Hopoate MK2 signed

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DUFFMAN

Bencher
John hopoate son William has signed a 3 year $300,000 deal with Manly at the age of 15. He is expected to be part of the 2009 NRL squad. There was 6 NRL clubs chasing him after playing for the NSW under 16's last month.

The signing on news gets better. Good young players on the books can only be good for us. It means that some of the aging stars may end up going. Maybe this is why Beaver is having his benefit dinner.

Part of the NRL squad at 16 ??? I believe that when I see it.

I also hope he has got more controlled synaptic activity then his dad.

100k a year for a 16 year old is big money, he won't be physically ready until at least the 2010 season. Look at Folau for an example, he debuted at 17 and he is arguably the biggest freak in recent times in terms of physical ability...

WILLIAM Hopoate still has another year to run at Cromer High School - but already he earns more than his teachers.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Hopoate has created NRL history after finally signing a $300,000 deal with the same Manly club where his famous father starred.

The staggering contract, over three years, is the largest ever offered to a schoolboy and ends a furious bidding war that had six clubs scrapping for the boom fullback's signature.

"And," manager Tyran Smith says, "it's nothing compared to what this boy will eventually earn."

Still only 15, Hopoate boasts the build of Storm superstar Israel Folau and has represented Australian Schoolboys since 2007.

The kid with the famous surname is also tipped to be included in the Sea Eagles' 2009 NRL squad - despite HSC studies preventing him from training full-time.

"I've always supported Manly because of dad so now to be playing at the club, yeah it's all good," Hoppa Jr said last night.

"But dad also wants me to stay at school and graduate next year. He wants me to make sure I have something to fall back on in case I never make it in league."

Now pursuing a heavyweight boxing career, Hopoate Sr is constantly stressing the importance of discipline and sacrifice to his eldest of eight children.

The former NRL bad boy also insists there's "no way" his boy will ever be involved in the same controversies, negative headlines or lengthy stints on the sideline through suspension.

"Because William is nothing like me," the 1995 Kangaroo says. "He's a lot better player and doesn't have the same hot head. I know there's going to be some comparisons. Pressure. But my time is finished . . . this is all about William."

The unique deal, signed off yesterday, represents the first major strike for Sportsplayer Management - a fledgling company overseen by Hopoate Sr and fellow NRL retiree Tyran Smith.

Boasting a plush high-rise office in Sydney's CBD, the seasoned duo aim to create a bold new voice for promising Polynesian and Aboriginal players.

"Everyone has been talking about fronting for the Islander and Aboriginal boys - but right now no one is walking the walk," Smith says.

"So that's what we're about, giving these players the advice, support and financial knowledge that we never received ourselves.

"Because plenty of guys I played with left the game with nothing. They were dudded, pushed into bad investments . . . how does anyone let this happen?

"So we want to change that. If players come to us with the right tools and attitude, we're going to make sure they get all the results they deserve."

And it's started with Hopoate. The only kid on the Northern Beaches who can now spot his teachers a loan.

http://silvertails.net/silvertails-forums/index.php?action=post;topic=177676.0;num_replies=5

He definitely has some growing to do yet.

Glad to see the Hoppa name live on at Manly.

Don't mind the price tag, obviously he is highly rated by a lot of people and we would have only paid what was necessary to keep him, the Roosters would have been all over him.

The only annoying thing about this is that everyone's going to whine on about the salary cap and this and that.  i think i might shut myself out of the news for a while
:-X

a fullback????

what does that say for Stewart?

eggson link said:
The only annoying thing about this is that everyone's going to whine on about the salary cap and this and that.  i think i might shut myself out of the news for a while

They can't, if he isn't in the NRL squad they can pay him whatever the **** they want, he won't be included in the top 25 squad

Good stuff.

I'm loving the good young juniors we are signing. I hope Beaver stays on for another year to teach these young blokes about loyalty

Dan, it reads up the top that he will be part of the NRL squad in 2009.

I doubt he'll play. He'll spend a few years training with the big boys and playing in the toyota cup.

0,5001,6100169,00.jpg

0,5001,6100168,00.jpg

Nutzcraw link said:

I doubt he'll play. He'll spend a few years training with the big boys and playing in the toyota cup.

It says it is "Rumoured"

I would say with almost 100% certainty that at least 1 year will be spent in NSW cup, or not in the NRL squad, I bet you that, that year his salary is $200,000 so the next 2 years are $50,000 :)

Dan link said:
[quote author=Nutzcraw link=topic=177676.msg187271#msg187271 date=1213828279]

It says it is "Rumoured"

I would say with almost 100% certainty that at least 1 year will be spent in NSW cup, or not in the NRL squad, I bet you that, that year his salary is $200,000 so the next 2 years are $50,000 :)

[/quote]

That seems more probably.

And although he plays fullback im quit sure due to his young age we can breed him easily into other positions, eg Inglis, Falou ect.

Dan link said:
[quote author=eggson link=topic=177676.msg187261#msg187261 date=1213826976]

They can't, if he isn't in the NRL squad they can pay him whatever the F**k they want, he won't be included in the top 25 squad
[/quote]

Ooh good call there... still, the braindead fans of other teams won't know that.  I bet they'll still accuse us of not developing our own juniors now too. 

As far as I was aware there was still salary limitations on the lower tier comp as well??

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6