• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Which is why the Thoroughbreds are such a rort - do they seriously expect us to believe that those TPAs are 'independent' of the Broncos - so those players getting TPAs via the Thoroughbreds would still be able to access those deals if they signed with a rival club?! Yeah, pull the other one. It's half a degree of separation from the club, at best.

Which makes the timing of the TPA interesting ..... Do the Bronco's know they already have a TPA available for BIrd? If so how? or now that they have signed him are they sitting beside the phone hoping an independent, non-associated 3rd party person is going to hear the news of Bird's signing and suddenly pick the phone up and call saying " Hey, is it possible to give you some money to cover Bird's contract"

Which is why the Thoroughbreds are such a rort - do they seriously expect us to believe that those TPAs are 'independent' of the Broncos - so those players getting TPAs via the Thoroughbreds would still be able to access those deals if they signed with a rival club?! Yeah, pull the other one. It's half a degree of separation from the club, at best.

And you can't tell me that they don't have some sort of 'under the table' fund set aside to keep certain players in Brisbane every time some Sydney club tries to poach one of their players. Someone like Darren Lockyer would have benefited from that I'd imagine.

And you can't tell me that they don't have some sort of 'under the table' fund set aside to keep certain players in Brisbane every time some Sydney club tries to poach one of their players. Someone like Darren Lockyer would have benefited from that I'd imagine.

That's basically what it is, a pool of dependable, ready cash outside of the salary cap that they know they can dip into whenever they need it to outbid other clubs, whether it's for a new signing or to retain an existing player.

Sponsors of all forms form a line at Red Hill begging to be let in the door.

Many are knocked back but " nudge nudge wink wink" suddenly have Broncos players doing the adverts on TV/Radio and being " associated " with the club.

The Donkeys are very very astute , they have more than enough Sponsors to cover their running costs so I believe they funnel the excess into the Thoroughbreds, and get around the relationship with the club / sponsors /TPA's like that.

Let me assure you all they are a very well oiled " Machine", employing the best people in every position.

Their General Manager ( not the CEO) is a whizzkid, he and their Sales manager are overseas every year looking at trends, ways to handle sponsors , fans, players , staff.

They are an impressive organisation, and I was privileged to work with them.

BUT, as a Manly fan I hate the bastards!!!!!

Unfortunately I was drinking a cup of coffee when........
Justin Hodges just said players don't play with the broncos for money it's an honour and a privilege to play for them.
The coffee went everywhere.
Serves me right for watching a show about queenslanders !!!

Did anyone remind Hodges about the fact he left the broncos to sign with the roosters for a couple of years? Won a premiership in 2002 as well.

I'm sure he didn't go for the money. Must've thought it was an honour and privilege to play for the roosters too. :wasntme:

A points system is really the only really fair way for this to work.

Oh sure, the top 3-4 clubs will still be able to buy and pay the likes of the Lockyer's etc, but they could only afford 1 of said players.

The NRL will never be able to can the TPA's, the players union would go on strike if they did.

So let the Drizzle pay Scam whatever they want, but as the games best player he attracts the most points.

Manly were NEVER going to get Matt Gillett, didn't matter how much we offered him BUT under a points system the Donkeys may have had no choice but to unload him.

It's just a business today, for the clubs AND the players, only the fans buy into the " staying because I'm loyal " deal.

Kind of agree Mark - money talks and lets face it - end of the day its business, where as supporters we take it personally.

The old days there was loyalty...but then again it was only a pie and coke extra they were missing out on, not a difference of $350,000 a season.
I do feel however, there is loyalty still out there - I have good mail Beaver was offered a stack extra from Eels and a recently retired player offered a pile extra to go to Dragons....but remained Eagles.

This is rare, so your probably 95% correct - loyalty is a thing of the past - I guess we don't get paid to change our support to other teams - then things could become very interesting, maybe a few hypocrites amongst us....depending on the price. :call: - :wait: - :happy: - :nod:

Kind of agree Mark - money talks and lets face it - end of the day its business, where as supporters we take it personally.

