
He has to change the way he runs,he said when he came back it was going to take a while before he can run without thinking about how he is running, he is still out highest running metre player

Seagles68

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I think mentally Turbo seems to be feeling the pressure. The speculation about his health and the stupid documentary that the club did on his rehab can't be doing him any good.
For his sake he might benefit if he moves to another club and takes unders to play in a position where he isn't as involved and there are others who are calling the shots or can take the spotlight off him. The expectations have become too much to expect him to deliver every week when he has the sort of health issues he has.
Wayne would know how to use him and he would have a mongrel pack to protect him from getting hurt. More importantly Wayne would know how to keep the pressure off him and manage him properly.
Bellyache on the other hand would allow Munster to take the pressure off him and he has an allround team of competent players around him
I'm thinking he has a bit more character than you're suggesting he has. I can't see how moving away from his family, clearly a great support, would be a positive. But then, I'm no shrink.

Damien2812

Bencher
It would be hard to see Turbo at another club but if he continues getting injuried what can the Manly club do? Pay him every year on the sidelines?

Will on the hill

Bencher
Tipping Member
Never gonna happen, it's an interesting thought experiment but the reality is he will be an Eagle till he retires (medically or otherwise) or leaves the NRL.

sheridanstand78

First Grader
I do love Tommy as a player when full fit he is our gun.

Right now he lacks confidence and is uncertain about his health as a back spasm is very much related to hamstring and other leg injuries.

What I believe needs to be one is a frank conversation between Tommy and the coaching team about how he can benefit the team the most?

On his day he is destructive and the demands of fullback play are making it harder for him to be there long term.

I think at Penrith we saw an example where a new coach did not want to upset the apple cart and allowed Tom to play when he was clearly incapacitated. A strong coach would have withdrawn him full stop.

From the first set we were cooked. The body language of our players new the writing was on the wall, Our 1 and also our 9 were clearly hampered by injuries and Penrith were fresh as daisies and cut us to ribbons!!

The time for the conversation about how to use Tommy has come. Our centres are not up to first grade standard and we need someone who can penetrate and also create. I would seriously consider playing him there, put Weekes or young Jake Toby at full back and believe that would help the team.

Tom is always a threat when an attacking kick is put up and I see him causing lots of trouble for opposition teams defending our attacking kicks.

What we saw at Penrith must not be repeated. If he is injured do NOT play him!!

I do love Tommy as a player when full fit he is our gun.

Right now he lacks confidence and is uncertain about his health as a back spasm is very much related to hamstring and other leg injuries.

What I believe needs to be one is a frank conversation between Tommy and the coaching team about how he can benefit the team the most?

On his day he is destructive and the demands of fullback play are making it harder for him to be there long term.

I think at Penrith we saw an example where a new coach did not want to upset the apple cart and allowed Tom to play when he was clearly incapacitated. A strong coach would have withdrawn him full stop.

From the first set we were cooked. The body language of our players new the writing was on the wall, Our 1 and also our 9 were clearly hampered by injuries and Penrith were fresh as daisies and cut us to ribbons!!

The time for the conversation about how to use Tommy has come. Our centres are not up to first grade standard and we need someone who can penetrate and also create. I would seriously consider playing him there, put Weekes or young Jake Toby at full back and believe that would help the team.

Tom is always a threat when an attacking kick is put up and I see him causing lots of trouble for opposition teams defending our attacking kicks.

What we saw at Penrith must not be repeated. If he is injured do NOT play him!!
Back in the mid 2000s to 2015, we had an assortment of players, where if one went down injured or underperformed at least the other guys could cover for each other. It is deeply troubling where you have a situation in which you expect your no.1 player to do a job even if he's on 1 leg and hes getting no support from most of his teammates.

robbiea

First Grader
Tipping Member
With his injury prognosis Tommy is a game breaker or salary cap and performance killer. At present, his huge salary is limiting team. You can't carry anyone in the nrl, let alone on 1.2 million dollars. His injury is basically going to green light our next three seasons or we will end up near the bottom. panthers mate reckons we are mad paying him so much for so long. DCE was a risk but it luckily worked out.
But did it ?.
Dce hasn't won us nothing since signing the big money.

Eagle 1

First Grader
I could've sworn Tom was only using one arm on occasions.
Agree, not good to see a champion player like Turbo struggling in that game, don't know why Sieb's kept him on. When you can't play to best of your ability you actually court more injuries to yourself.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
13 10 3 97 24
14 10 4 118 22
14 10 4 78 22
13 8 5 66 20
14 8 6 143 18
13 7 6 81 18
13 7 6 -55 18
14 7 6 42 17
14 7 7 37 16