Elliott

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
He was safe enough taking kicks, but where was he when Wighton scored the first try?

Wighton should never had that much room to run with no fullback being there in cover.

Watching the replay check the play the ball was centerfield, and he makes the break only 2 off the ruck ( at most). Did Elliot go the wrong way at fullback when the ball was played? He doesn’t come into shot chasing until the try is about to be scored. A fullback would have at least challenged in cover defence if he had been in position at the play the ball.

Edit: maybe he had made a tackle in the lead up ? I recall the break prior was based on a suli error, so maybe he was out of position because of that.

I think the development he's shown since just round 1 is huge. He is looking really safe under the high ball, he's looking more and more dangerous when running the ball, and he's starting to be more confident as a ball player. I think in the space of 5 minutes against the Raiders he returned a kick and put Jorge through with a great ball, then in the next set he took a nice offload and quickly passed it off to Fainu who made a line break. Great acquisition!

Love this sort of player. He won’t make any highlight reels but is reliable. He is also fast enough, can pass and likes to get involved.

The guy is a centre/winger,I could be wrong but I don't think he has played fullback before (at NRL level at least) apart from training there this offseason.To have done as well as he has and to continue to improve is impressive,I don't think people should be too critical of a few mistakes he is making that I am sure he and others are working on...Sorry self edit,he played 7 games for Knights at fullback....Point is that he has little experience and is obviously working on his game.

Last edited:
They are probably his only 10 tackle busts for the season - hasn't scored a try yet and can't remember a line break prior to Sunday either. Doubt he has a try assist either yet. He is doing his best and you can't knock him for that - but these days fullback is such a key attacking role we need more from him than just Safety Sam at the back. He tends to get physically dominated too easily for my liking. He's probably got at least another 3-4 weeks filling in for Tommy so hopefully he can start to develop more of the attacking part of his game. I suspect that Des has probably changed the attack game plan when Turbo is out so we don't rely on the fullback as second playmaker - so he may be limited with opportunity.

Anyway he is probably a step up on what we had as fullback cover last year so I can't really complain too loudly

They are probably his only 10 tackle busts for the season - hasn't scored a try yet and can't remember a line break prior to Sunday either. Doubt he has a try assist either yet. He is doing his best and you can't knock him for that - but these days fullback is such a key attacking role we need more from him than just Safety Sam at the back. He tends to get physically dominated too easily for my liking. He's probably got at least another 3-4 weeks filling in for Tommy so hopefully he can start to develop more of the attacking part of his game. I suspect that Des has probably changed the attack game plan when Turbo is out so we don't rely on the fullback as second playmaker - so he may be limited with opportunity.

Anyway he is probably a step up on what we had as fullback cover last year so I can't really complain too loudly

I clearly remember one line break - against the Tigers at 2-0 in the first round when he had an unmarked winger outside to draw and pass the fullback and he went himself...and then the game went South real quick.

But overall I agree with the general vibe on this bloke - honest trier does his job and won't let you down too much. Every team need them.

I clearly remember one line break - against the Tigers at 2-0 in the first round when he had an unmarked winger outside to draw and pass the fullback and he went himself...and then the game went South real quick.

But overall I agree with the general vibe on this bloke - honest trier does his job and won't let you down too much. Every team need them.

Yeah if he had of went left then Parker would have been in to score. It was a good line break in his first game though

I have been very impressed with both Garrick and Elliot. It feels like we have proper depth in the outside backs again!
I would go with cover rather than depth, for mine we're still thin on the ground for depth of outside backs (and that's not for one minute knocking any of the lads who have covered)

Manly superstar's absence turbo charges Elliot's career
SMH - By Sam Phillips and Adrian Proszenko
April 30, 2019 — 8.30pm

Tom Trbojevic may be one of, if not the most, valuable player on Manly's list but filling the hole he has left in the Sea Eagles' spine is just another challenge on another day for Brendan Elliot.

Elliot had overcome his fair share of adversity before finally finding an NRL home in Manly, winning just 10 of his 43 NRL games at three clubs over a five-year span.

He made his debut in 2014 for the Roosters and spent two more years at Bondi Junction before signing with Newcastle in the middle of the 2016 season.

He sung the Knights team song just once in his 22 appearances for the club between the end of 2016 and the end of 2017.

Searching for a fresh start, he made a move north and played for the Titans just three times in 2018, never stepping into the winners' circle.

Desperate to prove he could make the grade, Elliot flew across the world at the end of last season to take part in England's tier-two competition, The Championship.

That deal then fell over and Des Hasler came calling.

Some may have been intimidated by the task in trying to fill the hole left by Trbojevic

But Elliot is just happy to have finally found his rugby league home.

After a few nervous moments in the controversial loss to the Dragons, Manly fans were shown a glimpse of his attacking prowess against the Raiders.

Story continues at link: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ma...-charges-elliot-s-career-20190430-p51iq6.html

Manly superstar's absence turbo charges Elliot's career
SMH - By Sam Phillips and Adrian Proszenko
April 30, 2019 — 8.30pm

Tom Trbojevic may be one of, if not the most, valuable player on Manly's list but filling the hole he has left in the Sea Eagles' spine is just another challenge on another day for Brendan Elliot.

Elliot had overcome his fair share of adversity before finally finding an NRL home in Manly, winning just 10 of his 43 NRL games at three clubs over a five-year span.

He made his debut in 2014 for the Roosters and spent two more years at Bondi Junction before signing with Newcastle in the middle of the 2016 season.

He sung the Knights team song just once in his 22 appearances for the club between the end of 2016 and the end of 2017.

Searching for a fresh start, he made a move north and played for the Titans just three times in 2018, never stepping into the winners' circle.

Desperate to prove he could make the grade, Elliot flew across the world at the end of last season to take part in England's tier-two competition, The Championship.

That deal then fell over and Des Hasler came calling.

Some may have been intimidated by the task in trying to fill the hole left by Trbojevic

But Elliot is just happy to have finally found his rugby league home.

After a few nervous moments in the controversial loss to the Dragons, Manly fans were shown a glimpse of his attacking prowess against the Raiders.

Story continues at link: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ma...-charges-elliot-s-career-20190430-p51iq6.html

Des Hasler!

Elliott will probably turn into a good centre. His display against the Raiders showed a composed, heads-up player, able to see weaknesses in the opposition line. Seems to be able to pass well left and right, and to set up his winger or inside runner. Won’t be a world beater but has a lot of the attributes that made Killer great. The full back only has to be the key-stone of the attack if you choose to play that way. Our win against the Raiders came off the back of good ball play by our forwards - particularly Marty and Corey - and good backing up by Froggy and Manase.

• 🤝
Reactions: Sue

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8