The old days there was loyalty...but then again it was only a pie and coke extra they were missing out on, not a difference of $350,000 a season.
I do feel however, there is loyalty still out there - I have good mail Beaver was offered a stack extra from Eels and a recently retired player offered a pile extra to go to Dragons....but remained Eagles.

This is rare, so your probably 95% correct - loyalty is a thing of the past - I guess we don't get paid to change our support to other teams - then things could become very interesting, maybe a few hypocrites amongst us....depending on the price. :call: - :wait: - :happy: - :nod:

There will be some, for example I can see the Turbo's remaining one club players, but I just think the average young guy says today " if I'm really lucky I'll get 10 really good years , and maybe even less, so if a club offers me $200k a year more for 3 years then seeya".

And you can't blame them.

Would you leave your current employer and go elsewhere for that amount ????

Of course you would!!!

Don't despair. We have Blacktown!

What's his reason?
He wants to win a premiership? No, that's not going to fly.
How about: to be close to his family...? Again, not logical.
To be coached by GOD? Perhaps a few years ago, but GOD is now a mere mortal in his senior years.
To be seen on TV every Friday night. Hummn, now that one might just work.
Because he's always thought of himself as a Thoroughbred? Yes. I think that's nailed it.

Neeeeiiiigh! It can't be that!

Nothing wrong with TPAs as long as they are not conditional on playing at a particular club.

If thats the case, TPAs shouldn't come into calculations at all when negotiating a contract eg Paul Gallen gets $X from Triple M whether he was at the Sharks or Dragons or Manly.

Interesting to see what happened to all DCEs TPAs when he backflipped. If they were local businesses then you can understand why it would make a difference where some players play, but every club has access to locsl businesses. For big companies it shouldn't matter what jersey the player wears on the weekend.

Nothing wrong with TPAs as long as they are not conditional on playing at a particular club.

If thats the case, TPAs shouldn't come into calculations at all when negotiating a contract eg Paul Gallen gets $X from Triple M whether he was at the Sharks or Dragons or Manly.

Interesting to see what happened to all DCEs TPAs when he backflipped. If they were local businesses then you can understand why it would make a difference where some players play, but every club has access to locsl businesses. For big companies it shouldn't matter what jersey the player wears on the weekend.

Of course it matters.

How many big companies would have been happy to have Sharks or Parra guys promoting their product during their recent crisis.
How many big companies would have wanted DCE after his backflip and the way an entire State lost their sht over it.

It works the other way too. The player and or club don't want to be associated with dodgy companies. Can you imagine being sponsored by United Airways atm. Coco Joy ended in a bad way....but that was a blessing in disguise.

Why do you think that every time something comes up like a player draft or a player point system, someone from the Donkeys, usually Bennett, comes out in the media with "it'll never work"?

Its because they don't want any change to a system that so obviously benefits them.

Why do you think that every time something comes up like a player draft or a player point system, someone from the Donkeys, usually Bennett, comes out in the media with "it'll never work"?

Its because they don't want any change to a system that so obviously benefits them.
That's why when we get a win up there (and we've had few!) it tastes so much sweeter. You're not only beating the opposition, you're beating their TPA system.

It works the other way too. The player and or club don't want to be associated with dodgy companies. Can you imagine being sponsored by United Airways atm. Coco Joy ended in a bad way....but that was a blessing in disguise.

Lolwat?
If United Airways want to cough up $ to sponsor us, I'm all for it.

****, bring on James Hardie during the 80's and 90's for all I care...

No club will knock back $, no matter how "Dodgy" the sponsor is.

Lolwat?
If United Airways want to cough up $ to sponsor us, I'm all for it.

****, bring on James Hardie during the 80's and 90's for all I care...

No club will knock back $, no matter how "Dodgy" the sponsor is.

Of course we could always make a deal with Tirith Khemlani. He made a great offer for financial support to Rex Connors team back in the early 70s.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8