Forwards

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
So you're saying we play low % footy, is that against the top 3. The games that we have won easily I would say that we would of played high % footy, barring some of the closer wins of course.
I reckon we always play low % footy. You look at our best wins and we scored heaps of points from inside our own half; in fact, the most of any team in the competition. We only had a completion rate over 80% on 4 occasions all season. We rarely forced repeat sets. I don't remember us building pressure constantly. I just remember a lot of spectacular tries to torch the also rans before coming undone against the quality sides who covered our shifts comfortably. We made mistakes galore trying to play this style against Melbourne and Souths. It's clearly a problem when you go sideways constantly and try and score from your own end most sets of six. It's not finals footy and we've been shown up. Bash it up the middle, kick long, line speed. That's how you win finals. We've got enough attacking brilliance in the side, that when the opportunities come, we'll convert them into points. We don't need to throw the ball around to break up opposition defences because we have an abundance of natural point scoring ability in this squad.

To be honest i feel like we have "the cattle" to at least hold our own in the forwards. Agree we don't have an enforcer type but our prop rotation is made up of some very good first grade standard players.

It really disappoints me that we couldn't get on top of the Souths forwards....while Murray is a gun none of the others are particularly frightening. Can we really not get on top of Mark Nicholls et al? Obviously we couldn't ... I'm blaming the game plan and the acceptance of lower percentage plays and lack of respect for the ball which permeated over the whole season.

To be honest i feel like we have "the cattle" to at least hold our own in the forwards. Agree we don't have an enforcer type but our prop rotation is made up of some very good first grade standard players.

It really disappoints me that we couldn't get on top of the Souths forwards....while Murray is a gun none of the others are particularly frightening. Can we really not get on top of Mark Nicholls et al?
Yeah Murray gets great play-the-balls and Kalomatagi is pretty handy but the rest are just honest first graders. On paper, we have a better side. Trouble is, they played with composure and experience, we didn't.

I reckon we always play low % footy. You look at our best wins and we scored heaps of points from inside our own half; in fact, the most of any team in the competition. We only had a completion rate over 80% on 4 occasions all season. We rarely forced repeat sets. I don't remember us building pressure constantly. I just remember a lot of spectacular tries to torch the also rans before coming undone against the quality sides who covered our shifts comfortably. We made mistakes galore trying to play this style against Melbourne and Souths. It's clearly a problem when you go sideways constantly and try and score from your own end most sets of six. It's not finals footy and we've been shown up. Bash it up the middle, kick long, line speed. That's how you win finals. We've got enough attacking brilliance in the side, that when the opportunities come, we'll convert them into points. We don't need to throw the ball around to break up opposition defences because we have an abundance of natural point scoring ability in this squad.
I agree with a lot of your assessment especially when playing the top 3, shame we couldn't of put this into practice last night. We were starved of possession and it only got worse as the game went on, only towards the end when we had a 5min window of decent ball, did we show what could of been.

Yeah Murray gets great play-the-balls and Kalomatagi is pretty handy but the rest are just honest first graders. On paper, we have a better side. Trouble is, they played with composure and experience, we didn't.

It really disappoints me that we couldn't get on top of the Souths forwards....while Murray is a gun none of the others are particularly frightening. Can we really not get on top of Mark Nicholls et al? Obviously we couldn't ... I'm blaming the game plan and the acceptance of lower percentage plays and lack of respect for the ball which permeated over the whole season.
I wonder what would of happened if Souths had 15 errors and had the 6agains and penalties go against them also....mmm ?

I wonder what would of happened if Souths had 15 errors and had the 6agains and penalties go against them also....mmm ?
The reality is we led the league in errors all year and gave away a heap of 6 agains all year..so what was your point?

Paseka
So, is that a Des thing or a player thing ??

So you're saying we play low % footy, is that against the top 3. The games that we have won easily I would say that we would of played high % footy, barring some of the closer wins of course.
We have the worst completion and the most errors this year out of all 16 teams in the comp. We've played low % footy all year.

