Internet Service Providers

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

fLIP

UFO Hunter
Im moving house on the coming weekend and disconnecting everything.

One thing I'm looking to change at my new place is what ISP I will be using. Im really starting to feel you get the raw end of the stick from Bigpond.

Crappy speeds/$ (even in terms of Australias pathetic internet) low cap limits and so on. Its reliable but i want a little bit more value for money.

At the moment I'm paying $79.95 a month. This inculdes 25GB per month cap. This isn't a peak/offpeak plan, just 25GB any time and this limit encompases upload data aswell. The speed is 1500/256kbps which is probably as low as i would consider going. Can you even browse the web for a month on 25GB anymore? All the forced steaming media just chews up usage. Not to mention i buy a lot of digital media (games, music ect).

Anyway, back to the original topic. Is there anyone here who considers their internet package is great value, very reliable and would reccomend to anybody? Or does anyone know of any that might be hidden about the place because I have had a look but i thought I'd ask here and get some personal opinions on ISPs before commiting.

I use IInet, 1500/512, 40 GB (20/20) for about $60 off the top of my head.

Thats out here in the sticks, metro stuff is a bit quicker and better obviously. I've been with them for 5 years or so and never had a problem.

Internode has been voted the best ISP for about 2 or 3 years in a row. I will be switch to them shortly

Those happen to be the two im looking at the most. Ive got quite a few mates on internode and ive read some good things about iinet.

Leaning more towards iinet as they have a dslam at the exchange and node dont. If i go with 2+ i dont wanna forfeit any speed.

I am the other way around, Inode use telstra DSLAM so i can get my connection through that iinet wont waste the money here

Im very interested in the free local and national Voip included with iinet on naked DSL.

Whats VoiP quality vs phone like? Ive used a few ventrillo / mumble servers before woudl it be comparable in quality?

do you know anything about what sort of bandwidth and data usage they require?

Voip can be pretty good.

Just depends on where the servers are

I have phone and internet with Optus. I get 20GB a month plus all phone calls to any mobile (for 20 mins), local calls etc for $109 per month at ADSL2. Not bad though I am told there is better. Only have to pay for 1300 numbers, International or Mobile calls longer than 20 mins.

As dan said all depends on where the servers are.

I am with Internode (3rd year) after being with Telstra ADSL + Cable for 5-7. The big difference is that Telstra for me has alwyas been better that Internode. Though this is not the case with most people. Telstra tech and sales support is 24/7 whereas internode provides NSW business hours, 9-6, 8-5 QLD which is a **** for me who works 8-5 QLD time.

Telstra has better extras and free download content outside of Gaming. But if you like gaming that the Gamearena servers are awesome when on telstra.

Telstra is for me the best option if it is in a good affluent area.

Well i've ended up going with iinet.

I went with the bob offer they have on modem/wireless router/voip phone in one. 30gb/30gb ADSL2+ for $79.95 mth.

All local and national calls free, 29c/min to mobiles with no call conection so im pretty happy with all that.

Given my internet now is $79.95 on its own its a huge saving.

I am with exetel and pay $55 a month for 1500 speed. For that I get 30Gb midday to midnight and unlimited midnight to midday. If i go over on my peak quoter it 50 cents per GB.

Wish i could get adsl2+ would get the naked 60/70 plan at $65

Hard part for me is I need maximum speed I am on the 8mbit plan with the one i am with and pay about $140 a month, though it is a tax deduction for me due to working from home and using it only for work.

Bigpond will always have the faster speeds and better quality but their plans just don't cut it for mine, and you end up paying more.

We are thinking of moving soon so will wait until then to change

Dan link said:
Hard part for me is I need maximum speed I am on the 8mbit plan with the one i am with and pay about $140 a month, though it is a tax deduction for me due to working from home and using it only for work.

Bigpond will always have the faster speeds and better quality but their plans just don't cut it for mine, and you end up paying more.

Be careful of the speeds when moving away from telstra, competitors can offer the 8Mbit line or 25MBit line but really they can only guarantee a 1.5MBit line.

Nate link said:
[quote author=Dan link=topic=182627.msg257023#msg257023 date=1269551220]

Be careful of the speeds when moving away from telstra, competitors can offer the 8Mbit line or 25MBit line but really they can only guarantee a 1.5MBit line.
[/quote]

Yeah very true. My speed rarely reach that speed unless I am downloading from MS or Telstra etc, but generally get speeds above 1.5

iinet are usually good for this as they are on their own dslams in a lot of areas

Digital Subscriber Line Acess Multiplexer it is essentially a chunk of hardware that facilitates phone line connection to the internet. ADSL2 capable ones are obviously better.

They are not cheap hence why Telstra waits so long to roll them out in every exchange especially in regional areas

yeah I'm not holding my breath out here that Iinet will be doing anythign with one, we are still ADSL1 speeds at best.

You would be surprised Telstra have been running a lot of upgrades lately.

We recently got ADSL2+ via Telstra and Telstra resellers up here in the Bay and most of Sunny coast are on them now.

This basically means you can go with any telstra reseller, or anyone that uses their DSLAM.

Check bigpond, if they say ADSL2 then look at Internode as they use the DSLAM, DODO do as well but they are crap. I also think iPrimus do as well

yeah I check them pretty regularly and they aren't coming here any time soon.

TPG is probably our only other option.

I have been looking at getting away from Bigpond with either iinet or Internode. Looks like Internode will be getting my business!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4