Genuine Thoughts about Hasler 12 months on

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
barrack o barba said:
Go Dessie

I wonder if you'd say that if at the end of the season The Warriors open a war chest, and sign him for twice the coin, and he left you high and dry.

I honestly think he'd be lynched by the same Bulldogs fans that beat up that woman last week in their Bulldogs wigs.

banhammer_forecast1.gif

Mr InviswannahangoutnobigDEAL! said:
How was my opinion a message of support for Hasler? i said he was a good coach and it was only a matter of time before he got poached by a team loaded with money.

Your allowed to support Hasler. He was a Manly legend both on and off the field, and probably the best coach in the game of Rugby League today.

And you are right, of coarse clubs are going to try and pilpher him.

BUT, character is character, and if I'm a betting man, I'm betting a bloke like Bellamy wouldn't turn his back on The Storm players even IF The Warriors offered more coin, OR if he disagreed with The Storm's board strategies.

It's the difference between class (char and loyalty), and not I suppose.

I still hate him.
It'll take a lot to undo this feeling which I believe it'll last forever with me.

I always found des hard to like even in his days as a player. This stems from stories I heard from mates who had him as a teacher. He was a psycho, verbally abusive and cruel. And he would have only been about 22 at the time.

I'll now weigh in with my opinion.

I am not bitter at all about Des leaving. I'm over the circumstances and the perceived under handed way everything was dealt with. Both the club and Des and almost everyone else has shared their side of the story to what happened. What I won't get bought into is all the emotion along with the bitterness and anger over what happened. At the of time of the grand exodus I was bewildered, gutted and embarrassed as a fan of a premiership winning team.

But I look at it this way:

It will always be messy and emotional when an icon and hero of a kingdom chooses another camp. It creates more aggro between warring kingdoms (which is good for tribalism), but not good for personal perspective.

It gave another promising prince a chance to become king to show us his leadership. The new king may not have had a chance - ever.

The old king will always have some loyal subjects that follow him - that is life.

Timing of the announced departure may have been bad - but I don't think that was the old kings fault.

I am passionate about my team, Manly. But I am also a lover of the game and the workings of each coach and how they get the best out of a team. Some rise and some fall. A good Captain of the Ship will lead confidently and increase the confidence in his crew. Des did this with Manly... and now he has bred success back into the Dogs.

(Unfortunately, for too many Manly supporters, there was already a lot of emotional baggage and rivalry between us and the Dogs that it is hard to accept anything half good for them. Again, this keeps the game pumping with tribal stakes raising even higher)

Therefore, personally, I wish Des well and I hope his new kingdom of the dogs also do well today. As a lover of the game: I hope the most disciplined and focused team wins today.

(I now brace myself for a barrage of burning rocks to be lobbed my way :)

manlywarringah said:
Matabele said:
Toovey will be judged on next year. It is true he inherited a solid platform. How many new coaches inherit the Premiers? Most inherit smoke and ruins. Come on down Matt Parrish.

tookey said:
He signed with the dogs well before Manly came in with their better offer. We were too late as he had already committed elsewhere.

He also knew that Manly would have to rebuild and he didn't want to go through that again here. he wanted another challenge

There is no evidence he had already signed.

--------------------------------------------------------------
This is the email Hasler sent to Penn note the dates:

In a press release issued by his agent on Friday, Hasler denied he had breached his contract and claimed the board ''flatly rejected my proposal'' for an extension beyond 2012. However, in an email sent to Penn on August 22 under the subject line, ''Offer Next Steps'', Hasler - who had already exercised an option in his contract to remain at Brookvale for 2012 - wrote: ''… As you know, the recent negotiations have been conducted in relation to amounts of salary for the seasons 2012, 2013 and 2014.

''My salary for season 2012 is clearly not settled - that much is clear from the fact we are still negotiating about it …

''You have previously stated that I should ask you for a release. As I have said, given that the amount of salary for 2012, it is not settled upon, I don't think that I have anything from which I require a release.

''Your current 'final' offer, dated 15 August 2011 is not acceptable.

''Given the Club has not been able to formulate an acceptable offer for seasons 2012, 2013 and 2014 then I am notifying you that I intend to immediately accept employment elsewhere for 2012 and beyond.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/haslers-trail-of-carnage-split-club-20111112-1ncxn.html#ixzz27od3V1LI

We were still negotiating with him right up until the grand final week.

How come Penn stood up on stage at the victory celebration at Brookie that night after the GF and stated to all there that Des had agreed to coach Manly in 2012 and then Des's speech to all espousing let's go B2B.

Because Des had taken up the option to coach us in 2012 even though he was still negotiating with the dogs.

Penn was not to know Des had already signed with the dogs when he said that on grand final night.

Des had it all worked out!

But in the email dated August 22nd Des says.
''Your current 'final' offer, dated 15 August 2011 is not acceptable.

''Given the Club has not been able to formulate an acceptable offer for seasons 2012, 2013 and 2014 then I am notifying you that I intend to immediately accept employment elsewhere for 2012 and beyond.''

Therefore Des never intended to stay before the semis even started for 2012 or beyond. Lies ,Lies and damned lies from all.

Yes, there were lies from everyone. Not good at all.

It would be interesting to know who it was that told the SMH journo that Hasler was staying a couple of hours before he announces he was leaving!

It seems no one knew he had signed in August except Des and the dogs!

ManlyBacker said:
They remain angry and emotional over Hasler's controversial and abrupt departure 12 months ago and are turning their backs on their former coach."
re. the article quote:
The former coach turned his back on the Manly club, players and fans. He was not loyal in any way to Manly so why should fans remain loyal to Des?

According to Roy M:

A midnight visit to Belmore exactly a year ago convinced Manly's premiership coach Des Hasler he should switch to the Bulldogs.

Hasler, then contracted to the Sea Eagles and accompanied by Bulldogs chief executive Todd Greenberg, did a tour of Belmore's state-of-the-art training facilities under the cover of darkness and agreed to join the club.

Asked when Hasler's clandestine tour of future duty occurred, Greenberg said ''September'' before amending this to, ''After the grand final. Almost 12 months to the day to this one.''

Past chief executives of Canterbury, such as Peter Moore, required a dose of sodium pentathol to exact truthful answers but Greenberg was quick to offer an explanation. ''Des wanted no fuss,'' he said, an observation that matches Hasler's low-key demeanour but also his contract at Manly, which had another year to run.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/dessies-midnight-visit-pays-dividends-20120929-26s72.html#ixzz27ulPdHZE

Interesting though, that the rumours had started well before this.

Had Des decided to go with dignity to Canterbury instead of trying to rip the heart out of the club that plucked him from obscurity as a player from Penrith lower grades and then embraced him as a true club legend as player and coach, then I'd have wished him well. He chose instead to covertly sign with the Bulldogs way back in August and then undertake to take with him, coaching staff (including Noel 'hang your head in shame Cleal) and players. This was a massive kick in the guts by a man whose hatred for the then board, irrationally transcended what should have been, loyalty to the club with which he played over 200 games and which he coached with distinction. Sadly, because of the ignominy of his departure, I supported the Storm for the first time ever in the gf. A grand final from hell for Manly fans!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6