How did you become a Manly supporter?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
When I was 5, the neighbours were talking about "last nights" game which was a 1966 pre-season Canterbury game at Belmore. I was fixated with the programme they brought home and looking at the newspaper with headlines and photos of the night games. The first game I went to was Manly v Canterbury at Belmore and it started from there when I had to choose a team to support. Still remember watching the 1967 GF on TV, the 1968 GF and the 1969 final on the ABC. 1971 started going to the games myself, early highlights, the 1972 major semi against Easts and the 1973 GF.

It was 45 years ago and I was 7 growing up in Newcastle where everyone was either a Dragons or Eels supporter. My brother had footy cards and no one wanted the Manly cards so I decided they would be my team. That year they one the premiership Best decision ever. Go Manly

I was born in Canterbury hospital. So when I was tiny I followed my mum and liked what were then the Berries. Then Souths for a little while and as an 8 year old I watched the 72 Grand Final. Hooked since. Fist game I saw was Manly vs Easts in 75 at the SCG. First Brookie game was 78 vs the Bulldogs on a very wet day. I loved Bozo but was heartbroken when he left for Easts. My hero became Wombat, but I also adored Gibbsy. I also remember the final series in 78 with all the fans in the Sheridan Stand at the SCG. I remember Lyall Roberts leading us all in the Manly chants with his megaphone. Great times, whenever I hear Summer Lovin' from the Grease soundtrack, I always remember the 78 finals series and smile.
Yes that grease album.
Grease is the word reminds me of the same. As does fabulous dancer by wha koo.
And the smell of paint.
Our place was like the f*cking harbour bridge, dad was always painting something and that finals series happened to be my room.
Aah makes me want to open a can of dulux right now!!

Born in Kandos (1962) and family moved to Balgowlah in 65, played juniors at Lane Cove and hung out with mates from Hardboard at brookie so just inevitable i'd become manly supporter..
Met Bob Fulton and Ray Brannigan sitting with their families, on the hill at cumberland oval (Manly V parra)during a reserve grade game.
Even married a Manly supporter, Been thru the ups and downs, now living Brisbane and surprised how many Manly supporters are up here. I remember going to a Manly v Titans game and it was like a Manly home game , more Manly supporter than Titans supporters.Even stayed in the same hotel as the players and met few of them in the lifts...MANLY FOREVER......

It was 1987 on a sunday afternoon (i was only 7 yrs old) dad was bugging me to get outside and mowe the lawn i switch the tele on and the might sea eagles were playing so i told him i cant mowe the lawn because my team were playing hahaha thats it for me they got me out of yard duties and i become an eagle for life, i still have the big league 87 grand final edition with fatty and the boys holding up the Winfield cup. Those were the days.

Lived in North Turramurra as a kid, and when I was 6 years old (1966), a family friend, who had 3 older sons, took me to Brookvale Oval. Took forever, bus to the station, then a train, then another bus to Brookie, but I was hooked from day one. Young blonde crew cutted guy playing his first year by the name of Bobby Fulton, was our friends hero. She told me that I looked just him, and 51 years later I'm still a huge supporter. Attended most home games from '66 to around '86, and have some fantastic memories of the Manly boys and Brookie. None better than meeting my future wife at the ground in 1979, during a violent Silvertails v Fibros game. We have been happily married for 33 years this year ............... !

Born in Manly hospital .
Went to school at Brookvale primary school , mum was a teacher there too. I remember having our school athletics carnival at Brooky every year - the track was painted down the grandstand side , even had a long jump pit .
My dads sisters family were heavily involved wth the North Sydney bears - when I was around 7 they used to make me wash my feet in a bucket before I could walk inside their house as I was a manly fan ., ha ha true story . To make matters worse my cousin was their ball boy and got paid $10 a week to do the absolute dream job . I must admit I was jealous much

I was born and bred in a little town called Narromine. Lived around the corner of and went to school with David Gillespie. When I was about 7 I think, I went and stayed with my Aunty in Botany. She was a mad Souths supporter. She took me to a Souths/Manly game can't remember if it was Brooke or Redfern. Anyway Manly won that day and I remember running on the ground after the game and patted Freddy Jones on the back. He turned around and said to me did I enjoy the game. Looked up at him and smiled and nodded and said to me good on ya young fella. 47 years later I'm still supporting them.

I was born and bred in a little town called Narromine. Lived around the corner of and went to school with David Gillespie. When I was about 7 I think, I went and stayed with my Aunty in Botany. She was a mad Souths supporter. She took me to a Souths/Manly game can't remember if it was Brooke or Redfern. Anyway Manly won that day and I remember running on the ground after the game and patted Freddy Jones on the back. He turned around and said to me did I enjoy the game. Looked up at him and smiled and nodded and said to me good on ya young fella. 47 years later I'm still supporting them.
It's stories like that that makes me glad I put this thread up.
There's been some good ones.

My Mum's family were all Saints fans. My Dad's family all Parramatta. Fortunately I moved to the bush when I was 6 (Grafton) before I could be corrupted by tainted families. In the Bush I recall there were mostly Saints and Easts fans. Footy was keenly followed in the country with the weekend ABC grainy telecasts. It was 1973 (9 years old) when we hammered Penrith 70-7 that saw me ignore all other influencers and been a fanatical Manly fan ever since. The timing was also perfect as we entered a golden age and I relied on the Big League publication to keep me up to date. Had a ton of paper clippings from the '78 finals but sadly lost them when Dad took us back to the big smoke.

Best moment was watching Rowdy score a length of the field try against the Dogs at Brookie and coming from 18-0 down against Easts to win sitting with an anti-Manly fan and a business visitor from Japan in the mid 90's.

Last edited:
Born in Manly hospital .
Went to school at Brookvale primary school , mum was a teacher there too. I remember having our school athletics carnival at Brooky every year - the track was painted down the grandstand side , even had a long jump pit .
My dads sisters family were heavily involved wth the North Sydney bears - when I was around 7 they used to make me wash my feet in a bucket before I could walk inside their house as I was a manly fan ., ha ha true story . To make matters worse my cousin was their ball boy and got paid $10 a week to do the absolute dream job . I must admit I was jealous much

He would have been busy running the ball out every 5 mins for a kick off! Probably earned the $10.

He would have been busy running the ball out every 5 mins for a kick off! Probably earned the $10.

Ha ha .
Yeah we are talking very early 80,s but they always seemed to beat us once a year ! Back then the ball boy brought on the sand as well - those were the days .. He used to travel to all away games on the team bus and my Aunty used to wash all the jerseys at her place so when we played back yard crickey those bloody jerseys were 6 and out .
This has obviously got me reminiscing... what happened to the ball boys from opposing teams walking the sideline with the best seats in the house ? Also I'm thinking the jerseys don't get washed and hung in a suburban back yard anymore .

My father-in-law was a mad lifelong Manly supporter who had a seat at Brooky with some of his friends. He invited me one day and I've never looked back, that was over 30 years ago.

Was down at Wollongong caravan park in 1972 visiting when i lived at Auburn and back then all the shop owners were decorating there shops in Maroon and white and red white and blue preparing for the 72 grand final.I was 10 years old and the atmosphere was electric as there was all these colors through the streets,That was big for me back then.The big sea eagle looked more menacing than a f.....ng chicken.And so i was born again.

Family is from Williamstown in Melbourne. Right on Port Phillip Bay, the local VFA side was known as the Seagulls, but played (and still do) in blue and gold. Thankfully the first game my dad saw, Manly were wearing the jersey that had the big white bird on it, so that's who he went for. Growing up in the Parramatta area, it could have been much worse.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8