General NRL chat

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...t/news-story/9137955323d695051ba3e5f457bd9be5

Rugby league’s forgotten man Sam McKendry heads into retirement

EVEN if Sam McKendry were given a farewell lap this Sunday, he wouldn't be able to walk it.
Or not easily.
No, not with his left knee currently wrapped in a brace.
The medial, likely stuffed.
Not permanently.

And certainly not so bad as that right knee which, after three reconstructions in as many years, is so ruined that nobody, not even doctors, can predict exactly the type of lifestyle awaiting this ageing Penrith prop in retirement.

Although at 30, the likely guarantee is pain.

Same deal for McKendry this week.

Especially after scans late on Tuesday revealed a Grade 2 medial tear will not only prevent him playing in Saturday’s Canterbury Cup finals at Campbelltown, but likely again.
Ever.
Sure, if his Cup side wins through to grand final day, the ageing prop remains a chance.
But if not?

Well, rugby league's forgotten man will then go empty his locker at Panthers HQ — effectively the only club, and life, he has ever known — before disappearing into the employ of whoever wants an old footballer with a new truck license.

Which at a time of cruel farewells, is truly the unfairest of all.

Understanding that after 12 NRL seasons at the foot of the mountains, McKendry not only boasts more years than every player on the current roster, but also Panthers greats like Greg Alexander, Mark Geyer, Brad Fittler, even Royce Simmons.

Think about that.

And how McKendry, over those same dozen years, hasn’t only outlasted a host of fellow debutants from 2008 — guys like Benny Barba, Jamal Idris, Akuila Uate, even Dave ‘The Wolfman’ Williams — but also married, had children, represented New Zealand, torn his ACL three times, had 16 pins and two titanium plates inserted into a broken jaw, been hailed the club’s future, urged to retire, removed from the NRL squad, praised for persisting, shopped around, even played 14 minutes of a Monday Night Football match with his neck broken.

Indeed, if Dally M trophies were awarded for persistence, McKendry could fence his backyard with them.

But they aren’t.

Which is why this forgotten hero gets no fireworks, no Waterford crystal and certainly no diamond ring for wife Kirsten.

Unlikely, even to get a game this Saturday arvo.

Instead, it now seems his NRL journey ended a week back at, of all places, Laybutt Field, Blacktown.

And on the type of afternoon where, apart from Penrith’s reggies being thumped, so many game balls got stuck on the flat grandstand roof that, eventually, a canteen worker had to go grab spares from his car.

bloody hell this article goes on and on...

Phil Gould will begin a review of St George Illawarra football operations next week after being approached by Dragons coach Paul McGregor.

Gould, NSW’s most successful State of Origin coach and a two-time premiership-winning mentor with Canterbury and Penrith, has more than 30 years experience as a coach, administrator and commentator and is considered one of the most knowledgeable people in the game.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/06...gn=2019Premiership&utm_content=Article_953855

I read that Israel Folau wants to play rugby league for Tonga, but it looks like being blocked by the International RL board.
I can't see why they would refuse him.
He hasn't done anything to harm rugby league - yet.
And the international game needs the best players for their birth nations.

I read that Israel Folau wants to play rugby league for Tonga, but it looks like being blocked by the International RL board.
I can't see why they would refuse him.
He hasn't done anything to harm rugby league - yet.
And the international game needs the best players for their birth nations.

Just heard on nien news that the IRL approved and he will play for Tonga .

Just heard on nien news that the IRL approved and he will play for Tonga .

@Danny_Weidler

This from Peter Beattie:”The RLIF board have made no decisions in relation to any registration request for Israel Folau. As a current member of the RLIF board as the ARLC rep I can assure you that this has never been discussed or mentioned around the board table”@9NewsSyd

Folau is probably not doing himself any favours by getting involved in the mess that is the Tongan team right now:
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/23...s-bid-to-make-rugby-league-return-with-tonga/

"The announcement of Folau's return comes amid a bitter dispute with Mate Ma'a Tonga players, led by Andrew Fifita and Jason Taumalolo, who are demanding the resignations of TNRL chairman George Koloamatangi and secretary William Edwards.
The TNRL appointed former Kiwis coach Frank Endacott to take charge of the team after sacking Kristian Woolf but it is understood that he is struggling to convince players to turn out in the October 26 Test against the Lions or the Oceania Cup clash with Australia on November 2."

I can't stand the guy or his views, but I don't think there is enough for the NRL to justify blocking him (provided they give him a watertight contract that specifies he keeps certain views to himself and away from prominent social media accounts). But if he thinks acting as a scab for the Tongan team's current administration will help with a potential return to the NRL then he is as delusional as his religious affiliations would suggest. :angel: It just removes even more teams of what I expect would be a very small list that would be willing to take a chance with him.

The brother of NRL great Mark Gasnier has been accused of using fake signatures to take hundreds of thousands of dollars out of the Gasnier family trust.

Maybe because Mark was happy to sign a playing contract for only $1 some years ago, his brother thought that's all he wanted...?

I decided that the manly wikipedia page needed some editing in the 2018 and 2019 sections today.

It seemed a bit too obvious that a non Manly fan was writing about our 'terrible' cap breaches in 2018.

