• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
My understanding of the Storm is that they play with an emphasis on consistency over time and a system that relies on roles over individual talent. This means they train and play to perform as close to their team performance peak on a regular basis. This is reflected in their ongoing appearance near the top throughout regular seasons. However, it also means they have far less gears to move up through when needed. What you get through the regular season is pretty much the best of what you will see from them in finals. I think Des' philosophy is completely different and we see far greater peaks and valleys with his teams. We have much greater upside in our team, but the true secret is whether we can time it properly (including luck with injuries). Like 2008, if we time it right and get the right people on the paddock during the lead up to, and including the finals, we can quite possibly smash a team like the Storm. Just my two cents worth.

My understanding of the Storm is that they play with an emphasis on consistency over time and a system that relies on roles over individual talent. This means they train and play to perform as close to their team performance peak on a regular basis. This is reflected in their ongoing appearance near the top throughout regular seasons. However, it also means they have far less gears to move up through when needed. What you get through the regular season is pretty much the best of what you will see from them in finals. I think Des' philosophy is completely different and we see far greater peaks and valleys with his teams. We have much greater upside in our team, but the true secret is whether we can time it properly (including luck with injuries). Like 2008, if we time it right and get the right people on the paddock during the lead up to, and including the finals, we can quite possibly smash a team like the Storm. Just my two cents worth.
Interesting summary… Penrith seem to have taken a similar approach to Melbourne as you’ve explained. Bennett at Souths has more of a Des mentality in terms of building for the finals.

The Bennett/Hasler approach relies very much on momentum and a fit squad - not to say it can’t work if timed properly

Looking at the table I'd be against finishing top 4. Realistically you don't want to be playing Melbourne or Penrith week 1, sure we can win but we can also lose. You don't want to be coming into week 2 of the finals bashed up after playing a grand final intensity match the week earlier. For mine it opens up a chance of a flat performance in week 2.

I'd be happier finishing 5th/6th and slapping some poor souls in week 1 then head into week 2 fresher.

Looking at the table I'd be against finishing top 4. Realistically you don't want to be playing Melbourne or Penrith week 1, sure we can win but we can also lose. You don't want to be coming into week 2 of the finals bashed up after playing a grand final intensity match the week earlier. For mine it opens up a chance of a flat performance in week 2.

I'd be happier finishing 5th/6th and slapping some poor souls in week 1 then head into week 2 fresher.
With our top 17 we can take Melbourne or Penrith on a neutral venue and beat them .

Big possibility Parra drop out of the top 4 by the end of the regular rounds.
They play all teams in the top 6 and Moses is out indefinitely.

Great breakdown! This is 100% correct as the Storm are the kings of consistency. Anything can happen come finals time and that could play into our hands timing our run

Big possibility Parra drop out of the top 4 by the end of the regular rounds.
They play all teams in the top 6 and Moses is out indefinitely.
If we limit remaing games to 1 loss without it being to Parra, we will finish 4th. Parra have a tough run and bow without Moses.

The only thing wrong with this theory is assuming by finishing out of the top 4 we would just slap some poor souls in week 1 and avoid a game of grand final intensity. A knockout semifinal would have massive intensity.
Not to mention, the poor souls could be turn out to be St BBQ, or the Raiders, or Knights, all of whom beat our poor souls this year! Or maybe the Warriors, against whom we've played two very close games.
Most significantly, it would mean an extra match, and there's always a risk of losing players to injury in any game, and more so in a high stakes semifinal.
I have no doubt that there is an advantage to us in finishing top 4, even though I wouldn't write us off if we miss it.

The only thing wring with this theory is assuming by finishing out of the top 4 we would just slap some poor souls in week 1 and avoid a game of grand final intensity. A knockout semifinal would have massive intensity.
Not to mention, the poor souls could be turn out to be St BBQ, or the Raiders, or Knights, all of whom beat our poor souls this year! Or maybe the Warriors, against whom we've played two very close games.
Most significantly, it would mean an extra match, and there's always a risk of losing players to injury in any game, and more so in a high stakes semifinal.
I have no doubt that there is an advantage to us in finishing top 4, even though I wouldn't write us off if we miss it.
This.

We should be backing ourselves. The lesser teams can still hit hard and can cause injuries and fatigue, that isn’t limited to the top 4. Not to mention the advantage of being battle-hardened in the sense of testing ourselves against the best attack and trying to pick apart the best defence. If we win, a week off has shown to be a major advantage. The other plus is that it may not be played at Melbourne or Penrith, it could well remain on neutral ground this year which adds to the benefits of finishing fourth.

Parra are deadset teetering on the edge. They're going to falter. The rorters are there to be taken. They don't have top 4 halves. We stay the course, no major injuries and don't fukup games we should win we can take 4th spot.

Little tip - if Sironen is fit next week or the week after - he will be on the bench at least for a couple of games to get some match fitness before the finals. At the moment he isn't in our top 17 but Des will have to get him some game time just in case. There will be a bit of shuffling on the bench over the coming weeks if we stay healthy to keep players in match trim. It wont mean at all that some players are in our best 17 if they get picked - but Des just has to keep his bases covered coming into the finals. But yes this is a great 17 this week.
I would suggest he’ll have to be given a couple of runs and Des would be mad if he didn’t!!

Parra are deadset teetering on the edge. They're going to falter. The rorters are there to be taken. They don't have top 4 halves. We stay the course, no major injuries and don't fukup games we should win we can take 4th spot.
But the question is

Apart from the guaranteed second chance is 4th better than 5th ???

5 plays 8, we should win.

We are then , “ on a roll”.

4 plays 1, if we lose its hard to get back up.

Little tip - if Sironen is fit next week or the week after - he will be on the bench at least for a couple of games to get some match fitness before the finals. At the moment he isn't in our top 17 but Des will have to get him some game time just in case. There will be a bit of shuffling on the bench over the coming weeks if we stay healthy to keep players in match trim. It wont mean at all that some players are in our best 17 if they get picked - but Des just has to keep his bases covered coming into the finals. But yes this is a great 17 this week.
I think you might be right.

What will be interesting is whether Siro will now be used as a middle forward or on an edge. I would suggest that his days as an edge might be over and he is used for some direct running with quick play-the-balls and to help Jake tighten up our defence in the middle. This is the way I would use him if he makes the 17.

I think you might be right.

What will be interesting is whether Siro will now be used as a middle forward or on an edge. I would suggest that his days as an edge might be over and he is used for some direct running with quick play-the-balls and to help Jake tighten up our defence in the middle. This is the way I would use him if he makes the 17.
Not sure how Des will use him. I used to love him as an edge forward but with his injuries now for basically two years (I am sure he played injured last year) I have no idea about his mobility to play an edge - time will tell

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2