Do we let Taupau go?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Prepare yourselves a "big" name will be tipped out of the club the cap is screwed and we need some cap room to get in to the market.
You don't get cap room by letting scraps go you have to release somebody and if it isn't him I see AFB going.
Be stunned if Walker is here next season also I'm expecting a big shake up to our roster.

"Good business for the team "is being thrown around a lot here. The most recent example of when " Good business for the team "was mentioned this much was when we let Api go and how good did that turn out !

Taupau is a leader on and off the field not just carrying the ball up or tackling he is one of the premier props in the game and a very good role model for our other young props coming through. As good as AFB is he is always pushing the envelope, a brain explosion away from spending a great deal of time on the sidelines.

You don't Rob Peter to pay Paul. We have a great stock of forwards and they are not the problem. We take out Marty and the lose AFB for whatever reason for an extended period and an injury or two to others and we are fkd In the forwards but hey we have speedy winger with the money from KAPOW !

We have a bit work to do in the backs and we have a few potential youngsters on reasonable $ it won't break the bank to fix. We have Shoe Funa and Harper looking good with Hoppa ? Walker coming back not to mention Tom, stay fit with some reasonable depth and a bloody hooker and we ain't to bad.

Short answer from me we keep Taupau it makes good business sense.

The ONLY reason to move on Taupau(and Walker to an extent) is because nobody will move on the only guys who cost more than them and there's not enough to go around.

You still haven't answered my initial surmising.

Big money props (of which we now have 3) don't win comps.

Big money spines win comps.

The point of NRL is to win trophies.

Some on here would lead you to believe it's to feel all warm and fuzzy about existing players.

Taupau is a top player. Not up for debate.

Taupau rips in every week. Not up for debate.

Taupau has been a great club man. Not up for debate.

Taupau's salary is the most expendable of our top six paid players and could be better used to balance our depth, sign positions of need, or retain some gun juniors. Yep pretty much.

At the end of the day would you rather have AFB Jake and a top 3 NRL hooker/#6 or AFB, Jake and Marty?

What would help our team more right now?

Do you really think other teams under pay their props. Klemmer is reportedly on a deal worth just under $900,000 yearly. Jared Hargraves gets minimum $700,000, though its hard to find out his latest contract agreement, Taupau reported $700,000, AFB $600,000. There are many players in this comp earning more than Taupau

So why does it have to be Marty that we should release??? Our props supposedly are
AFB
Marty
Jake T
Paseka
Keppie
Boyle
The most expensive is Jake.......

Yes, let's ditch Jake after a massive contract upgrade. That will do wonders for team harmony.

Don't think ditching Boyle or Keppie 80K will help the cap problem.

You do get what I'm saying right? I'm not saying Marty is a bad player.

This is a very simple concept.

Do you really think other teams under pay their props. Klemmer is reportedly on a deal worth just under $900,000 yearly. Jared Hargraves gets minimum $700,000, though its hard to find out his latest contract agreement, Taupau reported $700,000, AFB $600,000. There are many players in this comp earning more than Taupau

**** me we have three highly paid props. You've just named one each from a couple of random teams. Name another team with three highly paid props.

Now name a premiership winning team from the last 25 years with three highly paid props that were eating 20-25% of that team's cap.

Jared also gets around $200k a year in hair gel and deodorant sponsorship

Yes, let's ditch Jake after a massive contract upgrade. That will do wonders for team harmony.

Don't think ditching Boyle or Keppie 80K will help the cap problem.

You do get what I'm saying right? I'm not saying Marty is a bad player.

This is a very simple concept.
So we get rid of our better players to save money & buy players who we think will do a job? We don’t need anyone special & the money saved with the proposed departure of Elliott, Waddell, Croker, Thompson Etc is enough to sign a couple outside back replacements. We have enough juniors to fill a few gaps. We are ok for forwards to be honest. I don’t agree that Marty should be the one to go! The problem is that Jake is on more than he’s worth & shouldn’t have been offered so much. Yes he’s a great player & yes he’s a big part of Manly & yes I want him to stay. Players should be paid what they’re worth & Marty is getting what he’s worth! Our cap is not unbalanced because of Marty.....it’s unbalanced coz of the Trbos!

Rothfield wrote an article last year about why people were wrong to suggest Chooks were over the cap, he proved it by adding the values of their players. He put Taukeiaho at 250 K. (Absurd)

So we get rid of our better players to save money & buy players who we think will do a job? We don’t need anyone special & the money saved with the proposed departure of Elliott, Waddell, Croker, Thompson Etc is enough to sign a couple outside back replacements. We have enough juniors to fill a few gaps. We are ok for forwards to be honest. I don’t agree that Marty should be the one to go! The problem is that Jake is on more than he’s worth & shouldn’t have been offered so much. Yes he’s a great player & yes he’s a big part of Manly & yes I want him to stay. Players should be paid what they’re worth & Marty is getting what he’s worth! Our cap is not unbalanced because of Marty.....it’s unbalanced coz of the Trbos!

I agree with you the Turbo's value for money right now is looking terrible. But the alternative was losing them both and that would have been a monumental fkup by our management and derided by all supporters for decades.

So we can't do anything about that. So to clear decent cap space we need to look at guys like Marty and Walker who are in the upper tier of our cap.

I agree with you the Turbo's value for money right now is looking terrible. But the alternative was losing them both and that would have been a monumental fkup by our management and derided by all supporters for decades.

I don't see why any club should pay absolute top dollar to keep their own local juniors, who have never looked like they were going anywhere else. To me it just seems like bad negotiating.

Our last premiership winning team was full of players who could have all got more money if they signed elsewhere.

I don't see why any club should pay absolute top dollar to keep their own local juniors, who have never looked like they were going anywhere else. To me it just seems like bad negotiating.

Our last premiership winning team was full of players who could have all got more money if they signed elsewhere.
I stand corrected,but I can’t recall anyone in the Raiders side on a million,let alone 2 like Manly.

So we can't do anything about that. So to clear decent cap space we need to look at guys like Marty and Walker who are in the upper tier of our cap.
In hindsight maybe would have been better to not resign the Trbos. With their money we could have signed another good FB as well as a couple of wingers & forward! Sorry mate but we let Marty & Walker go next year will be the same if not worse than this year.

Twenty also wanted to get rid of Marty. We almost got the spoon.

Last edited:
Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4