Do you support Trent Barrett?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Do you support Trent Barrett?

• Total voters
I still maintain that Des was the Penn's first choice for next year. When that couldn't happen they wanted the Dalai, and when that also couldn't happen they went and got Barrett.

Either way there was no way Tooves was going to last past this season.

And I tend to agree that they will try and throw the bank at Des if Barrett proves to be a failure as a first grade coach.

Support is an interesting word choice.

So in line with the thread, at this point in time I do not 'support' Barett at all. I will tolerate him however because he will coach our Mighty Manly Sea Eagles. Right from the beginning I will be extremely hard on him and next year expect a top 8 finish otherwise I will call for his head and for those of upper management for that matter.......simples.....!! He has a LOT to prove before he even gets a hello from me and then maybe down the track he may get my support.

I am filthy about how Toovey was treated and the blatant stupidity of politics from our owners. They have a lot to answer for and so whilst I am an extremely passionate one eyed Mighty Sea Eagles supporter. It does not mean I need to support someone such as a coach or our owners even. These are the people that are yet to show the true "Manly Spirit" and act in a manner that personfies this.

I want our team to be successful with out a doubt but support from me comes with one spilling their blood in a sense for the cause, for the Manly cause, something that Barrett has not as yet done and may never do..........!!

I have spilt it and so have many of us here, we have gone through a lot of ups and downs as Sea Eagles supporters but have held strong. That is the Manly way.......to never give up.

If TB gets it, he may do o.k. but otherwise he could just be a Punch or Judy puppet for the Penn's.

Nailed it pretty well.

Support ( in this context ) is something that will have to be gained , rather than expected automatically.

I certainly wish him all the very best, and I hope he does well with our team

If he does I'll be over the moon, if he doesn't he will be a pariah.

I just have a feeling, deep down , that he's nothing more than a Penn/ZtH puppet, and to keep the peace will do whatever they want.

And that gives me a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach .

By the way I voted yes.

I will be supporting the team.
I hope Barret does well, I won't death ride him or be overly critical.
I will give credit where credit is due.

I wouldn't say I "support" him just the team.

I support the manly club. I support manly players. I support Trent as long as he is manly. I'm on board 100%.
Go TB go Manly!!

I think our idiot owners are hoping for Hasler to come back in 2018.

I'm sure he signed an extension with the dogs until end of 2017 so that gives Barrett 2 years to prove himself.

I can't see Barrett going past the 2 years unless we make the top four each year and Hasler stays at the dogs.

I support Manly and that means Barrett. It's not his fault Tooves was treated so badly by the idiot bunch.

I think we're 1 top forward away from a top four berth. Sam Moa or James Tamou would enhance Barrett's chances enormously.
Gaining Hasler would be worse than losing 2V

I don't support Barrett, not in the least. He is nothing to do with Manly. He's a rookie that should never have been approached. he was taken on as he was cheap & will do Bozo's bidding. Fark him.
However, next season he will have my full support...

I think there has to be some pretty serious substance behind why the club wasn't happy with Tooves as coach, more than just politics. Especially since Arko came out earlier in the year and hinted he should move on, and Bozo has been moving to get him out too.

My gut says that even though Tooves bleeds maroon and white, and I'm devastated to see him turfed out, he just wasn't first grade coach material. His selections this year have been questionable, our tactics aren't moving with the times, and the players mocked his simplistic methods. I think a lot of our success is a vestige of the Hasler era, and has been fading.

Barrett seems to be quite a sharp and innovative coach, and we will have Siebold and Cartwright in the background to keep him from flying too close to the sun. I think next year's coaching staff has a lot of potential to do good things. And they deserve two years, as long as they don't win us our first spoon. But if Hasler can come back then I would welcome that, even though he dogged the club... that seemed like an argument with the Quantum faction and they're gone now.

But as for the people saying Barrett isn't a Manly player... if Ben Kennedy can become a club legend in such a short space of time then I can't see why Barrett can't either.

This is a guy who stripped all the joy and celebration away from the 2011 GF team because apparently it was all about him. I'll never forget his betrayal, theiving of staff and back ended contracts which ultimately ended it all for Tooves.
Not for me mate - without him there were no recent GF visits that weren't his work. He is manly.

My discord is with the way the Penns have behaved in undermining Toovey in the past few seasons waiting for him to crack so they could have their revenge for what ever reason they have. That to me is shameful and also most unbusiness-like for a couple of brothers who are supposed to have business nous.

As for Barrett, I have no feeling one way or the other. My only concern about him is how little experience he has had in coaching. I cant understand why he would be chosen to coach a top first grade side with nothing more than coaching a couple of country sides and being assistant coach for a short while.

But if Barrett succeeds I'll be as happy as any Manly supporter. The issue is being confused with what happened to Toovey and the Penn family's involvement in that. The question of Barrett specifically and his coaching of Manly next year is completely separate and should remain so. Barrett wasnt involved in Toovey's sacking and he is not at fault for what has been happening to Manly in recent times. Good luck to him.

I support Manly and their coach. I would much rather Tooves see out his contract but not to be.
I wish Trent luck and I want him to succeed because I want Manly to succeed. This bloke has done nothing wrong. He's just accepted a growth opportunity in his coaching career.

Agree nicci. I want Manly to win. Every week. By a lot.

I don't like what happened to Tooves. The guy was not going that badly. Every coach has teams that have slumps. Geoff had to endure the perfect storm of injuries and off field dramas. I can't remember a more sustained stream of crap having to be dealt with by any club. (Maybe the Squeels....their front office made ours look like a well oiled machine.)

But Barrett's the coach. No amount of bitching and moaning is going to change that so we get over it and move on. So he has my support. Go Manly.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4