Go Matildas' .. World Cup Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
The 2023 FIFA Women's World Cup is set to kick-off on July 20, with football fans across the world gearing up to cheer on their favourite team over the course of the month-long tournament.

Australia will be represented by the Matildas, with Australia's all-time top international goal scorer Sam Kerr leading the team as captain. In her eleventh year in the green and gold, Matildas legend Steph Catley will support Kerr as vice captain.

https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=286759

As we count down the days until the 2023 FIFA Women's World Cup, meet the 23 athletes that with represent Australia as part of the Matildas.

As we count down the days until the 2023 FIFA Women's World Cup, meet the 23 athletes that with represent Australia as part of the Matildas
https://www.msn.com/en-au/video/lif...tralias-sam-kerrmp4/vi-AA1dcqOg?ocid=msedgntp
"Selecting this World Cup squad has been the toughest challenge so far, but the whole coaching and support staff are all completely overjoyed for the 23 players who will represent the nation during this tournament," Matildas coach Tony Gustavsson said following the official squad selection.

"These 23 players not only exemplify what it means to be a part of the tradition of the CommBank Matildas, but also what it means to represent the 25 million Australians we know are fully behind us. They have the heart, desire, and the passion for the crest, and I can't wait to see the next part of their story," he continued.

As they prepare for their journey towards a Women's World Cup win, get to know the 23 Matildas that will take to the pitch for Australia.

Goalkeepers: Mackenzie Arnold, Teagan Micah, Lydia Williams.

Defenders: Ellie Carpenter, Steph Catley, Charlotte Grant, Clare Hunt, Alanna Kennedy, Aivi Luik, Courtney Nevin, Clare Polkinghorne.

Midfielders: Alex Chidiac, Kyra Cooney-Cross, Katrina Gorry, Emily van Egmond, Clare Wheeler, Tameka Yallop.

Forwards: Caitlin Foord, Mary Fowler, Sam Kerr (C), Hayley Raso, Kyah Simon, Cortnee Vine.

Standby players: Larissa Crummer, Emily Gielnik, Chloe Logarzo, Amy Sayer, Remy Siemsen, Jada Whyman.

Fixtures | Group B | FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023​

Australia v Republic of Ireland
Date:
 20 July 2023
Venue:  Stadium Australia, Sydney/Wangal
Kick-off Time: 8:00pm (AEST)
Broadcast: Optus Sport and Channel 7

Australia v Nigeria
Date:
 27 July 2023
Venue: Brisbane Stadium, Brisbane/Meanjin
Kick-off Time: 8:00pm (AEST)

Canada v Australia
Date: 31 July 2023
Venue: Melbourne Rectangular Stadium, Melbourne/Naarm
Kick-off Time: 8:00 pm (AEST)

Attachments

• 1688788908164.png
    1688788908164.png
    68 bytes · Views: 0

When is the Matildas next match?​

The Matildas next match will take place on Friday, 14 July when they take on France at Marvel Stadium in Melbourne.

The match is being billed as a 'send off' game, given that it takes place just six days before their opening game of the World Cup.

It is the first time Les Bleues have faced the Matildas in Australia in 20 years, and is the first clash between the sides since 2018, where the Matildas lost 2-0 in Saint-Etienne.

It will serve as a good test for the Matildas, as France are currently ranked 5th in the FIFA World rankings and are seen as a massive threat for the World Cup proper.

Very excited for this

Gutted this was the year my daughter stopped playing football to concentrate on dance as i think this would have hooked her for life.

Our plan is to adopt a team and support them in the group matches etc (apart from Australia that is!)

We are leaning towards the French or colombia as they have two games at Alliance

Very excited for this

Gutted this was the year my daughter stopped playing football to concentrate on dance as i think this would have hooked her for life.

Our plan is to adopt a team and support them in the group matches etc (apart from Australia that is!)

We are leaning towards the French or colombia as they have two games at Alliance

arh the French ..

This is apparently the third biggest sporting event in the world. Presumably behind only the Olympics and the mens World Cup. I'll certainly try to watch a few games, have never even seen Sam Kerr play, for example, but look forward to it. Will be fascinating to see how the whole event unfolds.

This is apparently the third biggest sporting event in the world. Presumably behind only the Olympics and the mens World Cup. I'll certainly try to watch a few games, have never even seen Sam Kerr play, for example, but look forward to it. Will be fascinating to see how the whole event unfolds.

You will become an instant fan ... best sporting team to watch .. filled with genuine talent and stars .. and played with great spirit and skill

If you need a bit of education on the girls and the game before the World Cup (and Sam Kerr in particular) as I definitely needed it. But was glad I did. The kids absolutely love them.

Get ready for an incredible behind-the-scenes look at the squad, as all six episodes of the new sports documentary series Matildas: The World at Our Feet are now streaming on Disney+.

Spain and Holland women’s footballers filmed mocking haka​

Two World Cup heavyweights have been filmed mocking the iconic haka, getting slammed on social media for the insensitivity.

Staff Writers

less than 2 min read
July 10, 2023 - 12:19PM

https://www.news.com.au/sport/footb...y/news-story/dbba2732c5c850e43e4bbc9d87d4c089
Fury as World Cup players filmed mocking haka

Fury as World Cup players filmed mocking haka

The Women’s World Cup is still more than a week away but already teams are being warned about respecting local and international cultures after video of Spanish and Dutch players mocking the haka appeared online.
Stream Over 50 Sports Live & On-Demand with Kayo. New to Kayo? Start your free trial now >
Vision of the group attempting the traditional Maori act appeared on social media momentarily before being taken down.

According to reports, the video was taken at Spain’s first practice in New Zealand where they are based before the tournament kicks-off next week.

Spain open their campaign against Costa Rica on June 21 in Wellington and the clip will do little to earn them a favourable crowd.

They’re not the only side being accused of cultural insensitivities after video of a Dutch player imitating the ceremonial dance during a training session was shared online.

FIFA distanced themselves from the pre-tournament incidents saying in a statement “as this is a team matter we won’t be making any comment”.

arh the French ..

You have sold me on Colombia
For those of us old enough to remember their wonder team of the ealry 90's with Carlos Valderama (the best hair in world football), Renne Huigita and his scorpian kick (or being robbed by Roger Vila at Italia 90) through to the madman Tino Asprilla I am hoping they give me some similar enjoyment

You will become an instant fan ... best sporting team to watch .. filled with genuine talent and stars .. and played with great spirit and skill
Also hard to explain but lacks the cynical nature of the mens football.

I am not saying that there is not diving / simulation but it is far less pronounced than the mens game.

Also it is a privilege to watch Sam Kerr play - she is truly outstanding (but remember she is a goal scorer not creator...she will walk around for most of the match waiting for her chance!)

Very excited for this

The French, obviously!

Then enjoy singing along to one of, if not the best national anthem ever!

Funnily enough mate I just saw this about 10mins ago lol, not a big news follower so not sure what the reaction has been

Personally I couldn’t care less how people react to the haka

Europe seems (generalisation) seem to be 80 - 100 years behind societal norms when it comes to being er... considerate or educated with reference to other countries races and cultures. So I'm not surprised about this.

I've also heard from quite a few Kiwi's that, like you, they don't care about reactions to the Haka, etc, as they'll just get on with the business of thumping ya! Which I think is a great response (even if it 'probably' wont happen going up against teams like the dutch and the spanish.

You would have loved the scene in Casablanca

It did shut the Nazi's up, and that's a good thing.

And speaking of good things... I hope we get to see some great things by Sam Kerr!

Looking forward to it! Plenty of ads on tv here pumping it up as well.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8