Hodkinson returns to Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Class of 96

Bencher
Whilst we’ve been improving this last two weeks, I get the feel that we will be stronger again with a DCE/Hodko halves combination and Kelly/Walks in the centers. Suli has impressed the hell out of me in the centers so far, so the question is wether you’d keep him on the wing with Wright on the bench or vice versa. Either way we are a better team in my opinion.

Gotta say I would have Suli at centre and Kelly on the wing.

qldeagle

Bencher
Welcome home Hodko, pleasure to have you back. Why did you ever leave? DCE needs his hand held and you're just the person to help him. Just warning you he's quite a narcissist so don't get caught up in all his b/sheet.

Midnight Rambler

'Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnly'
Mate, its going to be a loooong 5 years for you.

Remind me again.......how many premierships has future immortal Jonathan Thurston won at the Cowboys? Just becuase its obviously all on the star halfback to deliver premierships, and its so easy to do......
Beaver, I knew it was gonna be a long five years the day we re signed him. But for now, Cherry doesn’t need to win us a premiership. He needs to behave as our general. To delegate & orchestrate...he did at times last year. Admitting we need to sign a half to steady the ship, so Chez can just run the ball, to me is ludicrous. Thurston’s a great example of what we need cherry to do...play like a halfback.

wombatgc

KT 623
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Beaver, I knew it was gonna be a long five years the day we re signed him. But for now, Cherry doesn’t need to win us a premiership. He needs to behave as our general. To delegate & orchestrate...he did at times last year. Admitting we need to sign a half to steady the ship, so Chez can just run the ball, to me is ludicrous. Thurston’s a great example of what we need cherry to do...play like a halfback.
Thurston's probably not the best choice for an example atm.

Fluffy

Journey Man

Thurston couldn't do squat without a fullback and 5/8 to ball play with him.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
Thurston couldn't do squat without a fullback and 5/8 to ball play with him.

Exactly. He always played a lone hand at the Cows and they got nowhere until Morgan, Coote and Granville came along. With Qld and Australia it was easy as he always had Smith, Slater, Lockyer and later Cronk. But like Cherry here recently he found it nigh on impossible in club land trying to do it all himself.

Difference is that he has never copped the crap that Cherry does. Because of his salary, even some of our own fans think he should be leading us to a premiership every year, playing for Qld, playing for Australia and winning all the Dally M's.

Mitch

Bencher
I’m starting to think this is a good move. Even with him contracted next year as well, there’s no certainty that Croker will still be here and Hastings is obviously gone so we could be down two genuine halves.

Just because we have signed him to a deal for 2019 as well doesn’t mean we still won’t be looking at any half that comes into the market, but fingers crossed he does a good job for the remainder of the year and we don’t need to.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
We all know that Hodkinson has bad knees. And we all know that he is no world beater. But as a half he is exactly what this team (and DCE) needs. An old head with the ball skills, kicking game and organisational skills.

And lets face it, he is a major upgrade on what Croker gave while also allowing us to put Walker back in the centres where he is at his best.

Win win.

Sue

Bencher
You would think this bloke is 80 years old the way way people talk about him. He is in fact 29 and it’s only his 8th season in first grade. And this knee thing seems to almost have a life of its own. Sure he’s had his injuries but he was never a quick player anyway. Effects him a little in defence but you would think he could only play at grounds with disabled toilets the way his body is talked about.

Beautiful pass both sides, good kicking game and best field goal merchant around. Good pickup and can’t see why he couldn’t do a good job next year if our salary cap stops us from chasing the very best. Watch blokes like Walker and Thompson thrive with him and Cherry out there.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
Walker played his best game of the season at 6.
OK for sure the benchmark was set pretty low but still.

Yeah I'd say Walker arguably played his best ever first grade game of 5/8 on Saturday night. But if we have a chance to have him back in the centres where he is at his best then I'm all for it.

Walks was only ever a stop gap 5/8 at this point. He was only there because Barrett won't pick Hastings and to throw Tom Wright in there on debut would have been like suicide. He did a very good job the past two weeks, no doubt. But he's a centre and that's where he should play.

I have zero problems welcoming Hodkinson back to Manly. He's never going to be a Hall of Famer, let alone become a Rugby League Immortal. But he is a quality half despite his knees and lord knows we need it.

ricardo

Bencher
94DD6263-E6B9-4C43-8246-4E309ECBD7AD.jpeg

The most decent bloke in the NRL. We can find a spot for him.

chuckee

Formerly CJAeagle
I’m actually excited to have hodko back in the maroon and white. Pending his knees he could even be an upgrade on Blake Green. (Hell any player can cop injuries and look at Gutho and his knee injuries)

He will be a good foil for DCE, has more big game and big moment experience than a lot of players can dream of. He doesn’t need to be too fancy, all he has to do is organise and give us some good kicking options.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I’m actually excited to have hodko back in the maroon and white. Pending his knees he could even be an upgrade on Blake Green. (Hell any player can cop injuries and look at Gutho and his knee injuries)

He will be a good foil for DCE, has more big game and big moment experience than a lot of players can dream of. He doesn’t need to be too fancy, all he has to do is organise and give us some good kicking options.

No superstar but neither was Green!

Will go ok, and that’s all we need , plus can kick a goal!

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
View attachment 8379

The most decent bloke in the NRL. We can find a spot for him.
Thanks, you saved me having to find that pic.
Hodko is a short term fix for our halves but it's not all about what he can on the field.
It's been highlighted in other threads just how young our squad is, so to have another senior player to help set the tone of the place will be invaluable. Whether or not he holds down a first grade spot next year.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
11 6 5 -9 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 5 6 47 12
11 5 6 -88 12