Is it time to move on from Turbo?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Should Manly keep Turbo?

• Yes

Votes: 26 38.8%
  • Unsure

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • No

Votes: 29 43.3%

• Total voters
Turbo’s year to date:

Pre season - Does hamstring for 3rd time, club paying him over $1 million a year sends him on a free trip to the US for rehab
Rounds 1-11 - Plays at 30% trying to protect his body, not playing any defence as we only win 4/10 games
Round 12 - plays his best game of the season with his Origin spot on the line, smash the Raiders in Canberra
Round 13 - missing on Origin duty as we lose to the Knights
Origin 1 - ‘didn’t get any ball’ even though he would go looking for it himself in past Origin games, gets knocked out in final 10 mins
Round 15 - club gets exemption for him to play despite the category 1 HIA, with his Origin spot on the line once again he dominates and we flog the Phins
Origin 2 - torn pec missing a tackle in the first 2 minutes, while we put in our worst performance of the year at Parramatta a few days earlier

I absolutely love the bloke for the joy he gave us in beating up on **** teams in that 2021 year, and he can’t be blamed too much for being made of glass, but the way this year has gone has really soured me on him. Don’t know how we do it, but it might be time to cut our losses and start fresh

True, but availability is assumed at 100% when the contract is signed, few realise that availability though sadly. Like I asked HK eagle who assuming 100% availability would you pick over turbo assuming turbo starts at 100% too?
There isn't another player I'd pick over him if injuries weren't a thing. Sadly they are. His has a very significant history with injury that simply can't be overlooked. Not saying drop him. I honestly thing a conversation needs to be had along the lines of a position shift to centre to reduce the mileage he puts through his legs and also about bowing out from rep footy to reduce the wear and tear generally.

Manly fans and the club have been extremely patient with him. Between him, Jake and DCE we have what, $3m of the cap out for SOO each year. This is why I hate SOO but it's something that Turbo needs to consider bowing away from as his body is telling him he needs to.

For reference, I'd play him and Garrick in Centre, Saab and Koula on the wing with Weekes at FB. If he doesn't work at FB, Garrick back there, Koula to centre and someone else at wing 👍

There isn't another player I'd pick over him if injuries weren't a thing. Sadly they are. His has a very significant history with injury that simply can't be overlooked. Not saying drop him. I honestly thing a conversation needs to be had along the lines of a position shift to centre to reduce the mileage he puts through his legs and also about bowing out from rep footy to reduce the wear and tear generally.

Manly fans and the club have been extremely patient with him. Between him, Jake and DCE we have what, $3m of the cap out for SOO each year. This is why I hate SOO but it's something that Turbo needs to consider bowing away from as his body is telling him he needs to.

For reference, I'd play him and Garrick in Centre, Saab and Koula on the wing with Weekes at FB. If he doesn't work at FB, Garrick back there, Koula to centre and someone else at wing 👍
Unfortunately it doesn’t matter where you put Tom he is just injury prone and we have to accept that and he either takes a pay cut or we move him on..we can’t keep paying that type of money in the hope he will see through a full season and help take us to the grand final..our hopes of a successful season has been disrupted by him but now it’s gone..we have to wait till next season now and even then every fan will be nervous whenever he touches the ball or tackles..by round 6 we will all be on anti anxiety tabs

My panthers mate said he is too costly and you can't win premierships with a guy on 1.2-1.4 million as a fullback. He told me this 3 years ago and he has been on the dot. He'd rather 3 500k players instead which fits into the Penrith salary cap that well. :confused: Whoever signed three players for 3.6 million plus was absolutely destroying the chances of winning a comp. Too much on too few players and it is now there to see.

Don't want to buy into the whole "should we move on" debate because I reckon we have no choice but to persist with him, but do you think any other club would be willing to take on the risk - and that's what Tommy is now, a risk - for $1.1 million a season? Honestly, if I thought the curse on his body could be lifted by a change of club - as apparently it was when Tedesco left the Tigers - I'd help him pack his bags, because it would be better for everybody if he could just play rugby league. But history suggests that frequently injured players remain frequently injured.

