Happy Australia Day

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy belated Australia Day. I am very proud of this country and its history.
Definitely need to to do better towards our Aboriginal brothers and Sisters. But all this tokenism is meaningless and utter BS…. I mean these date changes, flag changes etc..
Anyway the media amplifies a minority upon a minority! A insignificant substrata of our population who are out there screaming to change the day etc… in other words it is the very noisy few that gets everybody’s attention in this manipulative way… It’s sad that this seems to take an effect on ordinary Australians and actually make them second guess their National Indentity and country. Don’t be sucked in by this hype and amplification of a narrative…Most Aussies love Australia Day and what our country stands for…..

I live in the ACT & since 2018 we have had a 'Reconciliation Day' public holiday in late May. In 2023 it has been set down for 29 May. Only problem is that it is always cold in Canberra at that time of year. If we move Australia Day can we keep it in the warmer months. Thank you.

I actually thought twice about replying, 'yes.....happy Australia Day'. Captain Obvious - it appears that Australia is divided on this. I won't bring it all up here, but I am alarmed when I hear people say that the term 'Australia' itself is offensive, that all the States / Commonwealth / Federal Government need to be abolished, and a 'new order' needs to be established.

Australia Day is fast becoming a divisive rallying point for race-based anarchists of all kinds. It's a shame - I like the idea of a day that celebrates our country. Though there seems to be a growing idea that this country belongs to some and not others. And that idea in general usually sparks conflicts.

I'm coming around to the 'change the date idea'. Here's how and why.

Make it the 25th of January. One day before it is now. One month exactly after Christmas Day. Easy to remember.

Why this may appeal to all the Indigenous folk: it's one day before the landing at Sydney Cove - you can celebrate the last day when no white people lived here, if that's what makes you happy.

Why this may appeal to the rest: it would represent the final day of a long, difficult voyage - if the arrival is actually significant to you. Though I'll bet most don't care about that. Practically speaking, it still provides that late January public holiday which is both useful and fun. And more importantly, we still celebrate Australia - isn't that a worthwhile thing to do?

My motivation for the change: to get us all to say, 'are we happy now? Anything else to whinge about? No? Then let's just get on with living in the best country on earth and look for ways to unite us, and stop looking for ways to divide us.' And stop the politicization (both left and right) of Australia Day.
A bunch of left wing nut jobs trying to ruin and divide the country. Thankfully I probably won't be around in 20-30 years to see what shameful mess the country is in by then.

I live in the ACT & since 2018 we have had a 'Reconciliation Day' public holiday in late May. In 2023 it has been set down for 29 May. Only problem is that it is always cold in Canberra at that time of year. If we move Australia Day can we keep it in the warmer months. Thank you.
See this is the type of rubbish I am talking about. 'Reconciliation Day'? Seriously? Extremism at the highest level

Ahh once again the wisest of words from a true gentleman. Of course you realise @Mark from Brisbane that us white, male over 50's are responsible for all the world's problems don't you. I just don't get it and never will , why we keep wanting to make people alive today apologise for the sins of Governments of centuries past. I suppose it's the woke, virtue signalling world we live in now.
This to me is the sticking point. We are not responsible but some are definitely the beneficiaries. The victims are no longer alive but their descendants are still suffering from the effects. We can't erase the past but the least we can do is acknowledge the suffering and stop celebrating the day it was instigated.

The Shovel’s take:

Migrants failing to assimilate, 200-year-study finds
australia-flag.jpg

Migrants to Australia have displayed an inability to assimilate with local values and refuse to speak anything but their native tongue, a study covering the last 200 years has found.

The study confirms a popularly-held belief in parts of the country that migrants simply refuse to fit in.

Boat people from as far back as 1788 didn’t bother applying for passports or visas, were set on introducing their own laws, and, in many cases concealed criminal records, according to the damning report.

Chief researcher Marianne Williams said migrants have stubbornly refused to adapt to the local culture. “They haven’t made an effort to fit in, and in a lot of cases they’ve tried to impose their own laws onto those already here”.

One migrant, a chook thief in his native England, immigrated to Australia in 1803 and despite his past career and skill set, was reduced to working as a local politician to make ends meet.

I mean, just change the date, its only going to get more divisive, and every year be a debate.

Make it a day everyone is keen to celebrate.

Way I see it, if I was....say planning a party and a bunch of my friends didnt feel comfortable celebrating that day because they had a funeral that morning, I'd move my party.

That said, I'm not passionate enough about this to get into a back and forth on here about it

Way I see it, if I was....say planning a party and a bunch of my friends didnt feel comfortable celebrating that day because they had a funeral that morning, I'd move my party.
The funeral of the past regardless of the date will never end

Unless we fully embrace the future

• 👍
Reactions: Ned
Boat people from as far back as 1788 didn’t bother applying for passports or visas, were set on introducing their own laws, and, in many cases concealed criminal records, according to the damning report.
Boat people? I thought the first fleet (1788) were convicts brought here against their will? Aka prisoners mainly for petty economic crimes. Many of these people were taken from their children..and families.
The fact that history is being distorted like this to serve this narrative is why this struggle is only going to end in conflict and further resentment…. This nonsense isn’t going to help anybody at the end of the day especially not the aboriginals..

Boat people? I thought the first fleet (1788) were convicts brought here against their will? Aka prisoners mainly for petty economic crimes. Many of these people were taken from their children..and families.
The fact that history is being distorted like this to serve this narrative is why this struggle is only going to end in conflict and further resentment…. This nonsense isn’t going to help anybody at the end of the day especially not the aboriginals..
If you don't get the irony you may have been sold a dodgy red pill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4