How many games can we win to avoid the spoon in 2018?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

How many games can we win to avoid the spoon?

• Total voters
It's a real coin toss how we'll fare over the next few weeks. Hopefully with zero pressure on us we throw the ball around a bit and have some fun minus the dud negative structures we've so unsuccessfully gravitated to. Grit in defence and a bit of razzle dazzle with the pill fellas.

I believe in what was both Manly and Parras first year it came down to Manly v parra in the last round to see which of the new clubs would get the spoon. You know the answer.

Seems that's not the story looking at https://afltables.com/rl/seas/1947.html

In 1947 there were 10 teams & 18 rounds.

Manly v Eels at Brookie was in Rd 8. Manly won its first ever game with a 15 (5 tries) to 7 win.
Real Blitz by Johnny Bliss.http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-page16133864
When Manly Warringah beat Parramatta 15 to 7 yesterday at Brookvale Oval they escaped the unsought honor for the first round of holders of the 'Wooden Spoon.' The boys of the waterside put up a grand game on a playing field hardly suited for first grade football. Ray Stehr's influence was very noticeable. Manly showed more devil.

Manly beat Canterbury 24-23 in Rd 9 and then beat Newtown 33-0 at Brookie in Rd 11 with Bliss getting three tries.
Newtown Shock; Manly Blitz http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article168784203
The boys from Manly-Warringah outplayed and outclassed 'Bumper' Farrell's Bluebags yesterday at Brookvale Oval and had an armchair ride to win an exciting game 33 to 0. It was exciting for the local fans, who were exuberant and cheered wildly throughout. Farrell's men failed to raise a gallop at any stage. The locals threw the leather about and worked all the known moves in real copy-book fashion.

After Rd 13 the Sea Eagles were on 6 points and the last-placed Eels.were on 2 points. Parra then beat Easts in Rd 14.

In Rd 16 the Eels beat Manly 11-6 at Cumberland. That left both teams on 6 points with 2 rounds to go.
Parramatta Spurt to Beat Manly http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article168785125

In Rd 17 Manly beat Easts at the Sports Ground by 23-12. Manly Leagues Backs Better http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article168784507

In the Rd 18 final round a Manly loss and Eels win would have left both teams as joint wooden spooners.

Manly got done by Canterbury 30-17 at Brookie, but at the same time Wests flogged the Eels 33-10 at Pratten Park. So the Eels got the spoon & Many never has.

Last edited:
Crazy thing is we are only two wins above last place, but two wins below 9th place. Manly could easily finish 9th, but be well behind 8th and a position in the finals. I think the 8 there already will be the finalists, but it will be deceptive of how our season has been if we sneak into 9th.

Just read 1948 - wow! Manly & Norths played each other at Brookie in a final round battle for the spoon!

Going into the last round Manly were last on 7 points, Norths were second last on 8 points & Eels were on 9 points. The Eels won their game.

Goal kicking proved the difference for Manly!
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article169372854
Wooden Spooners Fight To Death
Manly beat Norths yesterday at Brookvale 13-12. For the winners, M. Gilmer kicked five goals from six attempts. The game resolved itself into a fight for the wooden spoon.
The standard of play was far from the best. Manly's best were: R. Beamont, R. O'Connell, R. McDonnell and M. Gilmer (backs), L. Johnson, W. Abbott and K. Kirkwood in the vanguard.
Manly, 13 (J. Walsh try. M. Gilmer 5 goals) beat North Sydney, 12 (J. Sullivan, P. Milgate tries. A. Harley 3 goals).

Just three years later Manly were in their first grand final (1951).

Season 1953 was another final round escape too! Manly were equal last with Wests going into the final round. Manly faced Canterbury at Brookie, with the visitors looking to get the win and spot in the semis. But Manly won 16-10, while Wests lost 19-9 to St George.

Never knew how close in 1948 and 1953 were to Manly getting the spoon!

Manly weren't really in spoon territory ever again, though 1965 and 2003 were getting close to it.

Last edited:
I voted two wins, but didn’t expect to beat the Panthers.

I think we will win 2 more , Bulldogs and take your pick for the upset!!

Any more than that will be a real bonus.

Rd 17 now gone. We're still only 2 wins above last place as of last night plus the byes added. At least there are now 3 teams below us.

13 Sea Eagles 12
14 Cowboys 10
15 Bulldogs 10
16 Eels 8

I lost count how many times we were in last place or equal last place in 2004. We were definitely last after Rd 17 all on our own. Ended up 13th out of 15. https://afltables.com/rl/seas/2004.html The second last game of that season Manly led Dragoons 34-10 at Kogarah & we lost.

2003 Manly finished second last but Souths were so hopeless we were never a wooden spoon chance.

1999 Manly were equal last after Rd 17 but got up to 13th out of 17 by the end. Terry Hill jagged that 26-all draw with canary Broncos in the last Brookie game for Manly before the Beagles.

1989 Manly were one win above last place at end of Rd 10. Finished 12th of 16 teams.

Before that you have to go to back mid 1960s to find Manly near the bottom again.

5 times last in 2004, rounds 4, 6-8 and 17. 13 times last or equal last rounds 4-9, rounds 14-20

Two wins and a draw up. Their for and against is far poorer than ours. We could lose two but a draw as well would drop us under them....just being my pedantic self
The hash tag is a goal, not what we have.
Cheers

Robbed again. Last night win would have just about put Manly out of spoon contention with Eels. Dogs & Cows all behind us. Thanks NRL.

Robbed again. Last night win would have just about put Manly out of spoon contention with Eels. Dogs & Cows all behind us. Thanks NRL.

Don’t worry playing like we did last night will see us win a few more games, and as for the Eels I’m not sure they will.

I’m still confident of two more wins and maybe even a surprise somewhere!!

Manly need a win soon or we're firmly in spoon mix.

13 Sea Eagles -57 12
14 Bulldogs -87 10
15 Cowboys -88 10
16 Eels -134 10

Cows got done so they stay on 10. A win over Rorters will be massive for Manly today. Chance to go 4 points ahead of the other 3 teams.

Cows got done so they stay on 10. A win over Rorters will be massive for Manly today. Chance to go 4 points ahead of the other 3 teams.
I hope so feathered friend . If the tigers can beat the number one team in the comp there is a good chance that we may beat the number 5 team .
No spoon for the Sea eagles !!!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4