Hooker for 2021

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Written him off for many good reasons , the main one being he’s not first grade material.

No dramas with toilers , every side needs them but they have to be a standard.

His standard is ****house
Totally agree.. the guys best stints were when he came off the bench as the back up hooker. He did well playing short minutes. When he had to start in any role he was terrible. The guy isnt upto muster and i cant wait to see who we buy with the money we are wasting on him. Ps why hasn't the club found an actual hooker yet?? We should of kept Levi on minimum wage for another year while Mob Deep gangster Fainu gets sorted out. Levi with a full pre season with foran dce and turbo would of been much better for him. Anyways ships sailed and now we have the 9th and custard kid both halves

I remember when Gift was considered a reserve grader and was only signed so that we could get his younger brother to sign. Spent a couple of years as a reserve before cementing a spot in the top grade. Not saying Croker will turn out the same and think that Cust will get first go but happy to see how things pan out with Foran there to guide Cust, Croker and Schuster.
Gift was approx a year older than Croker is now when he debut for Australia and was Dally M second rower of the year.

Drawing a long bow in that comparison IMO

I remember when Gift was considered a reserve grader and was only signed so that we could get his younger brother to sign. Spent a couple of years as a reserve before cementing a spot in the top grade. Not saying Croker will turn out the same and think that Cust will get first go but happy to see how things pan out with Foran there to guide Cust, Croker and Schuster.
Not when he was 24 though.

Totally agree.. the guys best stints were when he came off the bench as the back up hooker. He did well playing short minutes. When he had to start in any role he was terrible. The guy isnt upto muster and i cant wait to see who we buy with the money we are wasting on him. Ps why hasn't the club found an actual hooker yet?? We should of kept Levi on minimum wage for another year while Mob Deep gangster Fainu gets sorted out. Levi with a full pre season with foran dce and turbo would of been much better for him. Anyways ships sailed and now we have the 9th and custard kid both halves
If by some miracle Fainu is available for us in 2021, most of us would not consider Croker as even being our backup hooker. No question in my mind that role falls to Cust as bench utility/backup hooker. He (Croker) isn't a first grade standard nine and never will be. I hope I am wrong, and would like to see him do well. Nothing he has done so far gives me much confidence in him stepping up in 2021. #notafirstgrader

Written him off for many good reasons , the main one being he’s not first grade material.

No dramas with toilers , every side needs them but they have to be a standard.

His standard is ****house
Agree Mark, bottom line look at 9s for Panthers, storm, souths and people are suggesting croker kidding
If we are to compete then Cust is are only hope at present.
Croker come on he not up to it

I must have been watching two different players then. You could see Monnas ability even at Canberra, I see none with Lachlan that you would call first grade quality. I just don’t, but each to their own. Time will tell how he fares and whether he continues as he has or whether he will suddenly emerge as a good first grader. He is 24 now, so time is a wasting.

There have been a couple of exceptions like Cook and Davey; however, Davey hasn’t achieved anything yet but I have greater hopes for him.
At the same age Monaghan had played 2 more games than Croker. Agreed this is his final chance, I don't mind Croker as a hooker, just don't ever play him in the halves. I see a lot of similarities between the 2 actually, and both a lot like Peter Wallace when he moved to hooker. I think Croker could surprise a few this year. He wont ever be a superstar but he could be a decent Manly hooker

Gift was approx a year older than Croker is now when he debut for Australia and was Dally M second rower of the year.

Drawing a long bow in that comparison IMO
TNI was playing for the Roos a lot earlier than the Gift.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210120-185458.png
    Screenshot_20210120-185458.png
    92.6 KB · Views: 38
I agree that Crocker is not up to a desired and consistent standard for NRL in the halves however, he has Monna’s and Des who transformed to hookers and Ballin who was very sound.

There’s no questioning Croker’s defence, toughness or fitness, it’s just his lack of lateral vision to see opportunities that the best hookers have.

I’m an acquaintance of two former Wallaby Captains and both were genius players. We were at lunch one day in Melbourne with another group of ex Wallabies and some friends, about 16 of us, in a little Greek restaurant in Richmond,, upstairs and away from the glaring crowd.

One of the ex Wallabies asked both guys what made them so good cto the current players? What was the difference between them and the current Wallaby players who were now playing in their position?

Both answered the same thing, lateral vision. The ability to see what’s going on either side and spot opportunities. Cam Smith has that.

