How did you become a Manly supporter?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Became a life long Manly supporter in the late sixties as a recently turned teenager. As a junior footy player I just seemed to like the sea eagles style of play and quite a few of their players. { Plus they had a couple of Queensland internationals in the team then too] Also in some type of reverse tradition my dear late father started his life long sea eagles support just after i started my interest in them . Never once had any regret with my decision and can remember every season like it was yesterday.

My parents grew up on the beaches but moved to the northern suburbs. So growing up I was a Norths fan, mainly because my friends were. But my dad would give me crap every time Manly thrashed the Bears, which was pretty much every time they played. So slowly I started to wish I was on the winning side. What cemented it for me was watching the 96 GF, after that there was no going back to the Bears.

But then the Super League war happened, and the Northern Eagles debacle. So for a few years there I wasn't following it too closely. It wasn't until 2004/5 that I really took it up again. Then in 2008 I went to every game that I could, and was lucky enough to be in the stands the day we thumped the Storm 40-0 :D

Grew up in country NSW.
When a youngen in 1970 I was given some Footy cards, they were all just headshots of the Brylcreem boys, Les Johns, Billy Smith, etc.
There was one action shot of Bob Fulton catching a ball, that became my favourite card & team.
Top Saturday League was on the ABC TV. Alan Marks, John O'Reilly & Kevin Ryan. I'd watch the lads go round.

Born in the Shire - was raised on soccer till 11yo.
The team everyone hated was Manly due to losing the GF in 78'.
I always liked being the rebel and liked watching Manly play...then they had just got Boyd, Dorahy and Brown from Wests and I started really enjoying my footy and would listen to Manly every weekend....even with a static old radio I had to move around to take in the game!!
Still a mad Liverpool supporter and played physical style soccer game as a youngster, I soon realised my game was footy and Manly was my team.....have not missed a game since 1980....Foxtel, TV or radio....used to listen to the main game just to get the flash scores....
By 13yo, had jerseys, shorts, socks, flags and every bday, my present was to watch the Seaeagles regardless of it being at Brookie, Leichardt . Redfern....wherever.
Nothing has changed today - its Manly - Daylight - then a heap of teams I hate...

first went to brooky in 1957 with the mate across the road in Balgowlah Heights,fell in love with the sea eagles jersey,found the passion as an seven year old and never lost it,i should be a bears boy as my great uncles played for them but the maroon and white got me:h:

Love hearing the stories - keep them coming.

For me - it is clear as day. I moved to Australia in 1991 (from Ireland) and my folks had no idea about Rugby League (and still don't!). I went to School in year 5 @ St Augustines in 1993, and the very first game I went to was standing on the hill (which is now the arko stand) for Round 3 of 1994 season, Manly V Western Suburbs Magpies (which we won 66-8)

From that day, I was hooked. It was my local team, we killed the westies, and I was an eagle for life :)

The old man bleeds maroon and white.

From the time we could understand my old man would remind us that we are manly supporters.

I started getting right into it during the 90s dominance era as I was old enough to properly understand the game.

Loved the club ever since.

Didnt start watching League until I was about 15, which co-incided with the appearance of Bob Fulton in Manly colours. Brookie was true park football in those days and I remember with joy Bob Batty, Les Hannigan, Nick and Fred Yakich, Alec Tennant, Norm Pounder, Dennis Ward, Mick Bryant, Frank Stanton, Ian Martin, Billy Bradstreet, Bill Hamilton, Ken Day, Mick Veivers, Fred Jones and Pogo Morgan to name a few. They were great days sitting on the north eastern hill. Used to also love Match of the Day meetings when Manly played Saints, Balmain, Souths etc at SCG. The late 60s were my favourite period.

I was born in Canterbury hospital. So when I was tiny I followed my mum and liked what were then the Berries. Then Souths for a little while and as an 8 year old I watched the 72 Grand Final. Hooked since. Fist game I saw was Manly vs Easts in 75 at the SCG. First Brookie game was 78 vs the Bulldogs on a very wet day. I loved Bozo but was heartbroken when he left for Easts. My hero became Wombat, but I also adored Gibbsy. I also remember the final series in 78 with all the fans in the Sheridan Stand at the SCG. I remember Lyall Roberts leading us all in the Manly chants with his megaphone. Great times, whenever I hear Summer Lovin' from the Grease soundtrack, I always remember the 78 finals series and smile.

A fait accompli for me really.

My family has lived in Manly since before RL kicked off in 1908. My grand-father played first grade Manly rugby at lock forward for many years around the time Rex Mosspp played. Rex convinced my grand-father to try out with the Sea Eagles in the early days but he ended up deciding to stick to the rah-rahs.

My great uncle was neighbours with the Randall's and the story goes that he convinced young Terry to forget about soccer and play league instead. What a waste that could've been.

It's in the blood And winning all those premierships in the 70s when I was growing up sure helped too.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8