Geoff Toovey

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
EagleFromMay1967 said:
lsz said:
Apologies if you have already made suggestions but what changes would you like to see?

1. GStewart on Bench. Max 30 mins playing time.
2. When Gift comes on (for Whatmough) plays on left.
3. Hiku for David Williams - out.
4. Rose to Start, Kite on Bench. 40 mins each.
5. Symonds plays 80 mins on right
6. In attack, Taufua @ fullback every 2nd raid.
7. Sao relieves Lawrence.
9 JBuhrer relieves Ballin, if not general injury replacement.

for starters.
All the backs to practice their 'chip over the top' for the quick up-rushing defence teams.

A bit lost - how does the team line up? Sao comes in for who (also from the reports on the weekend are you not concerned about his defence? I have not seen him play so can not comment)

Has rose been playing 40? Will his impact be reduced starting rather than coming from the bench?

Choc now only plays 50 minutes?

Brett to the wing when Jorge goes on a raid?

Taufua at fullback, thats quite a big change from when you said he was crap and would never be a winger last year !! ;)

EagleFromMay1967 said:
lsz said:
Apologies if you have already made suggestions but what changes would you like to see?

1. GStewart on Bench. Max 30 mins playing time.
2. When Gift comes on (for Whatmough) plays on left.
3. Hiku for David Williams - out.
4. Rose to Start, Kite on Bench. 40 mins each.
5. Symonds plays 80 mins on right
6. In attack, Taufua @ fullback every 2nd raid.
7. Sao relieves Lawrence.
9 JBuhrer relieves Ballin, if not general injury replacement.

for starters.
All the backs to practice their 'chip over the top' for the quick up-rushing defence teams.

All backs to practice their chip over the top??
Can't believe Tooves hasn't thought of that yet!!! Lol....

Sao comes in for who ? Brenton Lawrence
Has rose been playing 40? Will his impact be reduced starting rather than coming from the bench? Need the best at the beginning. Kite is a slow diesel Landcruiser.
Choc now only plays 50 minutes? Yes.

Brett to the wing when Jorge goes on a raid? Yes.

It almost doesn't matter WHAT changes you make, just that the coach demonstrates to the team that HE IS PREPARED TO MAKE CHANGES, and no-ones spot in the team is guaranteed. They are too comfortable. 2V is too close to them. Some of them look downright bored. Or they are " playing boring ".
Some of them get away with making more sideways metres than forward.

the mauler said:
All backs to practice their chip over the top??
Can't believe Tooves hasn't thought of that yet!!! Lol....

Only Snake has attempted this, last round. Lyon attempted one in about round 3.

their attack is boring, predictable, easily countered, lacks go forward, lacks ball discipline / security, kicking game is patchy, lacks variety at dummy half.

EagleFromMay1967 said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:
Well we aren't playing Souths till R23 so if you want to be miserable until then be my guest.
This thread is not about me, its about whether Toovey will make any changes to make sure we can, or are in good position to, beat Souths in round 23.

If we lose or win ugly tonite, than the need to make changes will become so drastic, so obvious, that even the coach will not be able to proceed without making them.

I don't even think a fifty point drubbing of the Eels will prove too much...

SeaEagleRock8 said:
I don't see much evidence for the proposition that Toovey is unable or unwilling to make changes. We have tried heaps of new players so far this year, for one reason or another. So far Lawrence, Gower, Fa'aoso, Horo, Hasson, Symonds, Hiku, & Tonga and Sene-Lafao have all played their first matches for Manly this season.

As for changing tactics, Toovey's choices have been limited by the available cattle to some extent. I don't think Toovey is as dumb as some people think.

I think he means that we give young guys a go, instead of the journeyman types.

http://www.nrl.com/sea-eagles-look-to-rise-up-pecking-order/tabid/10874/newsid/73355/default.aspx - full story click the link

If Manly coach Geoff Toovey thought his team couldn’t improve on what they had done during their current run of just two wins from eight games, then he would be tearing his hair out.

Make no mistake, Toovey isn’t happy with the way things have gone recently, but the point he makes is that the problem isn’t that big and can be easily fixed.

Starting on Monday night, Sea Eagles fans will hope, with the game against traditional rivals Parramatta at Brookvale Oval.

manlyfan76 said:
http://www.nrl.com/sea-eagles-look-to-rise-up-pecking-order/tabid/10874/newsid/73355/default.aspx - full story click the link

If Manly coach Geoff Toovey thought his team couldn’t improve on what they had done during their current run of just two wins from eight games, then he would be tearing his hair out.

