Is it time to face the facts ?…..

MANLY4LIFE

Bencher
Turbo to centres … we cant keep doing this its insanity for his sake and ours as a club

Hes destined to be a one club player ,but we cant keep paying him top dollar to be out all the time .

He goes off a “BIG 4 “ wage next contract and moves to centres and helps our cap instead of eating it up …

Garrick has improved alot move him there and we look at koula or “find” someone else for the future

Tommy was the best player in the Comp last season, injuries have busted him in 2022.

He will come back from this, for this season Koula should be given the chance to prove himself at the back, Garrick was ok at the back but he doesn’t have that X-factor in him.

So were happy for our cap to continually get eaten up by 4-500k extra per year for a player whos lucky to play 10-15 games?

Yes hes a gun fullback we know this but hes never on the park consistently enough to fulfill what we need we are already 10 games in and hes been broken 90% of them

Hes becoming more injury prone then snake but atleast he won us two comps …

He can play anywhere and still be devastating atleast in the centres it might prolong his career

Tommy was the best player in the Comp last season, injuries have busted him in 2022.

He will come back from this, for this season Koula should be given the chance to prove himself at the back, Garrick was ok at the back but he doesn’t have that X-factor in him.
That’s funny… almost like his injury tonight was something new and unexpected. He may come back and play another brilliant half season or handful of games or whatever… but he ain’t taking us to a premiership. He’s just a pleasant distraction when he’s actually playing

That’s funny… almost like his injury tonight was something new and unexpected. He may come back and play another brilliant half season or handful of games or whatever… but he ain’t taking us to a premiership. He’s just a pleasant distraction when he’s actually playing
We will be doing extremely well to get a player who is a better footballer than Tommy.

The only reason I am willing to defend Turbo taking so much of the cap is that without him, we have absolutely no chance of winning a premiership with our current squad. Zero chance. It is not in the realm of possibility.

So I would rather have Turbo on the books and gamble on his fitness then not have him at all.

We will be doing extremely well to get a player who is a better footballer than Tommy.
I’ll just say… Objectively and dispassionately, I’d rather a lesser player who can be relied on to turn up week in week out in terms of winning a premiership. And I love Tom and love watching him play. Unfortunately, with his ongoing injury liabilities his loss hurts us as badly as him being in helps us. The lump sum does not add up to a premiership.

The only reason I am willing to defend Turbo taking so much of the cap is that without him, we have absolutely no chance of winning a premiership with our current squad. Zero chance. It is not in the realm of possibility.

So I would rather have Turbo on the books and gamble on his fitness then not have him at all.
Sorry, but we have zero chance with a cameo-only Tom. He is absolutely brilliant when playing healthy. The best I have seen in the 5-6 decades I’ve been watching the game. But we will never win with him in the current set-up. Reminds me of my second fav attacking Manly player, Johnny Gibbs. Sad, but it is what it is.

Sorry, but we have zero chance with a cameo-only Tom. He is absolutely brilliant when playing healthy. The best I have seen in the 5-6 decades I’ve been watching the game. But we will never win with him in the current set-up. Reminds me of my second fav attacking Manly player, Johnny Gibbs. Sad, but it is what it is.
The question really is could we find another player capable of winning a grand final with our current squad, for $1.2m.

I don’t see many (available) in the competition at the moment, however that being said, if we theoretically managed to pick up a young papenhauzen then I may agree with you ….. 85%-90% of the player, with greater reliability than Turbo.

The question really is could we find another player capable of winning a grand final with our current squad, for $1.2m.

I don’t see many (available) in the competition at the moment, however that being said, if we theoretically managed to pick up a young papenhauzen then I may agree with you ….. 85%-90% of the player, with greater reliability than Turbo.
I see we have two talented young guns in our top 30 who both play fullback. This is the perfect scenario to bring in Weekes or Koula to fb and see how they go. Paps was nobody until given the chance by Bellamy. Nobody expects them to be another Turbo or overnight sensation, but they may just surprise many and may even prove durable and reliable in the position.

Turbo to centre doesn't really even do anything to minimise his injuries. People will still want him to be that type of sweeping centre that he is in origin, and the shoulder injury like tonight can't be avoided just because he's playing in a different position. That was pure unluckiness. Get over this Turbo to centre thing. It'd be the dumbest and most cowardly thing we could possibly do.

Last edited:
  • 👍
Reactions: Ned
Turbo to centre doesn't really even do anything to minimise his injuries. People will still want him to be that type of sweeping centre that he is in origin, and those shoulder thing like tonight can't be avoided just because he's playing in a different position. That was pure unluckiness. Get over this Turbo to centre thing. It'd be the dumbest and most cowardly thing we could possibly do.
Just as dumb as believing his injuries are merely “unluckiness”. I do agree that shifting him to centre doesn’t necessarily solve much.

Just as dumb as believing his injuries are merely “unluckiness”. I do agree that shifting him to centre doesn’t necessarily solve much.
I didn't say all his injuries are unluckiness did I lmao??? But the shoulder one tonight was. He was competing to push out the ball dead and he got his arm caught. Pure unluckiness, could've happened to anyone.

I didn't say all his injuries are unluckiness did I lmao??? But the shoulder one tonight was. He was competing to push out the ball dead and he got his arm caught. Pure unluckiness, could've happened to anyone.
And yet, injuries just keep happening to Tom. Poor guy, just the unluckiest sportsman to ever live. Lol.

And yet, injuries just keep happening to Tom. Poor guy, just the unluckiest sportsman to ever live. Lol.
My initial point I made: shoulder injury tonight was pure unluckiness which it was and putting him in centre would not change anything which you agreed on. So wtf are you trying to get at lmao?

My initial point I made: shoulder injury tonight was pure unluckiness which it was and putting him in centre would not change anything which you agreed on. So wtf are you trying to get at lmao?
I'm trying to get at that perhaps the concept of luck, or lack thereof, is a $hitty concept. Luck is a poor excuse when we are unable to understand something or we simply wanna play victim. Choose a better narrative and we may get "lucky" and find a key to turn it all around. I share that from my personal world and have no idea how Tom views all of this. I have no doubt it upsets him and he would rather be playing than sitting on the bench. And none of it was a dig at you personally... I was trying to play the ball.

I'm trying to get at that perhaps the concept of luck, or lack thereof, is a $hitty concept. Luck is a poor excuse when we are unable to understand something or we simply wanna play victim. Choose a better narrative and we may get "lucky" and find a key to turn it all around. I share that from my personal world and have no idea how Tom views all of this. I have no doubt it upsets him and he would rather be playing than sitting on the bench. And none of it was a dig at you personally... I was trying to play the ball.
I understand, Turbo's strength and physical conditioning have failed him multiple times and have most likely been a massive factor in injuries such as his hamstrings, knees, and ankles. He obviously has some deficiencies in that area of his body which is letting him down. His body is not strong enough in those parts.

But injuries such as the shoulder one and the pec one he had a few years ago were when he's making a last ditch attempt at saving a try, it could've happened to any player and it was pure accident. Sport injuries aren't all just unluckiness and accidents but also aren't all just weaknesses in physical ability. Unfortunately, Turbo has suffered from both those factors with his injuries.

Team P W L PD Pts
2 2 0 36 4
2 2 0 26 4
2 2 0 23 4
2 2 0 19 4
2 2 0 12 4
2 1 1 13 2
2 1 1 10 2
2 1 1 3 2
2 1 1 0 2
2 1 1 0 2
2 1 1 -14 2