Go Matildas' .. World Cup Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Eagle 1

First Grader
Says the guy from a country too scared to go it alone from England!!!!

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh!

lol.

I'm a Canadian citizen, so :p

bloomin' eck it's hard to type with a cat crawling all over you!

(_you would be too if you met her!!!)
What's the feeling from the Canadian people in the up coming Election in Canada, will Justine finally get the boot this time.

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
ugh 7th ranked team (including greatest ever goal scorer- numerically) drew with the
40th ranked team

Oops.

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Not sure this is a good time ...

Considering the next election will probably be next year, + how would I know what Canadians think + it's Justin + there hasn't been a majority party in power for years + it's a soccer thread + it was a 0-0 draw in the soccer! sheesh

burp

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member

Matildas rally amid uncertainty over Kerr's World Cup​

Story by Anna Harrington • 25m ago

1689914685341.png

It is unclear just how long Sam Kerr (blue jacket) will be sidelined with injury.

It is unclear just how long Sam Kerr (blue jacket) will be sidelined with injury.© Mark Evans/AAP PHOTOS
Matildas dasher Ellie Carpenter is adamant Sam Kerr will overcome her injury in time to make an impact in the later stages of the Women's World Cup amid fears her entire campaign could be in peril.
Kerr was a shock scratching from Australia's opening 1-0 win over Ireland with a calf injury - suffered at training on match eve of Wednesday - that will also at least rule her out of next Thursday's clash with Nigeria in Brisbane.
But Australia's final and biggest Group B game against Canada at Melbourne's AAMI Park on July 31 is just four days later.
The tight turnaround and the notoriously unpredictable and slow-healing nature of calf injuries has the entire nation holding its collective breath.
"She's going to be out for two games, and then we'll reassess afterwards," coach Tony Gustavsson said after Thursday night's escape act.
"That tells you a little bit about what grade it is, but we don't want to go into more details on that at this point."
If Australia make the round of 16, they would have a break until August 7, which is a far more favourable timeline - giving Kerr more than two-and-a-half weeks' recovery time.
Carpenter's comments on Friday indicated that timeline, or perhaps an even later return, would be more likely.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/video/spo...d-out-for-two-games/vi-AA1e7ltT?ocid=msedgntp
"It was obviously heartbreaking for Sam personally and I guess for us also obviously heartbroken," Carpenter said in a Football Australia video interview.

"But we know that she was with us throughout the whole 90 minutes and we played for her, won for her and we know that she'll be back with us soon.
"We're all there for her like she's always there for us during (tough) times.
"This is the most important time. We'll all rally around her and we know that she'll get herself right to come help us in the later stages."
The prospect of the Matildas being without Kerr all tournament, which would place a hefty burden on Caitlin Foord and Mary Fowler in attack, is not only Gustavsson's worst nightmare.
It would also be a marketing disaster for FIFA, with the 29-year-old superstar the face of the World Cup.
Vice-captain Steph Catley stepped up on Thursday to take the armband and fill the leadership void, including scoring the decisive penalty – normally Kerr's role.
"Sam's still around - she's still got her effect on the team," Catley said.
"She's in every meeting. She's in there at halftime talking to everyone, she's doing the pre-game talk and she's still with us.
"So we'll do everything we can to get as far as we can and then hopefully we see Sam Kerr later on."
Gustavsson hailed how Kerr handled herself amid personal disappointment.
"Sam was very clear when she brought the team together and said, 'this is not about me, this is about you'," he said.
"She wanted to be focused on the team and for the players to be able to do that in that devastating moment for her personally says a lot about her as a captain for this team."

lsz

First Grader
Staff member
Lord they need something after last night

Thought Ireland were very unlucky to not get a point. They will need to improve a heap if they are looking to do anything at this cup

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member

I'm not surprised. (Keeping in mind it's always a close run race to see which is the most corrupt organisation, the IOC or FIFA)

But it's funny to hear the fifa boss saying "I am only interested in positive things, I wont even talk about the equal pay issue, only happy things this world cup..."

nek minit...

wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

social media is putting up our videos and they're miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine!!!!

I don't understand this social media thingie as I'm an old ****wit. wahhhh

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I thought this was a great ad, and it's going viral, and appropriate for the 'women's world cup' thread.

edit: It's obv french fan based, but still.

It's understandable even if one doesn't know french (I think) - but I'm happy to throw in a few lines (of text) if needed.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member

Australia’s Mary Fowler out of Nigeria game in second Matildas nightmare​

The Matildas have been hit with a second mammoth World Cup blow, with a young gun ruled out of Australia’s second game.

2 min read
July 26, 2023 - 11:50AM

https://www.news.com.au/sport/footb...y/news-story/33231e241900d41ba18259224bfc7995
Matildas cop World Cup blow

Matildas cop World Cup blow

https://www.news.com.au/sport/footb...r/news-story/05bdabff05ee8ecb9396efee5780a036
The Matildas have been struck by a second World Cup blow with star forward Mary Fowler ruled out of Thursday’s game against Nigeria with concussion.

On Wednesday, the Matildas revealed Fowler and defender Aivi Luik would be unavailable for the team’s second group stage game after they both sustained mild concussions in separate incidents in training on Tuesday.

The Matildas said in a statement: “Fowler and Luik have both fully recovered and commenced Football Australia’s Graduated Return to Play protocol.”

It’s an unmitigated disaster for the Matildas, who were rocked by a calf injury to Sam Kerr on the eve of the tournament that ruled her out of the games against Ireland and Nigeria.
And with another of the squad’s forwards in Kyah Simon having carried injury into the tournament, Fowler’s misfortune has come at the wrong time for the Australians.

The Matildas have traditionally played a 4-4-2 formation under coach Tony Gustavsson, but that may need to be reshuffled to put Caitlin Foord as the lone striker upfront.
Mary Fowler is out of the Nigeria game with concussion. (Photo by Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images)

Mary Fowler is out of the Nigeria game with concussion. (Photo by Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images)
Fowler, 20, has long been seen as the heir apparent to Kerr and scored in Australia’s 1-0 win over France in their World Cup warm up game.

The concussion means Fowler could also miss Australia’s final group game on Monday against Olympic champions Canada — a crucial clash which could decide who tops Group B and cops an easier round of 16 opponent.

The FFA’s guidelines state the majority (80-90 per cent) of adult concussions resolve in a short (7-10 day) period, although the recovery frame may be longer in children and adolescents.
Australia defeated Ireland 1-0 in their first group stage game thanks to a second half penalty from stand-in captain Steph Catley.

The Aussies will need Foord and others to fire in front of goal in the absence of Kerr and Fowler.
Foord is set to lead the Matildas’ attack against the Nigerians, with the versatile Tameka Yallop an option to replace Fowler up front.

Fowler’s concussion could also force Kerr to return to action sooner than hoped if the Matildas are desperate for a goal against Canada.

The Matildas trained on Wednesday morning, with Kerr, Fowler and Simon all restricted to walking laps of the field.

They will guarantee themselves a spot in the tournament’s knockout stages with a win over the Nigerians.
https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?te...e/news-story/7dc0b443fd402daeb35ea17375fe1909
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...to-life-long-poverty-but-that-can-be-changed/

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
Tonight

Australia v Nigeria
Date:
 27 July 2023
Venue: Brisbane Stadium, Brisbane/Meanjin
Kick-off Time: 8:00pm (AEST)
Broadcast: Optus Sport and Channel 7

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts