Ian Schubert

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

simon_eagle

Reserve Grader
Have I read this correctly?

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/brett-stewart-contract-saga-resolved/story-e6frexnr-1226587779251

Basically Ian Schubert has accused us of underpaying or undervaluing Tony Williams' contract from last season? What right does he have to say this? Surely the contract is between the Club and the player (and his representatives). I think you'll find that most NRL contracts are back-ended and the fact that we sold him should make no difference.

I find it hard to believe that an NRL auditor can merely add another 60k to our salary cap from last season, and - as a result - tip us over the edge, meaning we have now a salary cap breach tag.

Presumably the contract was signed by the player, and even if it was undervalued in 2012, it's strange that someone can come in and do this.

I was thinking the same thing, very odd indeed.

As if Storm/Broncos players over the years have had undervalued contracts for a season or two and then overvalued in their last year.

Crazy.

He had no problem with Gasnier coming back from Union on a back ended deal, playing for peanuts the first year (winning a premiership in the process) , then suddenly retiring the following year and not even seeing out the contract.

bones said:
He had no problem with Gasnier coming back from Union on a back ended deal, playing for peanuts the first year (winning a premiership in the process) , then suddenly retiring the following year and not even seeing out the contract.

This.

**I will preface everything I say these days with the caveat that if News Ltd media said it, I dont necessarily believe it.

Schubert would want to be carefull on this. He wouldnt want to go making his personal opinion on this matter blow out to start involving a whole raft of other clubs and other contracts.

If there is no regulatory benchmark to go by, then why isnt there ? After all, thats what your being paid for Mr Schubert !

And today the smokescreen fo $BW, whic was Brett stewaqtrs contract, has gone and they mention that Sonnys isnt signed yet...
What a load of bullsh1t this guy is.

Wasnt Williams contract approved Mr Schubert...F**k off you idiot

When is he going to get sacked and they appoint an independant auditor.

Ooops that would be pro active from the ARLC...then again the new Boss wouldnt know who Schubert is, I guess.

So after the Bulldogs cheating the salary cap in 2002 and the players accepting pay cuts to stay together and win it in 2004 is ok.

What a joke.

his contract would've been negotiated before he played origin / test wouldn't it? if there was no clauses put in to add to value if he did play that, then why should the club have to suddenly upgrade? poor form from the agent / manager, not the clubs fault.

how many years was Lockyer paid well under market value for? 60k for rep footy, wasnt he on 200k contract? so what if he played a year extra and retired from rep, you could register him for 140k?

So is he saying that because of the rep status we should have paid him more? I wonder what will be said of Lockyers contract.

Crap hope he doesn't look at DCE contract for 2011 which had him on less than 100k winning a premiership and an Australian jersey.
Surely if they want to go down that path we will end up with a fantasy league approach where players have set salaries. Correct me if i am wrong but the market sets the players value. Trex was not forced to sign that contract. It was ratified by the league at the time. If a mistake was made with Trexs contract it would have been addressed back then. Back ending was not illegal, trex could have stayed this year and taken his increased cut, but he elected to move on.

Supernintendo Chalmers said:
his contract would've been negotiated before he played origin / test wouldn't it? if there was no clauses put in to add to value if he did play that, then why should the club have to suddenly upgrade? poor form from the agent / manager, not the clubs fault.

Exactly, mate. His agent is at fault for the contract. But this isn't an issue of Williams being out of pocket. It's an issue of an independent auditor making us put another 60k on top of our already bulging salary cap from last season (and quite discriminately and unfairly).

I think we all know its one rule for certain clubs and a completely different set for club like Manly. If not why then do we see clubs like the Chooks Brisbane, and obviously the mob playing out of Melbourne getting away with this rubbish year after year.

Questions should now be asked of this fools position given he has now come out and effectively stated he is lord over the value of players contracts and HE ALONE will determine what the real value of a player is. GIVE ME A BREAK!

Let's bombard programe like TalknSport etc and make this fool answer for his clealry bias towards only a few clubs!

Look I dont believe any of that ****. In recent weeks Manly have released Mauro, Foran and the cap has been increased by more than anticipated. Any of these events individually or collectively should have been worth the 60K

What i also dont get is how all of this is directly linked to Bretts contract. Surely we have signed other players since Stewarts contract was submitted, and if so wouldnt that make a lawrence or lawntons contract in jeopardy rather than Bretts

Somehow none of this feels right. And if it were 60K and the minimum wage has been increased to 80, how the hell did we sign symons. Surely his 80k would have nulified the deal with 20 to spare

Please explain

simon_eagle said:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/brett-stewart-contract-saga-resolved/story-e6frexnr-1226587779251

Basically Ian Schubert has accused us of underpaying or undervaluing Tony Williams' contract from last season? What right does he have to say this? Surely the contract is between the Club and the player (and his representatives). I think you'll find that most NRL contracts are back-ended and the fact that we sold him should make no difference.

I find it hard to believe that an NRL auditor can merely add another 60k to our salary cap from last season, and - as a result - tip us over the edge, meaning we have now a salary cap breach tag.

Presumably the contract was signed by the player, and even if it was undervalued in 2012, it's strange that someone can come in and do this.

I made this point in another thread.

Schubert accepted Williams contract for two-years with an option in his favour. Value for each season must have been a part of it given the Cap calculation for Manly needs to be considered.

He accepted that this may mean Williams could leave the club after just one season, given the contract agreement.

But now that this eventuated, he decides that the previous value (which he agreed to) is wrong?!?!?!?

The club should be fighting this hard and public. There is enough support outside the club for the vaguarities of the Cap to make it about more than just Manly.

simon_eagle said:

Then the question has to be asked: Why did the NRL and Schubert rummber stamp it?

swoop said:
simon_eagle said:

Then the question has to be asked: Why did the NRL and Schubert rummber stamp it?

Personally i think he should exercise on his own time,

I've been calling for Schuberts sacking forever. The auditing of contracts and clubs should be by an independent body, maybe one of the big four. He should have gone when Gallop got the arse.

I have to put this down to bad News Ltd reporting - my guess is they are misreporting the issue (whatever it is) because they don't understand it.

Surely Schubert can't say the terms of a contract he signed off on himself are "suspicious" in light of the achievements of the player concerned which occurred after the contract is signed and legitimately fine Manly as a result.

^ I agree. Also we can be sure that Perry and co wouldn't allow such a b/s situation to be claimed as fair and legal to the club.

We've signed Brett and the hacks at "insert media name here" don't like it and ONCE AGAIN are trying to take away our happiness at some good news.

Rejoice and be happy my feathered friends - Brett is good to go!

Based on his efforts in the past 12 months t-rex's contract value should have been assesed at nil in line with the value he gave us

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6