Halden, Burns, Witt & Monas fight for 5/8 spot

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

byso

First Grader
The article in the front page states that Halden, Burns, Witt & Monas will fight for 5/8 spot. So who will get the job?

Also Monas is no certainty to be captain ..........Dooh! it seems that Dessie hasn't had the time to sort that minor detail out yet;)

well its great, quality like orford and 4 players in the mix for 5/8. you would think we will find a good combination!
wats interesting is we have no idea who will click with orford at this stage. and fair enough on the captaincy, im thinking orford mayby.

Dunno why they don't try out this Jason Wells guy at 5/8? I woundn't want to see Burns there in 2006, Monghan should be hooker, haven't heard of Halden & Witt needs to improve, then again ... maybe with Orford there Witt will be the goods.

Halden is a quality player (and his brothers aren't too bad either).
He comes from Barellan just down the road from here which is a tiny town population a couple of hundred.
They won the Country Cup (going through a season undefeated) a couple of years ago when he and his brothers and another former Manly player Jay Bandy were in the side.
He should be used to playing in the Maroon and White as that is the Barellan Rams colours!

how come every time we buy a new unknown player everyone always puts him in the starting team?

Yep if you read the story it says that he played 3 games last year

Maybe lsz was talking about Jason Wells though

with burns being able to kick and from what i saw of halden last year there isnt anywhere for witt to fit.

This will be Clints 3rd year with Us , Spent Most of 2004 at halfback in Premier League , From what ive seen I think hes quite a good player

Sorry guys should be more clear i was talking about the Jason Wells post....

I'm one of those people that wants everyone to get off monas' back and i may have even said somewhere that he is best for the 6 job. But i am seriously coming round to the idea of witt at 5/8 and monas at hooker it seems like a good combo to me. As far as the other 2 blokes go, travis burns looks a quality player and if either witt or monas aren't up to scratch by say round 10 then give the kid a run. I don't know much about this Clint Halden or whatever his name is but it's good to have 4 people vying for the spot.

I agree Nutz. If Witt is at 5/8, it strengthens our bench unbelievably:-

01. Brett Stewart
02. Paul Stephenson / Michael Robertson
03. Steven Bell
04. Ashley Alberts / Steve Matai
05. Chris Hicks
06. Michael Witt / Tavis Burns / Clint Halden
07. Matt Orford
08. Brent Kite
09. Michael Monaghan / Matt Ballin
10. Jason King / George Rose / Mark Bryant
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Steve Menzies
13. Ben Kennedy

14. Shayne Dunley
15. Kylie Leuleuai
16. Daniel Heckenberg
17. Luke Williamson / Jason Wells

OTHER players close to getting shot:-

Adam Cuthbertson - 2nd row / lock
Mailangi Styles - prop
Kane Cleal - 2nd row / prop

Anyway - this would be my starting side in 2006:-

01. Brett Stewart
02. Paul Stephenson
03. Steven Bell
04. Ashley Alberts
05. Chris Hicks
06. Michael Witt
07. Matt Orford (c)
08. Brent Kite
09. Luke Williamson
10. Daniel Heckenberg
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Steve Menzies
13. Ben Kennedy

14. Shayne Dunley
15. Kylie Leuleuai
16. Mark Bryant
17. Adam Cuthbertson

REASONS:-

Cuthbertson is very much like Sam Harris in ability to offload, and great when wide running. He is a longer term player like Harris, and could potentially offer more than 20 minutes that King does. Kennedy & Menzies aren't getting younger, so I'd say we will have another second rower on the bench, and due to size and strength and ball skills, would JUST pick him over Glenn Stewart.

Michael Monaghan is untested as Hooker at Manly. He should have to prove his position before getting any spot in the team.

In my opinion, his LATE 05 form didn't warrant being selected above Williamson at Hooker, or Witt at 5/8. Remember - a 5/8 will generally only be as good as a 1/2 back makes him.

Yep, Witt really showed improvement in the last half of the season he's sure to get in before Monas :)

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4