Fullback during origin

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

Who would you pick at fullback while Tom is out for origin?

• Total voters
I think the fact that us as supporters are all split on this decision and Des has used 4 different fullbacks (Elliot, Garrick, Funa, Walker) while Tom’s out in the last two seasons highlights how big of an issue this is.

For mine, Elliot was the best fill-in we’ve had. He was fairly safe under the high ball, decent defensively, had the odd attacking play where he split the line, and we actually won a few games while he was back there.

Not sure letting him go was the best call seeing he would’ve been on a cheap deal.

I think the fact that us as supporters are all split on this decision and Des has used 4 different fullbacks (Elliot, Garrick, Funa, Walker) while Tom’s out in the last two seasons highlights how big of an issue this is.

For mine, Elliot was the best fill-in we’ve had. He was fairly safe under the high ball, decent defensively, had the odd attacking play where he split the line, and we actually won a few games while he was back there.

Not sure letting him go was the best call seeing he would’ve been on a cheap deal.
Yeah I never got the Elliott hate... sure he was not Tom but who is?

Not the most potent attacker but read the play really well and was a solid FB imo...

Hearing Shane Flanagan say that Walker is positionally non existent at fullback in both attack and defence it just can't be him! Garrick has had a few stints there when Tutbo went off early so looks likely to be him and he is growing in confidence and will do a job, only problem is he's not a ball playing fullback.
Could move Harper but as others have said id be hesitant to change that right edge.
As for Weekes I am still not sold BUT I hope I am proven wrong on this one. Although I am judging him on playing in the halves not fullback so he might be a much better player back there but I personally would not be throwing a young rookie to the wolves.
Smokey is Funa who seemed to do a decent job when used there last year but does lack any genuine pace.

Hearing Shane Flanagan say that Walker is positionally non existent at fullback in both attack and defence it just can't be him! Garrick has had a few stints there when Tutbo went off early so looks likely to be him and he is growing in confidence and will do a job, only problem is he's not a ball playing fullback.
Could move Harper but as others have said id be hesitant to change that right edge.
As for Weekes I am still not sold BUT I hope I am proven wrong on this one. Although I am judging him on playing in the halves not fullback so he might be a much better player back there but I personally would not be throwing a young rookie to the wolves.
Smokey is Funa who seemed to do a decent job when used there last year but does lack any genuine pace.
Agree with everything.
The most important thing we need out of a "Tom at SOO" replacement is organising the defence. Points are easier to score in the new game but harder to defend. We can score points elsewhere but defence will win us games.

I think everyones gone harsh on Walker - we were getting flogged early, any fill in for Tommy would be an outright write-off for the fan base.

The fact is he still has the best ball skills of all the options listed, bar maybe Kaeo Weekes which would be an awesome thing to fill in.

He won’t be giving a run to tuipolutu or koula if he has Walker, Suli out of the starting side. One of them will get a spot on the top 5 and hence it makes sense for Walker to go back there again

Harper has been great but he strikes me as a centre and just a centre. His draw and pass for Saab is pretty decent but having the arsenal of cut outs & chiming in is something yet to be seem and an area where Walker, despite his form, still out does him.

I think everyones gone harsh on Walker - we were getting flogged early, any fill in for Tommy would be an outright write-off for the fan base.

The fact is he still has the best ball skills of all the options listed, bar maybe Kaeo Weekes which would be an awesome thing to fill in.

He won’t be giving a run to tuipolutu or koula if he has Walker, Suli out of the starting side. One of them will get a spot on the top 5 and hence it makes sense for Walker to go back there again

Harper has been great but he strikes me as a centre and just a centre. His draw and pass for Saab is pretty decent but having the arsenal of cut outs & chiming in is something yet to be seem and an area where Walker, despite his form, still out does him.
agree, everyone was lame without tommy, and now everyone is a superstar with tommy. why do we think this may not apply to walker and suli.

I've only just stopped drinking after Sunday's win, but why wouldn't Schuster be an option for #1 fullback if Foran is back from injury?

In attack the fullbacks today mostly play as a second 5/8th. So that's a clear tick in favour. He also can kick the ball a long way. In defence he seems to have safe hands under the high ball and is strong enough tackler, with my only doubt being his speed across the ground.

I guess it also depends on who replaces DCE at #7. Des will probably go with Foran #7 and Schuster #6.

Think that a Harper move to one can be ruled out . Walker maybe not out of the equation , doesn 't like playing there but would think that he really should have something more to offer there then he showed earlier in the season . Funa has played very little footy recently , certainly had a go there last season , probably just a maybe . Could just revert to Garrick . Really need more higher level footy and experience from the likes of Koula and Weekes before they would probably come into calculations there but maybe not too far off . Buggered if i know really but nothing would surprise me outside of Harper being picked there

Harper, Garrick and Saab all playing great footy in their respective positions so I would not be meddling with that recipe. We have all seen Dylan play fullback and even his most ardent supporters would be looking at our other options. I think Des will get a real good look at those other options this Sunday with Kaeo, Funa and Tolu all in the reserves side playing the Knights. Some good young options right there.

Moving Harper to fullback would mean ... Suli back in at right centre. Saab would be catching more colds again than quality ball from his centre because Suli doesn't like passing. Not a great use of arguably one of the top two fastest players in the game.....

No matter who we put at fullback, the attacking potency of the side goes way down because not one of the players we have is the attacking threat from back there that Turbo is. If you ever watch him closely, Turbo is there on just about every attacking run we do. Even if he isn't going to get the ball, just his presence draws defenders to him and opens it up for others. Someone else at fullback for Manly is always going to remove that regardless who it is. And IMO our defense would suffer just as much because none of them, not Garrick, not Saab, not Harper or Funa is the organiser back there that Turbo is.

TBH I picked moving Reubs back there just to give Tuipulotu a run for a game or two on the wing. Hopefully Turbo comes back from Origin none the worst for wear and we just pick up from right where we were.

Last edited:

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10