Garrick --> Suli

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Agree Maxta that Des will be doing his best to get him fit but I just don’t see an underlying skill set and aggressive attitude to complement his size. That’s not enough at this level.
Look at Mitchell. Big big man but oozed talent even when he was carrying the puppy fat of youth.Being overweight should not hide all your skills.Look at Mitchell’s brother also. 150kg at one stage and managed to get a top 30 berth as they could see the skills.
And I’m hoping beyond hope if he gets a run it’s on the wing.

Last edited:
I’ve got no doubt Suli was a star as a young guy and attracted big money as a result .... he was also 110 kg playing against kids.Steamroller in a comp not known for his defence.

Now he is playing against men..

So what are the skills he brings to the game?

I have not seen a step of any note, he has no passing game AT ALL,not slow but hardly a speedster,can’t see the agility to do the flying antics of rapana and co around the corner post, is indecisive and often caught out in defence and hardly a gun under the high ball.Throw in a history of laziness.
As another poster said, he has also scored a paltry 3 tries in 30 games of NRL.
You often see guys playing first grade well overweight like Suli yet you still get glimpses of their skills. Eg Craigee , Kasiano, Rose, Idris etc I don’t see much on show from our young giant and playing overweight should not entirely cloak your skill set.

So what will make him a star against men. Interesting to hear people’s views on this. Can maybe see him as a passable winger with decent metres out of our own end but must admit I can’t buy into the hype. What will make this guy reach the heights many on here predict? Just don’t see it.

I would go one further , if Walker gets to play , and barring injuries the best he might see this year is BWSE.

But knowing our penchant for injuries he’ll be starting Centre no doubt.

• 🤝
Reactions: Sue
Walker and Garrick have potential to be a potent force. I can see us doing pretty well out wide if Walker sees some game time.Garrick looks an athlete and from the few games I’ve seen him play has the step , speed and passing game that Suli doesn’t seem to possess.Skills you need when you step up a grade. Bulldozing ain’t enough.

But Garrick needs an experienced partner. Elliot or Suli on the other side of the field and trouble looms.

I’ve got no doubt Suli was a star as a young guy and attracted big money as a result .... he was also 110 kg playing against kids.Steamroller in a comp not known for his defence.

Now he is playing against men..

So what are the skills he brings to the game?

I have not seen a step of any note, he has no passing game AT ALL,not slow but hardly a speedster,can’t see the agility to do the flying antics of rapana and co around the corner post, is indecisive and often caught out in defence and hardly a gun under the high ball.Throw in a history of laziness.
As another poster said, he has also scored a paltry 3 tries in 30 games of NRL.
You often see guys playing first grade well overweight like Suli yet you still get glimpses of their skills. Eg Craigee , Kasiano, Rose, Idris etc I don’t see much on show from our young giant and playing overweight should not entirely cloak your skill set.

So what will make him a star against men. Interesting to hear people’s views on this. Can maybe see him as a passable winger with decent metres out of our own end but must admit I can’t buy into the hype. What will make this guy reach the heights many on here predict? Just don’t see it.
I can see the logic in everything you are saying and I wouldn't be surprised if you turned out to be correct.

However, to answer the hypothetical question you posed...

If (and it's a big if) he does reach his potential it will be because of the following:
1. He gets fit and stays fit
2. He is played in the correct position of winger
3. He is actually good under the high ball (showed this in his development through the grades)
4. He is really hard to stop when heading for the corner (a la Taufua)
5. He is excellent at making yards around the ruck.

In short, he could be a very handy winger.

I can see the logic in everything you are saying and I wouldn't be surprised if you turned out to be correct.

However, to answer the hypothetical question you posed...

If (and it's a big if) he does reach his potential it will be because of the following:
1. He gets fit and stays fit
2. He is played in the correct position of winger
3. He is actually good under the high ball (showed this in his development through the grades)
4. He is really hard to stop when heading for the corner (a la Taufua)
5. He is excellent at making yards around the ruck.

In short, he could be a very handy winger.
Yep. I am just hoping that’s what they are thinking in regards to a wing position.I suppose Dylan holds the key to all this.

Last edited:
Our pack is a good one, up there with the best in the NRL and provided they stay at least relatively healthy will go a long way to improving our competitiveness. Our halves should be a force. We have the current Aussie test halfback and LG will be hungry to prove he has what it takes.

The problems start in the backs. In all reality only Tom would be a walk up start in any other NRL side, including the Chooks (Edit: they may have Tedesco, but if you think Robinson wouldn't put Tom straight into his centres or on the wing.....think again). Truth be told, Walker would be too if there wasn't a big legal cloud hanging over his head.

Jorge Taufua may be very hard to stop from close range, and his runs from the back can be quality if he holds on to the ball. But his defence is hit and miss while everyone knows that he is not fast for a winger, his hands in general play are suspect at best and he is woeful under a high kick.

Brad Parker hasn't exactly set the rugby league world alight with his performances in first grade, while his game in the last round of 2018 against Brisbane was nothing short of a total disaster. Last year he didn't improve, in fact, he went backwards IMO.

Suli is only 20 and is at his 3rd club in 2 years, having already gained a reputation for being lazy both in games and with his attitude to training. In all reality, Manly is probably his last chance, at least in the NRL. But like Parker, he hasn't exactly shown a lot that says he should be an automatic selection either at centre or on the wing.

Of the rest, the next choices would probably be Garrick, Elliot and Funa, all relative unknowns who have struggled to crack it for a first grade spot up until now.

I tend to agree with @Sue . If Dylan Walker doesn't play then our backline is easily the weakest in the NRL, even if Turbo plays his best week in, week out. Walker playing won't solve all of our backline problems, but having him there makes us better than not having him.

Last edited:
Here's a lil footage of Garrick from ISP last year.. sidenote: will defs be in my SC team if he makes the starting 13.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1289957401154087&id=150881798394992
Finally a winger with speed. And can throw a beautiful inside ball at full tilt and hitJake on the chest (and just think about that for a minute also...Jake....super stats, second half, and he’s backing up the quickest bloke in the side!).
We may have lost, but there were plenty of positives from the kids tonight.

Finally a winger with speed. And can throw a beautiful inside ball at full tilt and hitJake on the chest (and just think about that for a minute also...Jake....super stats, second half, and he’s backing up the quickest bloke in the side!).
We may have lost, but there were plenty of positives from the kids tonight.
Absolutely! And don’t move Garrick to Centre let the combination with Moses build. There have been good moments with this combo in both games so far in terrible conditions. Really liked that ball Suli gave to Garrick to send him away.

Absolutely! And don’t move Garrick to Centre let the combination with Moses build. There have been good moments with this combo in both games so far in terrible conditions. Really liked that ball Suli gave to Garrick to send him away.
Agree combo looks ok.... but it leaves Parker and Tafua on the left which is a nightmare.

Suli was awful for 40 last night and damaging when Fainu got the backs some space in the second half.He can be a force I think.

We need a backline which is some combination of Tom Suli Garrick Walker( if available ), Hoppa ( later) with Funa and Anderson waiting for a shot.
That has the potential to threaten good sides. The run on 1 to 5 right now wouldn’t threaten a netball side.Its embarrassing.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2