Make no mistake, Toovey isn’t happy with the way things have gone recently, but the point he makes is that the problem isn’t that big and can be easily fixed.

Starting on Monday night, Sea Eagles fans will hope, with the game against traditional rivals Parramatta at Brookvale Oval.

So Tooves says there really isn't a problem, just a bit of execution.

We are in more trouble than I thought.

manlyfan76 said:
. . . Toovey isn’t happy with the way things have gone recently, but the point he makes is that the problem isn’t that big and can be easily fixed.

Cant resist:
The problem isnt' that big: 2V is only 5ft 6in.
Can be easily fixed. Yes, by David Perry.

A mirror is called for.

Tooves is a victim of having 15 good players and 10 very average and injured ones.We were always 3 forward injuries/suspensions away from struggling and unfortunately we got them.

Im sure he knows we need more variety, a helper for Ballin etc but to be honest our bench with Joe/Kingy/Richie and Brett out was probably the least effective in the league and that wont change this year.The only thing I cant understand is his use of Glen in the same way each week.

Manly stick by their own in the coaching department and it usually works.I will judge Tooves on how he goes when we have 20+ firstgraders and not 15 to pick from. With some young talent and a few recruits like Starling that shouldn't be too far away. We will struggle at the back end this year I expect but good things may not be far away.At least we are one step ahead of most clubs with two fine young halves to build around.

Tooves as a player was gutsy as anyone in my time.
His passion for the Seaeagles is unrivalled imo.
Being the ultimate competitor he would be far more upset than anyone on this Silvertails site regarding recent form.
He is not a walking excuse book of umms & errs like some other coaches & I respect the fact he states though lacking injured /suspended players the form is simply not good enough.
This is a bloke I think deserves a bit more respect, particularly the way he stepped into the hotseat in 2012 when Manly was crushed & the club was in total shambles. He made us contenders when most had written us off & in the circumstances, no coach imo could have done any better.
Must admit theres parts of the recent attacking shape that needs work but all teams have weaknesses, particularly when missing marque players- ask Melbourne - Bellamy would get sacked every time Smith had a cold....
Tooves is a Seaeagles legend- does not make him a great coach, but with his results when we are near full strength he gets the green light imo.

It's a long , long season..the players know what is required when it matters ( ie - semis ).....lets see the origin series finish...we will have Faoso back , Gift will have put some more metres in the legs, Brett S will have had some more games back from injury, and we have the defence that can strangle teams....the expectation isnt there as in previous years , even the majority of fans have written our season and coach off...the team is a full of players who have played in a lot of big end of season games....i think the problems we have been having have been in part "mental"...first and second spot on the ladder is probably gone...so we are playing for third / fourth at best, and with the new macyntire system , a second chance , should we lose our first semi, against teams 5 - 8, at home.....i'd rather we go into the semis with a bit of momentum , than being the favourites and expectation weighing heavily....rememeber last time souths were minor premiers - went out in straight sets..the pressure and expectation on souths and roosters , and to a lesser extent the storm is going to be massive....bring on the under dog status and the critics writing us off...we are the dark horses and can put it together IMO should we make the top 4...even the 8 for that matter...the guys put in and will put in even more when the games that matter come around....they know better than anyone all they are playing for now is what position they start in for the new comp that starts after rd 26.

I concur with Susan. Apart from the Glenn strangeness, we're doing OK. No huge scores against when we 've played the heavyweights while down on troops. Don't forget we've had to do battle with the referees as well. I'd like to see some increased discipline on the field, but that's killers dept I guess. All good, and I still keep the faith with Toovs.

The thing I like the best is that if we lose we are done, if we just win its not good enough and if we flog them it doesn't mean much

Either way people can keep grinding the axe for another week. Then we can play a Cowboys side missing Origin players which again can be twisted into the above scenario, then onto the Titans minus Idris etc

It wont be a bad thing, it'll be 'bright'. But it wont mean we've turned the corner.

To see that Manly have turned the corner it will look like this week after week:

Front row have go forward.
Gifty ditto, with some nice passes. Enthusiastic effort.
Horo, Symonds, Whatmough no silly passes and some great metres.
Kite and Lawrence ; Enthusiasm determination. defence.

Halves: Adventurous, great kicking game. A chip over for Snake that actually works.

Centres room to move and no silly high shots.

A win by 5 tries.

This is becoming plainly boring.

There are certain people on here who have an axe to grinde with Tooves . You have made your point many times over , it's time to move on now .

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4