Internet Service Providers

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I had mine all set up and working. But i have to call a line fault as the modem sync rate is only at 800kbps down 500 od up and the iinet techies think theirs a shoddy wiring / connector somewhere along the journey.

Apparently my distance from the exchange adn that particular exchange traffic i shoudl be up around 5-6 mbit downoload at least.

most houses have "copper wire faults"

Be aware getting a tech out to look for line faults is going to cost you because they likely wont find anything either.

well i had the only wall outlet replaced from a 605 to rj45 and the phone line i can't have changed by my father (sparkie) as it runs all the way out to the telstra pit without any other connection on line.

The only NID in/on the house is for foxtel cable so i am legally not allowed to enter the telstra pit and change the phone cable which i had bought cat 5e cable to redo from the nid until it ended up being foxtel.

So as far as i see it, ive changed every connection inside the boundry so its telstra/iinet issue.

What makes it double safe is while they may not find an issue i am still not recieving the minimum 1500kbps which indicates they MUST search for an error on the lines at their expense regardless of finding faults. Im also entitled to compensation apparently as im not recieving the minium expectations of the service yet paying full price. 

Only if it falls within my property boundy will i be charged and im pretty sure ive covered that base. The last test before i lodge a fault is to test my new modem that arrives some time this week.

yup if you can get telstra to commit to changing the copper wire free of charge or cheap you would already be a step ahead and that would likely fix the fault. My bet is that it is sitting in a puddle of water that has no where to drain to. Happens all the time

we are on a old supernerd plan about 4km from the exchange on adsl2 and get speeds of about 270kbs dl with 50GB usage between 1am to 9am and 150gb between 9am to 1am for $80 a month

yeah thats what the old man said on the weekend. He showed me where the line runs to in the telstra pit directly out the front and under the power pole near our driveway. He said that will be full of water and that will be the problem. Anyhow, its all speculation.

Good news is Voip works flawlessly. free local and national calls. 29c minute charged in 30sec blocks to mobile no flag fall and $2max internat calls. No Voip account fee. Laughing :D

Flip link said:
Can you even browse the web for a month on 25GB anymore? All the forced steaming media just chews up usage. Not to mention i buy a lot of digital media (games, music ect).

You can browse the web and do a bit of online streaming etc. fine for 10GB per month, or even half that if yer careful and don't stream much.

Course, buying and dloading digital media will add a lot to that.

Always research Aussie ISPs at http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/

This list is currently on that frontpage:

"Our members use
#1  Internode
#2  iiNet
#3  TPG Internet
#4  Telstra BigPond
#5  OptusNet
#6  Exetel
#7  Netspace
#8  Adam Internet
#9  Westnet
#10  aaNet
#11  iPrimus
#12  Amnet
#13  3
#14  AAPT
#15  Virgin Broadband
#16  Dodo
#17  Comcen Internet
#18  People Telecom
#19  Spin Internet
#20  Beagle Internet"

I'd recommend considering only ISPs in the top 15 on that list with the exception of Telstra & Optus - I'd never recommend them.

Use the tools in that website as well as the discussion forums to compare and work out some plans that suit you.

ADSL2+ is good value of late if you can get it reasonably well through your exchange, otherwise 1500/256 ADSL as a minimum is a good idea for most.

OP: sounds like your new $79pm plan will be great, especially compared to your old setup, cool.

Internode and iinet are the best for a reason. I went with people for the price and have regretted it from day one.

I am not going to change yet as I will be moving anyway and can jsut leave it until then anyway, but will certainly be straight on the Internode Fast plans otherwise will be with iiNet.

Netspace is now owned by Internode, they acquired them last week.

The new AAPT unlimited everything plan looks good and I can see a massive change in the way internet is sold in Australia finally starting to happen now

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4