Geoff Toovey

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
CentralCoastEagle said:
master blaster said:
cant believe it,we are in a bit of a slump,and we are ripping our team apart from 1-17,even the coach isnt safe,how about we wait till the end of the season and see how we ended up,then judge,yeah we are badly out of form,but we have too many class players to stay in the slump,regardless of their age,Im not giving up on them yet

That is completely simplistic. We are in more than a "form slump." There are serious structural deficiencies in our attack and nothing "appears" to be happening to rectify it. We have played 3 semi finals and 1 WCC under Tooveys reign and we have won one of them in controversial circumstances.

I really really want Tooves to succeed, but late into his 2nd season and with one of the best rosters in the NRL, it's the time to start delivering some wins, just like Ivan Cleary is now doing, having been at the riff for the same period of time with an inferior roster.

Fair call.

More than a form slump IMO. Our attack within the oppositions 20 hasn't looked like cracking them in weeks.

There was also some criticism last season (of our attack) which promptly got shut down after an odd big win, which although satisfying at the time, didn't really address the criticism.

• 👍
Reactions: Dan
BOZO said:
2V is doing a great job under the circumstances . Look at the Ladder and see where Hasler and Bennett are and have a go at them

that is true , but really not by that much...IMO i think toovey has a better roster under him as well...

Guys , i love the passion , loyalty and understand the biased comments...

im sure we all here will never give up on our team... but we cant pretend that how were playing is poor !!!

im not saying we cant win the comp , but week after week were discussing the same thing and nothing really changes from the week before...

its also not about winning its also how you do it... when was the last time we won and won by 13+ , put teams to the sword ???

the good and form teams also put teams to the sword and state their dominance !!! by doing this they put fear in the team their playing the following week..

this week melb dominated brisbane , souths just finishing smashing the warriors ( coming from behind ) and penrith put 40 on gold coast , if we were playing gold coast today i doubt we would put 40 on them...

we are in a slump , but what upsets me is that , i feel we dont fix our mistakes from the week before or get better and its been like this several weeks.

i think that their must be a coaching problem , i dont understand with a player roster like ours we are struggling like this , i know we are missing big men but we also have big players that can win games and dominate their opponents

even the sharks have scored more points then us , and lets not forget what they have gone through this year ... forget catching up on points scored with the top 3 at the moment...

we can come up with many excuses as we like , but that will not keep us in the top 4...

need to start winning and scoring points...

good luck boys tomorrow

(Is Mr Toovey signed for next season?)

I recall some weeks ago before heading into the difficult part of the draw, discussion about how this was going to show us how we are travelling? Well, now we know.

No embarrassing losses but still no points. Injury and suspension has been harsh as usual. We get a lot of that.

But the real issue IMHO is that the hunger is not there. Too much success, too many trophies. Makes you fat and lazy (metaphorically). This is why new blood is needed, to rub off on the others that hunger to win.

Just as an example you could drop Wolfie. His form has been ordinary for weeks. However, he has passion for getting hammered at the Cross. Isn't there some up and comer who could fill the shoes of the once glorious but now merely adequate? Or are the reserves as woeful as their place on the ladder?

Yep.The hunger factor is never mentioned but means plenty.Half our side or more has won 2 comps.When you have been a warrior for so long how much do you want a 3rd?

susan said:
Yep.The hunger factor is never mentioned but means plenty.Half our side or more has won 2 comps.When you have been a warrior for so long how much do you want a 3rd?

Even Toovey, in his role as 'deputy coach' may feel that he has already won premierships, in a coaching capacity.

Playing for pride, for the fans, for the money isnt enough. You'd have to want the title really badly, 'in your gut' and the whole team would have to feel the same way.

Experience counts for a lot, but is 'successful experience' a kind of limiting factor ?

We've not been hammered and have been down on troops playing top teams. Relax, I can see us putting on a big score tonight.

DSM5 said:
We've not been hammered and have been down on troops playing top teams. Relax, I can see us putting on a big score tonight.

"One swallow does not a summer make".

Its not whether or not we can beat the wooden sp00ners by a big margin, . . its whether or not we can beat the minor premiers by a small (or any) margin.

Well we aren't playing Souths till R23 so if you want to be miserable until then be my guest.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Well we aren't playing Souths till R23 so if you want to be miserable until then be my guest.
This thread is not about me, its about whether Toovey will make any changes to make sure we can, or are in good position to, beat Souths in round 23.

If we lose or win ugly tonite, than the need to make changes will become so drastic, so obvious, that even the coach will not be able to proceed without making them.

I don't see much evidence for the proposition that Toovey is unable or unwilling to make changes. We have tried heaps of new players so far this year, for one reason or another. So far Lawrence, Gower, Fa'aoso, Horo, Hasson, Symonds, Hiku, & Tonga and Sene-Lafao have all played their first matches for Manly this season.

As for changing tactics, Toovey's choices have been limited by the available cattle to some extent. I don't think Toovey is as dumb as some people think.

League is a funny game. One week you are beaten by a bottom of the league team and then after that you win 2 or 3 matches in a row and everyone suddenly thinks you are a good team again. There are so many variables in each game that can affect the results. Manly has had a tough time of late what with injuries, suspensions and unfair refs decisions but with the home run to the finals I'm sure they will be primed and ready to show their best form.

EagleFromMay1967 said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:
This thread is not about me, its about whether Toovey will make any changes to make sure we can, or are in good position to, beat Souths in round 23.

If we lose or win ugly tonite, than the need to make changes will become so drastic, so obvious, that even the coach will not be able to proceed without making them.

Apologies if you have already made suggestions but what changes would you like to see?

mozgrame said:
susan said:

Ask the QLD SOO side. ;)

according to that same side origin died while Bellamy was at the helm

lsz said:
Apologies if you have already made suggestions but what changes would you like to see?

1. GStewart on Bench. Max 30 mins playing time.
2. When Gift comes on (for Whatmough) plays on left.
3. Hiku for David Williams - out.
4. Rose to Start, Kite on Bench. 40 mins each.
5. Symonds plays 80 mins on right
6. In attack, Taufua @ fullback every 2nd raid.
7. Sao relieves Lawrence.
9 JBuhrer relieves Ballin, if not general injury replacement.

for starters.
All the backs to practice their 'chip over the top' for the quick up-rushing defence teams.

Well I guess one has to earn one's stripes before getting a gig as an NRL coach. Tooves has earned a shot and I'm not knocking him just yet. Which of us is right, only time will tell. Anyhow I better get moving, many km to cover to get there tonite! Go Manly.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4