They said the play is now too one dimensional and structured so it does not allow or encourage players to play by instinct and that instinct is not guessing, it’s lateral vision.

they both claimed that you can’t teach it, you either have it or you don’t and then cited our own Cliffy, Bozo and Andrew Johns as examples, along with quite a few All Blacks, Maradonna and Pele as well.

Matty Ballin wasn't no Cliff Lyons. Matty hardly ever ran or probed around the ruck. No Magic Wand as Hands. What he did do was keep that ruck water tight, made a million tackles and provided crisp delivery.

Croker was always going to be Des's love child.

Croker isn't Fainu and why would we want him to be. If the plan sees Foran, DCE and Schuey all finding spots in the 13 we won't need a hooker over playing his hand. I give him hope of being a Ballin mark 2.

Even now I think he's a little more solid than he gets credit for on here. Happy to have kept him over Levi.

Most in a depleted Manly Team disappointed in 2020. Can be easy to make bad decisions in a badly performing side.

I'll judge him on 2021 after a full preseason at dummy half, combined with Forans voice and leadership which might go a long long way to fixing up a few on field matters.

Personally I think hooker is his spot, and DES will start with him with Cust and some magic later on the bench.

I agree that Crocker is not up to a desired and consistent standard for NRL in the halves however, he has Monna’s and Des who transformed to hookers and Ballin who was very sound.

There’s no questioning Croker’s defence, toughness or fitness, it’s just his lack of lateral vision to see opportunities that the best hookers have.

I’m an acquaintance of two former Wallaby Captains and both were genius players. We were at lunch one day in Melbourne with another group of ex Wallabies and some friends, about 16 of us, in a little Greek restaurant in Richmond,, upstairs and away from the glaring crowd.

One of the ex Wallabies asked both guys what made them so good cto the current players? What was the difference between them and the current Wallaby players who were now playing in their position?

Both answered the same thing, lateral vision. The ability to see what’s going on either side and spot opportunities. Cam Smith has that.

They said the play is now too one dimensional and structured so it does not allow or encourage players to play by instinct and that instinct is not guessing, it’s lateral vision.

they both claimed that you can’t teach it, you either have it or you don’t and then cited our own Cliffy, Bozo and Andrew Johns as examples, along with quite a few All Blacks, Maradonna and Pele as well.

Not asking you to name drop but the names of the Wallaby captains I'm thinking of are the likes of Nick Farr-Jones and George Gregan.

Fun fact about Gregan. In 1995 he was allegedly offered a $hitload more money by Super League to captain the inaugural Adelaide Rams squad than he would have gotten at the time playing union, even though the rah-rah set had just gone professional. He turned them down and as it turned out, he made the right choice didn't he. Went on to have a celebrated career as Wallaby captain while the Rams started a year later than planned in 1997 and were gone before the start of 1999.

Last edited:
At the same age Monaghan had played 2 more games than Croker. Agreed this is his final chance, I don't mind Croker as a hooker, just don't ever play him in the halves. I see a lot of similarities between the 2 actually, and both a lot like Peter Wallace when he moved to hooker. I think Croker could surprise a few this year. He wont ever be a superstar but he could be a decent Manly hooker
Peter Wallace showed way more skill and ability as a player than Crocker before changing to hooker. As for Monnas playing two more games, it’s more about the quality than quantity. If Crocker turns out as good as Monnas I’ll be gob-smacked.

Obviously you see him differently to myself. If I’m wrong about him I’ll be the first to put my hand up, I just don’t see it happening and can’t see him playing much NRL beyond his current contract.

Last edited:
First year playing as a dummy half under new rule changes and first year actually playing anything near a full season after shocking run with injuries(truthfully first year playing more than a handful of games).
Yeah he overplayed his hand too much,but with so many coaches around him who have extensive experience playing dummy half you would think that they would be smart enough to reign him in a bit and let the more creative players we will now have this year to do most of the thinking and directing.
Not saying he will kill it(or overly confident),but I would give him a shot this year to see if he has learnt and developed.

You can't teach vision. Unfortunately, from what I have seen of Croker he just doesn't have it. Nor does he have match awareness, confidence or a crisp passing game. Des might be able to polish him up a bit but unfortunately I still think there's a clear ceiling for him at this level.

I hope I'm wrong.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4