Go Matildas' .. World Cup Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
It did shut the Nazi's up, and that's a good thing.

And speaking of good things... I hope we get to see some great things by Sam Kerr!

Looking forward to it! Plenty of ads on tv here pumping it up as well.

So .. question without notice ... When we play Canada ... which team will you root for?

wombatgc

KT 623
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I was waiting for it. That being FIFA coming in with their big stick to stir up the population. They are still hurting from the Muslims in Qatar canning (pun intended) major sponsor Budweiser of selling beer at the stadiums at the last minute.

Own goal: Outrage as FIFA covers names of Australia’s sporting greats
1689044509453.png

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...p/news-story/fe90a41af8810860bbc35f7aaef14863

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
So .. question without notice ... When we play Canada ... which team will you root for?

I'll be cheering for Canada (just) and not unhappy to see Australia win though.
there's plenty of teams that I still 'root' for Australia over Canada (men's soccer for one) but this one, Canada for me - though it's 'emotionally' a win win.

Now...that's some top tier fence sitting! lol (even though I said Canada).

And the women's team are having their own arguments with the governing body like the nrl atm.

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member

https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=286759

AAP
AAP

Follow

Matildas ready to go all out in France send-off game​

Story by Anna Harrington • 2h ago

The Matildas are preparing for their final World Cup warm up match against France.

The Matildas are preparing for their final World Cup warm up match against France.© Joel Carrett/AAP PHOTOS

The Matildas will field their strongest possible line-up against France as they attempt to charge into their Women's World Cup campaign.
Australia face the world No.5 in their send-off game in front of a sellout crowd at Melbourne's Marvel Stadium on Friday night, six days before their opening group match against Ireland.
Coach Tony Gustavsson flagged he'll heavily rotate his team, who will kick a ball in anger for the first time since beating England in April.
Striker Kyah Simon is unlikely to feature while other players, including Clare Polkinghorne, Alanna Kennedy and Tameka Yallop, will be on limited minutes.
"It will be a good indicator of the starting line-up but also the finishing line-up (against Ireland)," Gustavsson said.
"I've always talked about that - it's also about the game changers.
"The one thing that will be different is because it's a send-off game and the last friendly before the World Cup, I'm also going to consider any type of niggles and minutes played - because it's all about the Ireland game.
"If this was a quarter-final, I would probably treat game time and players differently. So you will see some adjustments according to that.

So it's a new adventure.

"So if you're surprised that maybe a player has a phenomenal game tomorrow and I take her off at half-time, it's going to be different, right?

"We're also going to have that approach that we want as many players as possible to get some game minutes."

The send-off against a top nation looms as perfect World Cup preparation.

"There's going to be testing some things," Gustavsson said.

"There's going to be throwing some curveballs out there for oppositions to deal with, come the World Cup, but then also have consistency in what we've done and believe in what we've done for years now."

Simon, the squad's shock inclusion after rupturing her ACL in October, was the only player absent from Thursday's training.

"She's still not ready to play many minutes but we're working on an individual plan for her and we selected her as a game changer," Gustavsson said.

"I would say we most likely won't see her tomorrow because she's on a long-term plan for us."

The crowd should be in excess of 50,000, a new Matildas record on home soil - though it will be quickly surpassed by around 80,000 fans in Sydney next Thursday.

"Tomorrow you're going to think 'woah, this is incredible' and then have in the back of your mind next week it's going to be double this," Matildas and Lyon defender Ellie Carpenter said.

"So that just gives me goosebumps, talking about it.

"But I think it's going to be preparation mentally for us. I don't think many of us have played in (front of) more than 50,000 or 60,000 people.

"So it's going to be taking it all in, soaking it all in."

Attachments

• 1689230239886.png
    1689230239886.png
    68 bytes · Views: 2

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
The MSM below is a link to video ... the Matildas friendly tomorrow night is a sell out ... over 50,000 fans ... just click on it ..

Budgie

In for the long haul.
2016 Tipping Competitor
Tipping Member
I'll be cheering for Canada (just) and not unhappy to see Australia win though.
there's plenty of teams that I still 'root' for Australia over Canada (men's soccer for one) but this one, Canada for me - though it's 'emotionally' a win win.

Now...that's some top tier fence sitting! lol (even though I said Canada).

And the women's team are having their own arguments with the governing body like the nrl atm.
Bad GE! Bad!!!!

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member

Matildas, France raring for bumper pre-World Cup clash​

Story by Anna Harrington • 12h ago

1689315707923.png

Tony Gustavsson is looking forward to completing the Matildas' World Cup preparation against France.

Tony Gustavsson is looking forward to completing the Matildas' World Cup preparation against France.© Joel Carrett/AAP PHOTOS

Matildas coach Tony Gustavsson believes friendly opponents France have given Australia a helping hand ahead of the Women's World Cup.
The Matildas take on the world No.5 at a sold-out Marvel Stadium on Friday night.
Herve Renard's charges recently beat Canada and Ireland, providing Australia with a strong blueprint for how to take on two of their three group-stage opponents.
As well as providing invaluable research material, France will also pose a terrific test on the field.
"We didn't know they were going to play Canada and Ireland," Gustavsson told reporters on Thursday.
"That was a very good bonus for us.
"We got a lot of good pictures of France but moreso about our group-stage opponents. We've looked at a lot of video.

"When it comes to why we're playing France, it's part of the bigger plan that we've prepped for, for years - meaning we need to play top opposition, European opposition, and make sure that we measure ourselves against those top teams.

"We have enabled over the last four games now against European opposition. It doesn't mean it's not going to be a tough game against France

"But France is one of the few (top) teams that we haven't played under my tenure. So I'm really happy to get the chance to do that as well."

Matildas defender Ellie Carpenter plays her club football at Lyon alongside several of France's squad.

"(It's) extra-special for me, I get to play against some of my teammates who I know very well," she said.

"I'm excited to see them and I can't wait for the battle."

France coach Renard, who was in charge of Saudi Arabia's men's team at last year's World Cup in Qatar, is looking forward to playing the hosts in front of more than 50,000 fans in Melbourne.

"This is a very good context to start this World Cup," he said.

"If the stadium is full, it's a good (preparation).

"We know it will be a very difficult game but it's perfect for us.

"We have to be ready to start very well and to play a very good World Cup in Australia.

"Tomorrow it will be another stage against one of the favourites of this Women's World Cup."

France are wary of the Australians too but Renard said his side would remain focused on their own performance

"They improved a lot. They have a coach with big experience, especially with women's football. So it's exciting," Renard said of the Matildas.

"We know (Sam Kerr is) a very good striker. She did very well also at Chelsea. Of course she's the leader of this team.

"(But) we are thinking of ourselves first."

Attachments

• 1689315751142.png
    1689315751142.png
    68 bytes · Views: 0

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
woohoo!

1-0 win to aust!!!

Friendly or no....

I hope those injuries aren't bad. world cup start is knocking at the door.

- anyway, it's not nice to beat France...on Bastille day!!!!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
14 11 3 103 26
14 10 4 118 24
14 10 4 78 24
15 9 6 161 20
14 8 6 60 20
14 7 7 63 18
14 7 7 37 18
15 8 7 -8 18
14 7 7 -50 18
14 7 7 -79 18