Eels Done For Massive Salary Cap Breach

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
NRL chief executive Dave Smith says Parramatta were repeatedly warned they were in danger of breaching the salary cap last year but ignored that advice, leaving the governing body no alternative but to issue them with a heavy sanction on Thursday.

....To ignore the advice after being repeatedly warned is a disgrace, and they should be docked the points...not "if" as toothless smith has said.

$525k is a let off imo.

Will any of it be 'suspended?'

THE PARRAMATTA Eels face losing four competition points in 2016 if the club doesn’t overhaul it’s current salary cap practices.

The club was issued with a $525,000 fine as well as the threat of losing competition points for salary cap breaches in 2013 and 2014.

The points will be deducted in 2016 pending an independent review of the club’s governance and organisational capabilities.

To avoid the loss of competition points the Eels must also implement any recommendations of the review.

In a statement, NRL CEO Dave Smith said the salary cap breaches by the Eels were significant and showed a lack of oversight by administrators at the club.

The Eels overspent in each of the four salary caps categories in 2014 by:

NRL TOP 25 : $101,718

NRL 2ND TIER: $233,036

NYC TOP 20: $60, 915

NYC 2ND TIR: $8,277

Benefits given to players by the Parramatta Leagues Club in 2013 were also identified as a breach of the salary cap.

The NRL has confirmed this morning the Eels have been under investigation for several months.

It relates to their salary cap last year and having to pay players who were cut by previous coach Ricky Stuart.

Among those who were forced out include Reni Maitua, Matt Keating and Cheyse Blair.

It is believed the club is still paying part of their contracts.

It is understood that the Eels salary cap breaches go back as far as 2009, the year the club made the NRL grand final.

The Daily Telegraph understands they only came to light when football manager Daniel Anderson joined the club and noticed some discrepancies.

The salary cap breaches will raise question marks on how the club was able to sign Anthony Watmough, Kieran Foran and Beau Scott in the last six months although they did lose Jarryd Hayne.

The Eels were put on notice of the breaches at the beginning of the year after an off-season audit of their books.

Remarkably the club still wants Sharks fullback Michael Gordon in a mid-season transfer.

“I called him a couple of days ago just to make sure he was okay,” said Eels coach Brad Arthur said.

“I just wanted to reassure him that if he can make the move over here, we’re still willing to have him. But my main concern was that he was not in a good headspace.

“He said he’s struggling a little bit. But he’s a pretty strong kid, in the dealings I’ve had with him. I think he’ll be okay.”

The Eels have tabled a deal for Gordon until the end of 2016, however Arthur insists the club could be forced to look elsewhere for a fullback.

“I think he’s still hopeful. We’re still hopeful. But it’s getting to the stage where, it’s nine days (sic) now until the deadline’s up,” he said.

“If we can’t get anything sorted between now and then, we’ll obviously need to get a fullback moving forward for next year.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...-of-up-to-500000/story-e6frf3tc-1227362519158

Wow breaches accross all 4 levels of salary cap. That is bad.

Yeah a 525K fine is getting off lightly.

I guess they could start 2016 on -4 points, have fun with that Foz.

With them throwing the chequebook around, they are going to have start offloading players.

Which means they will have a pretty poor roster, with a aging second rower and a 5/8 who is always breaking down.

$525,000 fine... probably the amount Sandow & Hindmarsh have put through the Parra Leagues pokies.

They must be paying massive overs for a lot of players. They have close to the worst backline in the comp and a bunch of young forwards. At least when Storm, Dogs and even Warriors got done they were up the top and made it worthwhile. I can understand Choc & Foz wanting to leave our drama filled management but I honestly think they have picked a bigger joke to join management wise and definitely performance wise.

I assume that the amount they are over is going to be deducted from next years salary cap for a starters. Surely that is imperative otherwise they have got away with just a spanking. With less money to play around with they will have to let go players to get under the new cap that should be imposed on them. If that doesnt happen its a joke.

Big deal, aren't we still paying some of Chocs wages this year??? We still no how much we can spend, why don't they,....They have cheated and got away lightly ..... NRL again shows no balls

There's no way they are under the cap this year or next. Every player they have discarded they are paying more for the replacement.

However, smith said as far as the nrl is aware they are within the cap this year. This says to me that they've put it in the too hard basket to wipe a team off the comp for two years.

But hang on, aren't they supposed to be winning two premierships over the next four years, according to their CEO Scott Sewer?.

Fark me, Dave Smith says they found NO evidence of cheating........what the **** is $400k over the salary cap over 2 years, then you idiot...The sooner this d1ckhead gets @rseholed from running this game the better off we will all be.

Last edited:
Just goes to show, class is bred not arsed or cheated on.

Make them lose all their competition points for 2015 and 2016, time for the NRL to get serious.

Better still kick em out of the comp all together :)

They must be paying massive overs for a lot of players. They have close to the worst backline in the comp and a bunch of young forwards. At least when Storm, Dogs and even Warriors got done they were up the top and made it worthwhile. I can understand Choc & Foz wanting to leave our drama filled management but I honestly think they have picked a bigger joke to join management wise and definitely performance wise.
I think they left because our drama filled management didn't want to pay them the ridiculous money that Parra are paying

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6