So it now reads:

2018 Season
After the first two rounds, Manly were found guilty of minor breaches of the salary cap over the previous five years, due to a subtle change in one particular rule interpretation instigated by the NRL's CEO.

A $750,000 fine (250k suspended) and a $330,000 reduction in the salary cap for 2018 and 2019 seasons was imposed by the NRL.[7]
Manly had not paid any player over what they declared to the NRL but the definition of the phrase 'best efforts' to find third party payments was curiously changed to now mean an 'iron clad guarantee'by the NRL's CEO.
Investigation of close to one million pieces of information and searches of all relevant electrical devices showed all payments to players were correctly and accurately reported to the NRL.

The NRL's own salary auditors signed off as "true and compliant" all payments made to Manly players.

At the end of the 2018 season, Manly finished in 15th place on the table after a horror year on and off the field, one spot better than wooden spooners, Parramatta.

Throughout the season, there were rumours that surfaced highlighting major divisions and unrest with Barrett as coach. In October 2018 it was announced that Des Hasler had resigned with the Sea eagles as head coach in the hope that he could help rebuild the club.[8][9]

- I made a few changes here as the article inferred that Manly was guilty of massive salary cap breaches over 5 years and were fined 750k. Even the title "2018 season" initially read: "2018 season, Manly's worst year and salary cap breach"

2019 season

Manly would go on to reach the second week of the finals series but were defeated by South Sydney, and the refs, 34-26 in the elimination final at ANZ Stadium.

(I don't expect the bolded 2019 part to stay in wiki, but it's more than likely true......)

ge - protecting Manly from online tosspots since 2001

Last edited:
So I wonder who the sharks got rid of to make way for ramien or are they just signing and hoping that no one notices it . If I recall ,they had to make space for him

as posted in another thread...

Rugby league great Cooper Cronk joins AFL grand finalist GWS Giants in leadership role

GWS Giants have signed Cooper Cronk in the hope he can sprinkle his premiership star dust on a young team with history at their fingertips.

Cronk has been recruited as a leadership consultant to help inspire a Giants outfit determined to shake off the agony of grand final heartache and take the next step to the AFL summit in 2020.

Sooooooo...... he's working for the roosters and GWS, I guess he's finally signed 2 contracts legitimately!

Anyone worked out how a few teams that were in salary cap hell for 'years to come' are signing players?

Surely the journalism wasn't off....surely?

ps - wake up, it's almost 6am

Anyone worked out how a few teams that were in salary cap hell for 'years to come' are signing players?

Surely the journalism wasn't off....surely?

ps - wake up, it's almost 6am
One of Greenberg "s edicts on his version of consistency . All teams will be treated equally but some teams will be treated more equally then others . Also wish that there could be an audit into the complete [ or no doubt mainly wasted ] costs and resources dispensed on the so called Manly " salary breach " investigation .

Wow there is a lot of talent still on the open market this year. Some very very handy cheap buys out there. Which isn't always so obviously the case.

Hi fellow Sea eagle tragics ive just heard the young Kaufusi brother is looking at exploring other options .He is currently with the Dragons all i can say is it worth the enquiry. They are from Bundaberg like me and are all top guys great family and great clubmen ,right coaching and good support another origin player potentially in making ,plus would love Felise to come with him in time

France representative Laur'eane Biville is aiming to become the first European player to earn an NRLW contract.

The 20-year-old is so determined to fulfil her ambition of playing in the NRLW that she moved to Australia earlier this year to play for Brisbane club Easts Tigers and has now established a crowdfunding account to enable her to stay for another season.

Garnier, who is also a pathways squad coach for Melbourne Storm, was keen for an ambitious young French player with a passion for the game to learn from playing alongside established stars Vanessa Foliaki and Karina Brown.

Biville fitted the bill perfectly.

Not only was she a promising talent but Biville had actively taken a role in promoting women's rugby league in French-speaking Cameroon, with the inaugural Laur'eane Biville tournament held in July.

With a limited ability to earn income in Australia, Biville is seeking help to meet expenses associated with her bid to play in the NRLW, including a new visa, and she has established an appeal through French crowdfunding site Leetchi.com.

"I have been working very hard every day for five years now and it would mean a lot to me to play in the NRLW but it’s not easy," Biville said.

"I don’t have any help so that is the hardest part of the adventure for me. With my visa I have to do three months of regional work and I just finished two weeks ago on a farm in Ballina but I couldn't earn a lot of money and I have to pay for a lot of things here." - because it was one of those thieving farmer scams where they pay you frig all then take out accommodation, travel, food, air. these crims should be stopped!

..."The 3 months of regional work did not allow me to put money away from the dishonesty of my employer."

The final piece of the puzzle for the Brisbane Broncos’ premiership tilt in 2020 is set to be filled after reports that the club is poised to sign Melbourne Storm halfback Brodie Croft.

The Courier-Mail reported on Friday night that the Broncos could announce the signature of Croft as soon as Monday, pending the No.7 gaining a release from the Storm at the weekend.

The "final piece"

hahahahahahahahaha

This Silvertail had his otherwise idyllic 3 day holiday day marred and will remain scarred for life by witnessing the sight of bald headed gimp Toddie emerging from the surf at Noosa main beach yesterday :tmi::sick:

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4