Hopoate MK2 signed

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
willstyles link said:
Maybe. Just pisses me off basically what Hoppa Snr is telling him.

Sure footy is a business, we all understand that, but Manly bent over f*cking backwards for Hoppa several times near the end of the career and he simply took advantage of us and f*cked us over. Badly. Bit rich of him to say that sport is all business and no loyalty after how much charity we gave Hoppa at the arse end of his career (poor choice of words...perhaps, but I'm goin to leave it like that).
It is one of the realities of professional sport that it is a business and has to pay. For players now this is their fulltime career up until their 30s. Sport has to pay.

The old ideas of sportsmanship, loyalty and fair play went out a long time ago. The Packer cricket revolution, the professionalism of Rugby, Super League etc all played a role in this. It is not extraordinary for a player to take up the best offer.

How many people here would say No to a new job, doing the same thing (that they loved) and getting paid a whole lot more to do it?  Sad development but you can't knock someone for doing it, especially when clubs themselves are happy to offload signed players that they don't want anymore.

I guess my point is just that Manly afforded Hoppa Snr more loyalty than perhaps he deserved. And for him to turn around and say "don't worry about Manly, just chase the cash" to his 15 year old son, who has been in our system for quite a few years and who gave his old man more than he deserved for over a decade...I dunno, I find it a bit insulting personally. Makes Manly look pretty stupid for giving him those third, fourth and fifth chances at the end of his career when noone else in the comp would touch him.

Oh, and Tyron Smith is actually a pretty cluey fella. Ignore the fact that he played for like 15 clubs (he too was one who simply chased the money and never really bothered settling in at a club), because he is pretty sharp.

Hoppa's son is so far not leading the same life as his dad. 

At least Will is still at school and hasn't been expelled like his dad was at manly high.  Just not sure what sort of role model his dad is going to be though. 

Apparantly the younger son is a fair footballer too so we might end up with a couple of Hoppa's in the backline. 

willstyles link said:
I guess my point is just that Manly afforded Hoppa Snr more loyalty than perhaps he deserved. And for him to turn around and say \"don't worry about Manly, just chase the cash\" to his 15 year old son, who has been in our system for quite a few years and who gave his old man more than he deserved for over a decade...I dunno, I find it a bit insulting personally. Makes Manly look pretty stupid for giving him those third, fourth and fifth chances at the end of his career when noone else in the comp would touch him.

Oh, and Tyron Smith is actually a pretty cluey fella. Ignore the fact that he played for like 15 clubs (he too was one who simply chased the money and never really bothered settling in at a club), because he is pretty sharp.

i agree Joe - good posts!

The only thing that i will say is that WIlliam is *obviously* a different person to Hoppa and shouldn't be treated/judged on what he does by the previous/current actions of his dad.

John isn't on eof the good guys, and i seriously think Manly erred at the time giving this clown so many opportunities.

"Oh, and Tyron Smith is actually a pretty cluey fella. Ignore the fact that he played for like 15 clubs (he too was one who simply chased the money and never really bothered settling in at a club), because he is pretty sharp."

Yeah I work with half his family and I'm yet to meet a dumb one.

I hope William turns out ok because we've got a pretty good looking team going foward.

willstyles link said:

Fair enough then, must admit I can't ever remember him seeing him interviewed as he had a pretty low media profile. Good luck to him then, I think he is on a good thing if he can pull it off, it's a huge market. I guess that means Hoppa is the brawn.

From memory wasn't the Peach trying to set up a management company to represent the Koori kids ?

I would also like to see Manly sign up Edwards, Cherry-Evans and Foran from the Toyota cup team to long term contracts as well.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6