Hodkinson returns to Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Holmsey

Bencher
Watching NRL 360, apparently the club is in talks to sign Hodkinson mid season. Hodkinson will be released by Cronulla but he will only leave if he can get more than a 1 year deal. Honestly this buy would be a smart one. Very cheap but everything we need and he has been playing really well when given an opportunity by Cronulla. While his running game is not very prominent at the moment he has a very good kicking game, he is an organiser, top teir goal kicker and he is a leader, on and off the field. He is also just a good bloke, something we need more of at this club. He would also allow Dalys game to go up another level, replicating 2017 and past years. Sign him up, 2 year deal.

Hmmm.. I’m not sure on this one. Don’t get me wrong if was a gap fill for this year I’d be all aboard. But with the restrictions of salary cap he would be our first grade half in 19 also yoU would think. He has previous injury woes and knowing our luck he will have another acl rupture and we will be up **** creek again

Watching NRL 360, apparently the club is in talks to sign Hodkinson mid season. Hodkinson will be released by Cronulla but he will only leave if he can get more than a 1 year deal. Honestly this buy would be a smart one. Very cheap but everything we need and he has been playing really well when given an opportunity by Cronulla. While his running game is not very prominent at the moment he has a very good kicking game, he is an organiser, top tier goal kicker and he is a leader, on and off the field. He is also just a good bloke, something we need more of at this club. He would also allow Daly's game to go up another level, replicating 2017 and past years. Sign him up, 2 year deal.
Thanks @Turbo1 for this info. If true and if the talks come to fruition, then I for one would be very happy to have Hodko back, for all the reasons you outline plus he's an ideal back-up for DCE. And yes he's a 'good bloke' too. Here's hoping...

Can’t we just do a Storm (ie Plodder) and take him for this season and leave him on their books. Then re-evaluate at the end of the year if we want to take him on for 2019.

Have Cronulla got him signed up for 2 years?

Mate, do you think other clubs would be as stupid as us and make a deal like that?

Sharks are under no cap pressure so have no need to make deals that don't benefit them.

Id sign him for two years. Its going to be a f**ked couple anyway so save some money, lets get this ship righted the smart way. He's a solid player and he'd give chez the space he needs.

Mate, do you think other clubs would be as stupid as us and make a deal like that?

Sharks are under no cap pressure so have no need to make deals that don't benefit them.

Not stupid at all. We got the Storm to foot part of his bill for a few months, and I don't think they got a game out of him. What was stupid was signing him for 3 years in the first place.

We were not under cap pressure at the time of releasing Myles for his Melbourne holiday, so that analogy makes no sense.

What I do find odd is that the Sharks only signed Hodgko a couple of months ago, he has gone well when he has made it on the park, so what motivation would they have to do a 'loaner'?

Not stupid at all. We got the Storm to foot part of his bill for a few months, and I don't think they got a game out of him. What was stupid was signing him for 3 years in the first place.

We were not under cap pressure at the time of releasing Myles for his Melbourne holiday, so that analogy makes no sense.

What I do find odd is that the Sharks only signed Hodgko a couple of months ago, he has gone well when he has made it on the park, so what motivation would they have to do a 'loaner'?

We were under no cap pressure last year?

Wow. News to me!

We were under no cap pressure last year?

Wow. News to me!

It's been repeatedly reported that we were and still are are under the cap. Breaches related to TPA's. Where the truth is, no-one seems to be 100% sure. As far as I knew, we didn't shop Myles. Melbourne obviously spoke to him and then he asked for a release. If the story is different, I didn't see the other version. With so much BS reporting going around, there is probably another 3 versions different to our two.

Hodkinson is a no for me.

I've almost given up on this year, who here seriously thinks we are going to challenge for the title ?? Can't see the point in using our last squad spot and last remnants of the salary cap to sign an old, immobile stop gap half just so we limp into 12th spot on the ladder. May as well see if Jeff Robson wants to come out of retirement

Wouldn't it be better to throw caution to the wind and give a junior a go by upgrading them. Or buy someone in that we can look to the future with (not necessarily a half either if need be). I'm prepared to cop Walker at 6 if it means we give T Wright, Funa, Anderson, Fainu or someone a run. Let's see if we can get something worthwhile out of the season. Suli gets a chance, let's try someone else.

It's been repeatedly reported that we were and still are are under the cap. Breaches related to TPA's. Where the truth is, no-one seems to be 100% sure. As far as I knew, we didn't shop Myles. Melbourne obviously spoke to him and then he asked for a release. If the story is different, I didn't see the other version. With so much BS reporting going around, there is probably another 3 versions different to our two.

Mate, with all due respect, if Melbourne and Myles approached Manly for the release, there is no way on Gods green Earth we would allow the contract to have him fall back under our cap in 2018.

What possible reason would Manly have to do that if they were in the position of power in that transaction?

Hastings is gone end of this year, sooner hopefully so there is a position Manly would like to fill/replace. Crocker is also off contract this year. Manly would still be thinking re-sign Crocker cheap and hope he develops into a genuine half I am thinking, so they still need another half option.

Option 1 - Go for a young promising half like Riley Jacks or Brock Lamb on the same coin as Hastings (around 300k). Still inexperienced, might still put extra pressure on DCE to do the organising

Option 2 - go for Hodgo on a minimum wage for the remainder of this year and next year as an experienced half to help guide the team and take pressure off DCE. No worse defender than green is. Would be cheap too around 150k

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4