Pre-Game Eels v Manly [Round 11, 2022]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
GAME ON! Head over to the Game Thread!

V

22 20
CommBank Stadium
20 May 2022 07:55 PM

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can beat any team if we go set for set against them .It is our errors whether it is a dropped ball ,silly penalty , six again or a missed tackle that makes our team deflated ( or a bad call by the ref .).Best players come back stronger and harder after he commits an error in a game .They deserve the criticism for their performances so far but they can only get better and it is still a long season . I was there last year when the MAAAANNNLY call from the supporters was loud and clear .Let's hear it again on Friday night .
Very true, we handed the ball back to the Broncs 21 times via the error route, nock on's, penalties and 6 agains, that's criminal.

What I'm expecting from Brad Arthur and the Eels this weekend - if his team selection is anything to go by:

The Eels forwards and bench are huge. Unusually in this modern age of '6 again' calls and quick play the balls, the Eels have decided not to have a smaller utility on the bench that can cover hooker/ halves / backs in case of injury or being gassed, but to have 4 big forwards as interchange players instead. So they want to have a rotation of 100 to 120+ kg human missiles coming at us for most of this game.

What we can expect: a compressed Eels defence, with our opposition hoping for / expecting a heavy type of track (and it does look like rain). They will want to belt our forwards in attack and defense, an area that they suspect Manly is weak in, based on recent performances. They will try to grind out good field position, put in kicks behind our line close to the try line and attempt to wear us out with line drop outs and lack of possession. If the field is heavy, kicks may sit up in the in goal more.

Our response has to be a combination of what the Eels don't want, and what they can't do as well.

We need to fix our line speed in attack and defense, and get the '6 again' calls going our way. A 'fast' game in the wet is difficult in terms of passing and ball-handling - but we just have to be faster than them, not silly.

If many of their players are huge boppers, it may be difficult for them to turn and chase, particularly late in each half. Kicks / grubbers in behind the defense (where their halves and Gutho are not nearby) may yield good results. The X-factor of Schuster (and Walker) off the bench could be a masterstroke if he's introduced at a time when we can get on the front foot - not when we're already on the back foot. We have a ton more creativity on our bench than the Eels - this could decide this game, and avoid an arm-wrestle, which we don't want.

The smarter we play on Friday, the less gassed our forwards will be, and the higher our chance of winning.

Last edited:
I think body language is one of Tom’s weaknesses. When the ball went out from the kick off, he started sulking. It’s 10 seconds into the game. A quick “sorry boys, let’s dig in” instead of looking like he is about cry, would be much better.

As good as Tom was last year, he can mope around and have a poor game when the going gets tough.

I think Pappy, Tedesco, and Latrell are in front of Tom because the difference between their best and worst game are much closer. Tom is too inconsistent.
I 100% agree that this is one of Tom’s major weaknesses. He needs to mask his feelings better and get on with it. His facial expressions and demeanour impact both his team mates and the opposition.
As far as the difference between best and worst games goes I agree on the first two but I think Mitchell is firmly in the same bucket as Tommy.

What I'm expecting from Brad Arthur and the Eels this weekend - if his team selection is anything to go by:

The Eels forwards and bench are huge. Unusually in this modern age of '6 again' calls and quick play the balls, the Eels have decided not to have a smaller utility on the bench that can cover hooker/ halves / backs in case of injury or being gassed, but to have 4 big forwards as interchange players instead. So they want to have a rotation of 100 to 120+ kg human missiles coming at us for most of this game.

What we can expect: a compressed Eels defence, with our opposition hoping for / expecting a heavy type of track (and it does look like rain). They will want to belt our forwards in attack and defense, an area that they suspect Manly is weak in, based on recent performances. They will try to grind out good field position, put in kicks behind our line close to the try line and attempt to wear us out with line drop outs and lack of possession. If the field is heavy, kicks may sit up in the in goal more.

Our response has to be a combination of what the Eels don't want, and what they can't do as well.

We need to fix our line speed in attack and defense, and get the '6 again' calls going our way. A 'fast' game in the wet is difficult in terms of passing and ball-handling - but we just have to be faster then them, not silly.

If many of their players are huge boppers, it may be difficult for them to turn and chase, particularly late in each half. Kicks / grubbers in behind the defense (where their halves and Gutho are not nearby) may yield good results. The X-factor of Schuster (and Walker) off the bench could be a masterstroke if he's introduced at a time when we can get on the front foot - not when we're already on the back foot. We have a ton more creativity on our bench than the Eels - this could decide this game, and avoid an arm-wrestle, which we don't want.

The smarter we play on Friday, the less gassed our forwards will be, and the higher our chance of winning.
Great analysis, BB. But I'm very worried about our ability to play "smarter".

We need to fix our line speed in attack and defense, and get the '6 again' calls going our way. A 'fast' game in the wet is difficult in terms of passing and ball-handling - but we just have to be faster then them, not silly.

The rain could be our friend on Friday, could be an errorathon, hopefully it wont be us this time.

Don't know what to make of Turbo's headspace atm, but his body language here doesn't look good. Seems agitated/stressed about something. Hopefully I'm just reading into it too much

I am not sure he will play.

Weekes into replace him.

The issue this week isn’t the eels, they are a known quantity. The game will be decided on how well or badly manly plays.

I 100% agree that this is one of Tom’s major weaknesses. He needs to mask his feelings better and get on with it. His facial expressions and demeanour impact both his team mates and the opposition.
As far as the difference between best and worst games goes I agree on the first two but I think Mitchell is firmly in the same bucket as Tommy.
I’ve seen Latrell have quiet games but I’ve never seen him have a shocker with drop balls and get physically belted by the opposition defence. Tom on the other hand...

Captain's Run - looks like 'focus on the forwards' week
1652932659846.png

1652932694784.png

1652932729968.png

1652932765653.png

O

Don't know what to make of Turbo's headspace atm, but his body language here doesn't look good. Seems agitated/stressed about something. Hopefully I'm just reading into it too much
I agree. He looks very uncomfortable with the head scratching etc. I know he’s never been a brilliant performer in front of the camera but this is particularly odd even for him.

O

I agree. He looks very uncomfortable with the head scratching etc. I know he’s never been a brilliant performer in front of the camera but this is particularly odd even for him.
You are correct. He looked discombobulated. He twice used the excuse: "it is what it is" which is something that has never made sense to me.

O

Maybe he’s just annoyed with the same ole same ole questioning of Manly’s premiership credentials. The team cops it week in week out not only from the media but supporters as well. The boys are not playing well right now but having to read all the bs in the papers, on the news & in here would be annoying. We as supporters are weak as pi$$…instead of supporting we rubbish individual players & the team as a whole. Not good…..I’m critical as the next person but at the end of the day I’d never dream of supporting any other team & I’ll follow them, cheer them no matter what.

Maybe he’s just annoyed with the same ole same ole questioning of Manly’s premiership credentials. The team cops it week in week out not only from the media but supporters as well. The boys are not playing well right now but having to read all the bs in the papers, on the news & in here would be annoying. We as supporters are weak as pi$$…instead of supporting we rubbish individual players & the team as a whole. Not good…..I’m critical as the next person but at the end of the day I’d never dream of supporting any other team & I’ll follow them, cheer them no matter what.
I think we're trying to see something that's not really there tbh, he'd rather play than talk to footy media reporters about his leg, Manly losing or how we're going to approach the game. That's not his go...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8