How to stop this terrible 10 minute patch

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Before I start I stand by the fact I'm still VERY happy we got the 2 points against Storm - not many teams get that result, but poor area's of the game need to be discussed and not hidden.
Firstly - Get the players to watch Jake come off that field absolutely blowing up - it's called passion, desire, determination, pride and never say die....the game is 80 minutes.
Off a scrum 10m out, Big Nelson scores dropping under Pap and trampling an iscolated Garrick, with zero help from the slide and should have been at least 2 players there.
Jake - "I'm pi**ed off, I told them C***s they about that play.
Jake is the Best Captain imo and he may have been taken off 5 mins early....though with that lead you would expect the players to maintain a higher level of intensity.
I mean it's dumb if we start doing the "Can't score points without Turbo" and "Can't be enthusiastic" without Jake - EVERY player needs to be accountable.
It only got worse from there and I would have loved to hear Jake mic'd up that last 7 minutes.
The problem with that big lead is there's 2 things that can happen.
1) You can aggressively apply the blowtorch andput the foot on the throat, showing no mercy and totally massacre the opposition running away with the game (Premiership Winning teams do this)
2) Take the foot off the pedal and only compete with minimal effort, thinking the clock and scoreboard are in your favour so the energy levels drop 50%....which can be a scary thing, as it's hard to get that momentum back and once the opposition get a sniff of the drop in intensity, they can score a flurry of points and at this point it's "are we far enough in front" to hold on and Win the game that 'was" in the bag only 5 minutes ago.

I think only the players can decide who they want to be out of these 2 options and I expect a much better close out final 10 - 15 minutes from here on in 2022.

I'm not worried.

Des can yell at shuster to stay onside (though jake will do it) and tell dce not to kick towards the sideline and all shall be well.

Minor things

It comes down to managing the game taking control play the low percentage plays hold the ball run hard run straight kick to the corners
Mentally they have to be switched on . For all of DCE brilliance at times game management is not one

It comes down to managing the game taking control play the low percentage plays hold the ball run hard run straight kick to the corners
Mentally they have to be switched on . For all of DCE brilliance at times game management is not one
Look I have always stuck up for DCE and that 40/20 last night really was a big play along with some other great efforts including the flat cutout pass for Koula's 2nd try, but to kick through after the siren with Manly leading by 6 points - WTF - just Kill the game, already had gotten far closer than needed, why open another door ??

Remember Manly vs Cows last season we scored from our own ingoal area, I mean if that pass got to Pappenhausen ingoals, he may have raced 100m, to potentially level the game (not much chance in reality, but WHY gift them ANY opportunity ??

Look I have always stuck up for DCE and that 40/20 last night really was a big play along with some other great efforts including the flat cutout pass for Koula's 2nd try, but to kick through after the siren with Manly leading by 6 points - WTF - just Kill the game, already had gotten far closer than needed, why open another door ??

Remember Manly vs Cows last season we scored from our own ingoal area, I mean if that pass got to Pappenhausen ingoals, he may have raced 100m, to potentially level the game (not much chance in reality, but WHY gift them ANY opportunity ??
I think the problem with Dce is that his effort areas cause more issues than they do benefit the team. He chases people across field in d which leaves gaps back on his outside and confuses the defensive line. He is frantic in attack trying to not let the play die but just breaks the play down around him by not running direct. Kicks early in the play when the try might not be on. They’re all fairly ambitious plays which can be brilliant occasionally but they aren’t percentage plays which generally win footy matches. I think he’s great And very often will pull an inspiring play from out of nowhere but he’s not a calming influence on those around him.

I believe The Shoe had been sick leading up to this match, but what is the point of putting him on with 18 minutes remaining and we are up by 24 points? He is an attacking weapon. He is there to score points rather than prevent them.
So, imo, The Shoe must start. When you want to close out the match then replace him with Davey or DeLuxe.
The Shoe has the potential to be a superstar, but playing him off the bench is not working. You don't play Turbo off the bench do you?

417NFSY0K3L.jpg

I believe The Shoe had been sick leading up to this match, but what is the point of putting him on with 18 minutes remaining and we are up by 24 points? He is an attacking weapon. He is there to score points rather than prevent them.
So, imo, The Shoe must start. When you want to close out the match then replace him with Davey or DeLuxe.
The Shoe has the potential to be a superstar, but playing him off the bench is not working. You don't play Turbo off the bench do you?
Put Jake to Prop, Shoe to 13

It’s a tuff one, to beat sides like the cows and Melbourne, you need to play high intensity footy, both with and without the ball, with that comes mistakes which lead to fatigue and to a larger degree more mistakes.

For mine we have been largely underdone to start the season, we have however looked much better over the last month and building nicely the last couple of weeks, yes what happened has happened, I’m sure we will learn from it.

It’s the error and penalty count in the last 2 games that hurt us most in the last 10mins of both games, possession and completions are king, Jethro posted the lists, the numbers aren’t great, we need to work on and fix these, our fitness will continue to improve, peaking towards the finals, after experiencing whats happened twice in two weeks, I think the players and Des address those aspects of our game moving forward.

We are improving, cutting down the errors and penalties will go a long way to helping us manage the back end of games, we must also address our mental approach to finishing games off, regardless of fatigue, the last 2 weeks should teach us that games go for 80 mins and it’s never over till it’s over, cutting down the errors and penalties is a big part of the answer.

Last edited:
I would like to see better use of the bench, we almost always don't use all interchanges or give someone a few minutes. Having said that , I would like to see Sippers and the Shoe get longer minutes, it's the only way we can get them both Match conditioned.

Having watched the replay today, I think too much has been made of the last 10 minutes; we were up by 10 with a minute to go so were never going to lose. Also the ref and bunker intervened to give Melbourne a chance. I know Schuster was in front of the kicker, but no advantage from a long kick off and if so penalise every second kick off, not pluck one when u feel like it.
DCE should have killed the last play, and no reason to kick off toward the sideline, but overall he played a big part in the win, and I am as critical as anyone else when it comes to some of his decisions and game management.
Aside from Turbo, we r nearly at full strength and competing against and beating the 2nd and 3rd placed teams.
Not saying we will win the comp, but with Koula and Tuipolotou making big strides, and maybe getting Fainu in the line up at some point, can definitely see us making the 8.

I was at the Cowboys game and I think it is a combination of fitness/attitude. In the 2nd half players were visibly gassed. I think this is from matching top 4 teams in terms of effort and repeat efforts. Watching the game on FOX last night I expected Storm to score a couple of times in the first half when they peppered our line after the constant mistakes and we repelled them continuously. I think this is catching us out late in the game. Combine this with a "winneable" lead and I think this is causing the fadeout.

So if you look at it closely we are basically 12 min in 3 games away from being the form team of the competition. Last 2 min v Parra. 5 min period vs Cows and 5 min vs Storm. Conceded 40 points in those 12 min and lost 2 of 3. Without that lapse we would be sitting in 6th on 20pts and a +42 f/a. We aren't far off. We have turned ourselves around and we now need to stop the 10min lapses and early game errors. Fix those and we are actually playing top 4 football.

So if you look at it closely we are basically 12 min in 3 games away from being the form team of the competition. Last 2 min v Parra. 5 min period vs Cows and 5 min vs Storm. Conceded 40 points in those 12 min and lost 2 of 3. Without that lapse we would be sitting in 6th on 20pts and a +42 f/a. We aren't far off. We have turned ourselves around and we now need to stop the 10min lapses and early game errors. Fix those and we are actually playing top 4 football.
Conceded 40 points in 12 minutes. Yeah, I don't think we will be top 4 any time soon.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4