• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Was having a drink the other day with someone (wont mention the name for obvious reasons) who works out calcs for the Salary cap for the NRL.
As most of you guys know I reckon there should be a salary cap for the players paid from NRL plus a club cap on 3rd parties.
I argued that the NRL should consider what I was saying and was told flat that it would never work because we would loose half of all players in the NRL to Rugby union. It would appear that they know it's a rort but they can't do anything.
I want to be reincarnated to a NRL footballer! Get to play football, get drunk, take drugs, get hot chicks, get way overs in $'s than the rest of world!
Problem with that is you can't put a cap on how much a person can make.What if you had a cap on how much money you can make in total,no matter where you get it from?

A lot of uneducated people like to roll out the "How do the Broncos fit under the cap?"line without doing a bit of thinking.Apart from the actual facts of TPA's and Brisbane's advantage,if the Broncos are rorting the cap,why haven't they won a comp since '06?Are the Parra board running the club?

So I hope Cleary is looking at ways to get the most out of TPA's
Yes of course but there is a limit to what Cleary can legally do. Everyone knows TPAs must be from sponsors "not associated" with the club, and clubs aren't allowed to negotiate TPAs or guarantee them.

Last edited:
Hahaha that's fake news according to Phill Gould.

He did an AMA in twitter so I asked him his thoughts on the thoroughbreds and their TPA's. He said that I was 6 years behind the times and I was an anonymous troll from asking....then blocked me. Something tells me the Panthers have a similar setup and want to deflect the way he was so sensitive about it.

No fake news mate, I was the Broncos travel agent for 3 years, and let's just say there's some very well taken care of individuals out there!!

• 👍
Reactions: Ned
A lot of uneducated people like to roll out the "How do the Broncos fit under the cap?"line without doing a bit of thinking.Apart from the actual facts of TPA's and Brisbane's advantage,if the Broncos are rorting the cap,why haven't they won a comp since '06?Are the Parra board running the club?

They are not rorting the cap at all, in fact they are probably under the cap.

It's how they paid Lockyer $200k a year from the cap that tells the real story.

I don't know the exact dollars but the Thoroughbreds would kick in probably 2-3 Million a year , but I do say that's hearsay not fact.

They are not rorting the cap at all, in fact they are probably under the cap.

It's how they paid Lockyer $200k a year from the cap that tells the real story.

I don't know the exact dollars but the Thoroughbreds would kick in probably 2-3 Million a year , but I do say that's hearsay not fact.
That is true.Im definitely not backing the Broncos but I'm tired of the moronic people always questioning their cap.They just don't understand how the cap works and how good(rich)the Broncos resources are.

3rd party deals are a rort and everyone knows it but can't find a way around it.

Greenturd even came out when he took over and said something like 90% of the clubs 3rd party agreements come from 3 (or 4?) clubs.

He knew it was a problem and seemed to be focusing on that but nothing has been done since.

I also remember when Wendell Sailor was a young star with the broncos and the cameras showed his 2 storey home with 3 cars in the driveway and then said not bad for a guy on $20,000 a year!

The only thing that has saved our competition is the likes of broncos, roosters and dogs haven't dominated the premierships with their extra cap.

Luckily having the premierships spread around and also having up and coming stars help their clubs to a premiership show that a team full of stars may not win everytime.

You do need a couple of stars to make it happen though. Most clubs have one or two of them.

I don't think there's an easy solution to getting rid of the 3rd party deals or putting a cap on them. The top clubs will find a way around it. Brown paper bags and all!

3rd party deals are a rort and everyone knows it but can't find a way around it.

Greenturd even came out when he took over and said something like 90% of the clubs 3rd party agreements come from 3 (or 4?) clubs.

He knew it was a problem and seemed to be focusing on that but nothing has been done since.

I also remember when Wendell Sailor was a young star with the broncos and the cameras showed his 2 storey home with 3 cars in the driveway and then said not bad for a guy on $20,000 a year!

The only thing that has saved our competition is the likes of broncos, roosters and dogs haven't dominated the premierships with their extra cap.

Luckily having the premierships spread around and also having up and coming stars help their clubs to a premiership show that a team full of stars may not win everytime.

You do need a couple of stars to make it happen though. Most clubs have one or two of them.

I don't think there's an easy solution to getting rid of the 3rd party deals or putting a cap on them. The top clubs will find a way around it. Brown paper bags and all!

That's where an agreed player points valuing system would come into play. There's no way a player like Lockyer should have been allowed to run around for a supposed $200,000 a year.
As much as I dislike Parra, remember the NRL stopped them from signing Israel Folau because they valued him at higher than the eels could afford to pay.
How does it work for one team but not another ?

A points system is really the only really fair way for this to work.

Oh sure, the top 3-4 clubs will still be able to buy and pay the likes of the Lockyer's etc, but they could only afford 1 of said players.

The NRL will never be able to can the TPA's, the players union would go on strike if they did.

So let the Drizzle pay Scam whatever they want, but as the games best player he attracts the most points.

Manly were NEVER going to get Matt Gillett, didn't matter how much we offered him BUT under a points system the Donkeys may have had no choice but to unload him.

It's just a business today, for the clubs AND the players, only the fans buy into the " staying because I'm loyal " deal.

As most Manly supporters are aware, the competition is currently biased in so many ways that benefit the "favoured" clubs. Just look at the season's draw (again), playing certain teams twice and not others e.g. we don't play Newcastle twice this season, scheduling of away games, decisions on medical retirements, other teams getting around the cap year after year. May as well follow the wrestling I reckon!

I think the first thing that should happen is player salaries (as pad for by there clubs) need to be published

Happens in american sports should happen here too

Yes of course but there is a limit to what Cleary can legally do. Everyone knows TPAs must be from sponsors "not associated" with the club, and clubs aren't allowed to negotiate TPAs or guarantee them.

Which is why the Thoroughbreds are such a rort - do they seriously expect us to believe that those TPAs are 'independent' of the Broncos - so those players getting TPAs via the Thoroughbreds would still be able to access those deals if they signed with a rival club?! Yeah, pull the other one. It's half a degree of separation from the club, at best.

Ease up on the insults nerdburg.

btw, you've answered your own question. Yes, they must have some form of incompetence in the organisation to have not won a comp since '06 considering the resources they have, cheating or not.

Also, the Andrew Gee debacle has a stench around it, which to me points towards some form of cheating at the Club.

There's no way a player like Lockyer should have been allowed to run around for a supposed $200,000 a year.

Yet the NRL wouldn't allow us to offer Gifty anything under $600,000. And no offence to Gift but no way would the NRL value him at more than Lockyer. They let Brisbane get away with things like that because of two things. They are scared of top players going off to play union or something like AFL, and they are scared of another Super League situation.

Don't despair. We have Blacktown!
Reading Bird just signed with Donkeys, 3yrs $2.1m@:eek:
What's his reason?
He wants to win a premiership? No, that's not going to fly.
How about: to be close to his family...? Again, not logical.
To be coached by GOD? Perhaps a few years ago, but GOD is now a mere mortal in his senior years.
To be seen on TV every Friday night. Hummn, now that one might just work.
Because he's always thought of himself as a Thoroughbred? Yes. I think that's nailed it.

He's Gen Y, so in reality he's gone to the highest bidder, apparently $350k a year ( yes over a million) more each year for 3 years.

Most of which would be TPA, which Cronulla probably can't match!!

And yes it's a level playing field because of the cap.........lol

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8