The side is young and lacks resilience. When momentum went against us after the Keppie drop ball, some unfortunate bounces of the ball anf even more unfortunate refereeing, a side like Melbourne would have showed patience and fought their way back into the contest. We, instead, rushed things, lacked discipline and kept on digging the hole until it was too big too crawl out from. I’ve been a big fan of DCE all season but in the games against the Storm and Rabbitohs he has contributed to the panic, rather than playing with the required patience to keep us in the game until momentum swings back our way.

I know he has had his injuries, but so disappointed in the season from Aloiai. I was expecting a beast from some of his performances I thought I had seen. Probably, it's not that hard to be a standout at the tigers. Not a fan of Aaron Woods either but he might have and could have been better.. Really, really, not impressed with his first season.
He was good at times making tough yards, but was a liability at times too. Bad hands and a penalty magnet. Last night was a good example. We need disciplined performances out of him.

Yeah, the game was over by the time he got the 10 minutes- but you could see it coming. Lacks the bulk probably to be a real enforcer and tries to make up for it with dumb aggression

What I don't understand is he talks the talk in all his interviews but doesn't walk it. Also he has looked like a mummy all season what's with all the tape around the knee etc?!
oh gee he was one of our best forwards early in the year and I think he was still pretty good late in the year. He is not a forward to do 50 tackles - he needs the ball - we only had 35% in the first half - again what do you expect of him when we dont have the ball?

oh gee he was one of our best forwards early in the year and I think he was still pretty good late in the year. He is not a forward to do 50 tackles - he needs the ball - we only had 35% in the first half - again what do you expect of him when we dont have the ball?
No stupid pointless penalties/sin binnings as a start? Sin binned twice this year from memory and suspended twice... not great when he hasn't played many games to begin with?

A few won’t like some of these comments but bad luck.

I love Marty but I’m starting to think his best days are over , don’t think he frightens anyone these days.

I’ve had to eat humble pie with Croker BUT I still can’t see us winning a premiership with him as the main man.

The jury is out on Josh A, he was good at times but he’s guilty of discretions which is hurting.

Guaca , this kid could be anything , IMO our best forward this year.

No need to comment on Curtis he’s gone anyway.

Jake , never stops trying and is a ball player so part of the team moving forward.

Paseka , I’m not convinced , big but not in any way does he dominate his opposition, just lumbers up, gains a metre or two and that’s it!

Sipley , didn’t get much of a run , can’t say I’m a huge fan.

Walker , redesigned as a 14, probably stays there.

Lawton, did ok , backstop for Croker.

Fainu , not part of the team so needs to be ignored.

Davey , not enough game time to comment.

Just putting it out there that I doubt this combination is strong enough to get us much further than we did this year.

Bullemor will add to the team , but I’m not sure enough to take us to the next level.

These guys have done well , 4th and playing for a GF spot is commendable BUT as to taking it one or two steps further , I dunno.

A few won’t like some of these comments but bad luck.

I love Marty but I’m starting to think his best days are over , don’t think he frightens anyone these days.

I’ve had to eat humble pie with Croker BUT I still can’t see us winning a premiership with him as the main man.

The jury is out on Josh A, he was good at times but he’s guilty of discretions which is hurting.

Guaca , this kid could be anything , IMO our best forward this year.

No need to comment on Curtis he’s gone anyway.

Jake , never stops trying and is a ball player so part of the team moving forward.

Paseka , I’m not convinced , big but not in any way does he dominate his opposition, just lumbers up, gains a metre or two and that’s it!

Sipley , didn’t get much of a run , can’t say I’m a huge fan.

Walker , redesigned as a 14, probably stays there.

Lawton, did ok , backstop for Croker.

Fainu , not part of the team so needs to be ignored.

Davey , not enough game time to comment.

Just putting it out there that I doubt this combination is strong enough to get us much further than we did this year.

Bullemor will add to the team , but I’m not sure enough to take us to the next level.

These guys have done well , 4th and playing for a GF spot is commendable BUT as to taking it one or two steps further , I dunno.

Good summation Mark. Paseka is starting to remind me of the extinct TREX. Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane. Still only young I hope I am proved wrong.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8