I love tom.. the guy is manly through and through, ide like to see him get the Greg Inglis treatment.. put him on the club payroll, have him work with the up and coming fullbacks…
Keep him around the club, around the players..

He’s set for life with his footy earnings, plus his accounting background or whatever he studied in uni + connections from being a superstar will get him any job at any firm he wants if that’s the way he goes…

But as a footy fan, who loves manly, I just can’t see the value in paying him a million dollars+ a season anymore…

He can’t even play half a season, and when he does, lately it takes the first 6-8 games to warm up to nrl level , meaning he is on over a million dollars to play like an elite star for 3-4 games a year…

And it’s not like it’s the same injury.. maybe the hammy will be great from now on, but if it’s not the hamstring it’s an ankle, if it’s not an ankle it’s a torn pec, if it’s not a pec it’s knee cartilage, if it’s not knee cartilage it’s a dislocated shoulder… it never ends…

Its crippling the club.. there’s no other way to put it.. Tom turbo is strangling the life out of manly and destroying any chance guys like dce or jake have of ever competing for a title before they retire..

That’s a loaded question. Obviously, there is not a single player in the comp as talented as Turbo… but, no point being the most talented skilful player sitting on the bench. So, I ask you… are we better with a Turbo sitting out most of the season or a less talented Gutho/Edwards playing game in game out?
I don’t agree that with the comment that turbo is the most talented player in the comp. They’re a few in front of him re raw talent. When fit he’s so good because he gets involved and looks for the ball. Raw talent .. not so much

I'm not ignoring it, I hate it when turbo gets injured, it sucks.But I don't know that the position change will work, after all he was playing centre when he got injured last night. I just hope he gets fit and comes back and doesn't get injured for the rest of his career, unlikely I know but it's all I've got 🤷‍♀️

I don’t agree that with the comment that turbo is the most talented player in the comp. They’re a few in front of him re raw talent. When fit he’s so good because he gets involved and looks for the ball. Raw talent .. not so much
His talent is his ability to read the game and expose weaknesses in the opposition. That still a talent. Then he is fast, can step, pass, fend, etc. you can’t do what he did in 21 without raw talent. Dylan Edwards gets involved and goes looking for the ball, but he is not as destructive as Tom.

Sorry, this game is now a business now is the time to cut him and move on.
No player should be treated bigger than the club and has really won nothing for Manly in order to be treated like royalty.
Unfortunately bad things happen to good people also and fans deserve better.

His talent is his ability to read the game and expose weaknesses in the opposition. That still a talent. Then he is fast, can step, pass, fend, etc. you can’t do what he did in 21 without raw talent. Dylan Edwards gets involved and goes looking for the ball, but he is not as destructive as Tom.
For all Turbo's talents, the fact remains that he hasn't won a premiership compared to Edwards.
We have been putting all our eggs in one basket and losing out.

There's a lot of good young players starting to come through and it's time to stop living in the past.

Some people carry on like he's only been around for a few years and has a long career front of him, whereas in reality he's in his 8th season. That's a long stint for a football player and any time a player's career can come to a halt due to injuries.

Last edited:
Off to Europe tomorrow and won't be back until the end of September ,,,,now I am not concerned that I can't keep up with games. Don't even think I will look at results!!!!!!!

Reality is even when Turbo had a great season in 2021 he didn't dominate against the top 4 opposition. They worked him out and nullified his abilities. He had 1 good series in origin but again that was against a transitioning Qld side from the old guard to the new. Add in the injuries and lack of completing a season and it's clear this guy just isn't worth it. However we are stuck with him till 2026 as no one else will want him unless it would be at half the price which means we'd carry at least $600K which would be madness. It's an irrelevant argument whether or not we keep him.

Above posts all very sensible and valid points. These days the game is very damaging on joints. Shoulders, knees, ankles. Its TT's curse that he is also tissue vulnerable: Pec, Hammies. The club will find it very difficult to unload him anywhere. Maybe Des and Foz would make a bid.
The club will more or less be forced to put him on notice well before contract expiry, how much $$ they'll be prepared to re sign him on. Until then, its very doubtful that the club can get out from under this 1000 ohm resistor towards a premiership.
At least 1 title per decade, but so far in the "20s", we look well off the pace.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8